CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester Xpert Model 96-12 Over/Under
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:25 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Winchester Over/Under 12 gauge. The barrel is identified as a Winchester Xpert Model 96-12. I have been searching for information on this shotgun with no luck. The only reference I could find refers to it as a "poor man's" model 101. However, I am unable to find any owner's manual or field repair manual for either a Winchester 101 or the Xpert 96-12.

The problem I have is the 2nd barrel will not fire unless manually selected. Whether the top or bottom barrel is selected & fired 1st, the 2nd barrel will not fire until the selector switch is moved. I like the gun a lot, but it would be even better if it fired correctly.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated??

Post subject: Re: Winchester Xpert Model 96-12 Over/Under
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm 

dstjohn wrote:
I have a Winchester Over/Under 12 gauge. The barrel is identified as a Winchester Xpert Model 96-12. I have been searching for information on this shotgun with no luck. The only reference I could find refers to it as a "poor man's" model 101. However, I am unable to find any owner's manual or field repair manual for either a Winchester 101 or the Xpert 96-12.

The problem I have is the 2nd barrel will not fire unless manually selected. Whether the top or bottom barrel is selected & fired 1st, the 2nd barrel will not fire until the selector switch is moved. I like the gun a lot, but it would be even better if it fired correctly.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated??

Are you having this problem when using live shells or with empty hulls? If it is not live shells, then bump the stock butt on the floor after the first trigger pull, then pull the trigger again. I know absolutely nothing about your gun, but this is a standard problem with guns that switch barrels on recoil and it could apply to you. No promises. If this is no help, remove the stock and clean and lube the works.

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, the problem is firing live shells. I have removed the stock and the mechanism is free, clean and well lubricated. I believe it may be assembled incorrectly as the recoil mechaism does not catch the second trigger mechanism, but with nothing to go by I have no way to tell. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:47 am 
Tournament Grade

101 are not recoil set on triggers. The should go click, click. Even on snap caps.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:35 am 
Utility Grade

tdnathens wrote:
101 are not recoil set on triggers. The should go click, click. Even on snap caps.
Tom

Thanks Tom, but this is not a 101. It is a recoil mechanism.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Well, I would double check on the recoil reset feature on the second shot.
I was pretty sure the 96 was the same (as 101) mechanically but cheapened down wood and no engraving.
All my 101's were mechanical triggers, (suspect the 96's are too)
Put the selector in the opposite configuration, so as to shoot the top barrel first and see if it shoots both barrels.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:24 am 
Diamond Grade

Okay guys listen to this, I have a mid 70's 101 O/U that is as tdnathans says, with snap caps, pop pop but my wife has a mid 80's 101 diamond grade un-single O/U combo that is just pop, it is a recoil resetter. Imagine that. I assumed it would be like my 101 but it is not.
DDF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Okay, for anyone interested here it is. I was able to find the correct owners manual on ebay for $20 (a 3 page leaflet). A little pricey, but shipping was free and at least now I have a parts list and diagram as well as the value of the correct manual for the gun. The diagram did almost nothing for me as far as confirming the correct assembly of the mechanism. But it did help to call the parts by their correct names.

The photo shows the firing mechanism for my Winchester Xpert Model 96 after correct assembly. In my case the left and right sear mechanisms were reversed. This caused them to hang up on the respective hammer springs. Therefore when the first barrel was fired, the respective sear mechanism did not drop out of the way completely and it prevented the sear catch from capturing the remaining sear.

I was able to remove the sear pin and swap the left & right sears. Now the mechanism functions flawlessly. I can't wait to go shoot some sporting clays!!! I think I will love this shotgun now.

Thanks to those of you that cared to respond. I hope this helps someone else someday.

- Bummer. For some reason I cannot get the jpg file to upload. Send me a message if you are interested.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi dstjohn,

I have recently aquired a Winchester Xpert 96/12 I have looked all over for a manual to no avail,
is there any way I could get a copy from you if I send my email address please??

Kind regards.

Bazz