CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Benelli/Beretta for a woman?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:09 am 
Field Grade

We are trying to find a semi auto for my girlfriend for dove hunting and being a woman she wants something with as light a recoil as possible. She loves the lightweight of the benelli ultra light and thinks she can handle up to the weight of the cordoba. The choices that we have narrowed it down to are the Benelli ultralight, montefeltro, and cordoba in 20 ga. We are also thinking about the Beretta A400 lite with the KO system in 12 ga. I need opinions on the recoil characteristics of these guns and what you guys would suggest for a woman. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Best Benelli/Beretta for a woman?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:36 am 

The fit of these models is going to be the most important aspect for the felt recoil. The next is the load used followed by weight and then balnace and recoil pad.

Using a good fitting gun that can cycle the lightest load possible. Is a good place to start. I would worry less about the gun being too light. You can always add weight inexpensively and easiely. Most gals tend to like the lighter weight models. Being able to handle the weight of the gun is just as important and the felt recoil. If you do end up adding weight, try to put it up front if possible. It will have more of an effect in reducing felt recoil. Balance is also important and make take a little trial and error.

It takes about 1 1/4 pounds of gun weight to equal either 130fps or 1/8oz of the load. A 20 gauge has the potential to have the least amount of recoil because they are designed to cycle lighter loads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you're looking at Bennellis then why not the new Legacy 28 gauge.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_legacy.php

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I believe if you do some research, you will find the Beretta gas-operated semi-autos have less recoil than the mechanical action Benellis.

Check out viewtopic.php?f=2&t=235332

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

My girlfriend shoot a Beretta 391 20ga/26" barrels , as long she uses only 2 3/4" , 7/8 oz for clays and if needed 1oz for hunting, she has no prblem with the recoil ,and she is 5'2" 110 lb.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get your girlfriend an 1100/1187 youth model. It'll fit her better.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:35 pm 
Crown Grade

I bought my wife the A400 with the KO system and she shoots my 3/4 oz reloads through it - the gun functions flawlessly and the targets break easily. It isn't cheap, but it is light and easy to handle and the gas action, KO system and using light loads make it a joy to shoot

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:23 pm 
Limited Edition

My wife shoots a Beretta 391 20 ga youth model. Very nice gun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought my son a Beretta A303 youth model back when he was 11 because he wanted to hunt deer and there was no ammo that he could use in his 28-gauge 1100 for that game. He tolerated it for hunting, but complained about cheek bite when shooting targets. He stuck with the 1100 for those, both in 28 and 12 gauge. Beretta has just never made a stock that felt good to anyone in our family, and that is with all the adjusting shims and whatnot. Remington got it right the first time.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Benelli 20 gauge(silver) Montefeltro. At only 5#6oz she will thank you. Plus, like most women, they like something that is pleasing to the eye. Used mine in SOdak opener last weekend with 3" Prairie Storm #5 shot and just slayed em. I also did a fair amount of dove hunting in September and the Monte cycled the lighter loads flawlessly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Difficult to find a Beretta 390 20g so the 391 20g would be a good option if it fit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

beretta thats all

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:41 am 
Presentation Grade

Worc is right my friend. Fit Fit Fit. Asking here is great and all, but your best thing is to get her out there and plop her in the middle of every gun shop you can reasonably get to. Have her start picking up guns. Be it OU/Semi/Pump she will find the gun that fits her, or she can find something close and you can have it fitted at a smith. A perfect example. My Yildiz 12ga hurts my wife to shoot. I mean 2 shells and she wants nothing more to do with it. She picked up a stoeger condor, and says it doesn't recoil to her. atleast nothing bad. both with my 7/8oz reloads. I on the other hand pick up her stoeger, and it pops my shoulder afew times and I'd rather go back to my gun. Her fits her, mine fits me. That is the best for reducing felt recoil. If you find one that is a little short, but otherwise she likes, add a kick pad. That'll add a bit of length, reduce recoil more, and keep weight light as possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fit or how well a gun's stock dimensions allow a good shooting form (gun mount, body posture and weight distribution) to be used makes a lot of difference in felt recoil.

With your girlfriend's height and weight, only a youth gun will have a stock that will come close to fitting her. Other guns' stocks will be too long, have a grip that is too large and a comb that is too low to allow her to put her cheek snugly on the stock's comb (top surface) and still be able to look along the rib. Off-the-rack guns will also be likely to bruise her breast and very possibly cause "cheek slap," which is the mashing of the cheek (cheekbone) by the comb of the stock during recoil - a stock dimension called the "pitch."

How well guns fit also has a lot to do with how well their owners will ever be able to be shot them. Shooting form is important.

I strongly recommend that your girlfriend get a gun with a youth stock. It may not fit her well but it will be a lot closer to fitting than a gun with a normal stock, one designed in an attempt to fit a man who is 5' 10" tall and weighs 160 pounds (and is most often flat chested).

Also, ask her if she can see along the surface of the rib when she has her cheek snugly on the comb (top surface) of the stock. If the comb is too nigh or too low, it will cause serious problems for your - either cheek slap or difficulty keeping her eye aligned with the rib as she swings to targets. (Her whole upper body should rotate like the turret of a tank as she swings to targets.)

When your girlfriend mounts a gun as though she was preparing to shoot it, watch her. If she puts most of her weight on her back foot with the barrel raised 45 degrees, suspect that the gun may be too heavy for her. Ideally, a little more than half of her weight should be on her front foot unless she is shooting an overhead dove.

Author: Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition - Gun-fitting & shooting instruction for shooters of all ages and disciplines. http://www.amazon.com in their book section.

Last edited by Rollin Oswald on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:02 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Check out the Beretta 3901 RL before you get anything...made for kids and women

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I'm not sure how a man knows what is best for a woman, but I see that at least 14 men feel otherwise.

Interesting.

Kind of funny as well.

R.