CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ljutic mono trap shotguns ?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Please tell me about Ljutic single-shot trap guns.

Have visited their website.

A fellow has a used one that appears in mint condition.

One Krieghoff K-80 shooter tells me that Ljutics feel very heavy.

Post subject: Re: Ljutic mono trap shotguns ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:46 am 
Tournament Grade

"One Touch" Mono ...Approx 9.5 lbs. Not for everyone.

This model: New $7.5K, used $4.5-$6K... street prices. Quality solid guns, poor resale.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:32 am 
Limited Edition

I just bought one and am looking forward to trying it out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:44 am 
Diamond Grade

Catching Chrome,
Let us know what you think of that Dynokik, I was interested in that but had a 101 un-single that I am buying. I have handled a couple Ljutics, they felt good and pointed well just have never shot one. I think they would be a great gun, Rastis likes his and he has had more guns than most gun shops. :lol:
Let us know what you think.
DDF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ljutic's have a loyal following in the trap community. Have a reputation of being one of the most reliable shotguns in the game. American manufactured. Machanically simple and built hell for stout. Many of us feel they are ugly, but to each their own. If there was any issue with the line it would be resale value. To beat resale, just buy a used one.

maltz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In my opinion the Ljutic SBT is the finest Trap gun made. Yes, my Mono Gun also weighs 9.5lbs, but, once shouldered, it feels lighter than most other guns I've used.

It is by far the simplest gun in the Trap world and probably the gun world. Therefore, it won't break. It will only let you down if you extremely fail to maintain it. In over 8,000 rounds I've had two FTFs and both were caused by a dirty firing pin hole. To clean it, you remove one Allan screw and the pin comes out. Swab out the area with a Q-Tip and you're good to go. Show me one other gun that can be cleaned that easily?

The trigger group comes out by pushing out one pin. There are only 3 moving parts in the trigger group and 13 parts total.

The Ejector can be switched to an Extractor by locking the Ejector Sear in place with two screws:

If used as an Ejector gun, it is not selective. This means that it ejects the shell whether or not you've fired.

The trigger has the most consistent pull weight of any gun I've tested. Mine pulls right at 5lbs with less than .05lb variation. Some think this is too heavy, but I really like it. Very, very little creep. Not bench rest rifle good, but close.

You really notice how fantastic this gun is when you switch from another gun to this one. If I shoot a round with my Cynergy then shoot a round with my Ljutic, wow. Even when I've shot some really nice guns like a K-80 or a Perazzi MX-15, then shoot the Ljutic, I feel fortunate to own the Ljutic.

If I had to choose from this list:
Browning BT-99
Perazzi TM-1
Perazzi TMX
Perazzi MX-15
Krieghoff KX-5
Caesar Guerini Unsingle
Beretta DT-10 Unsingle
Ljutic Mono Gun

I would pick the Mono Gun every time. I've shot all those guns and still the Ljutic stands out to me.

I almost bought the Dynakick that Catching Chrome is buying, but I already have a Ljutic and I think he will get better use out of it than I will. Yes, they have a unique look. I will admit that that is part of the appeal to me. If you get a chance, shoot one. Then you will see what I'm talking about.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Have been told by some that if you start shooting and get good with a Ljutic, that the Ljutic shoots so different that you will not be able to shoot another gun.

Not necessarily that you will not want to... But that you won't be able to hit with any other gun.

What is y'all's experience in that regard ?

Currently looking at a Ljutic, but don't expect to sell my other guns.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rastoff wrote:

If I had to choose from this list:

Browning BT-99
Perazzi TM-1
Perazzi TMX
Perazzi MX-15
Krieghoff KX-5
Caesar Guerini Unsingle
Beretta DT-10 Unsingle
Ljutic Mono Gun

Please rank your list in order of preference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

Most of us don't have enough money to have owned most of these shotguns, you will have to ask some of the elite shooters like Maltz and Rastis. :D
DDF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can't rank the Ljutic, without some line time, but I do know it has one of the fastest lock timing in the gun business. Those that have spent time with a fast lock develop a sense of need and change their human computer timing to reflect the guns. One of the reason the Perazzi and Ljutic crowd sticks to their gun for a lifetime.

maltz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually, I don't have much money. I've just been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Then I also have some friends with some nice guns. Shoot, DDF you have my old BT-99, a Beretta Unsingle and a 101 single. You have more SBTs than I do.

Hammer1,
I can't rank that list except to say what I've already said. A friend just bought a Perazzi MX-15 Unsingle with a left hand stock on it. I'm gonna try to get him to let me shoot it tomorrow. The only reason he has it and not me is he got to the store before I did.

I stand by my statement that the Ljutic is at the top of that list. Even so, I was considering trading my Ljutic for that MX-15. Why? Because the MX-15 can be made into a combo and the Ljutic can't. I know DDF will find this strange coming from me, but, I'd rather have one combo than a bunch of other guns.

I'm still a gun enthusiast and will always be looking for another gun. It would just be nice to have one gun as my main competition gun. Switching back and forth is not helping my averages.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

The switching of guns, or should I say the "want" of a gun, is a very contagious desease and most of us are not immune. And..................... I love to rib ol Rastis as he will come back right away. :wink:
DDF

That lock time that Maltz is talking about would make a huge difference once you ae used to it and switch back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maltzie mentioned lock time. For a long time I was a lock time skeptic. It just sounded unlikely that a person could tell the difference between a few milliseconds. Then I got my Ljutic. Wow!

I pull the trigger on the Ljutic and the target is broken before my finger is done moving backward. It's like shooting on thought. So yes, lock time is a real factor and you'll notice it when you get a gun with a really fast time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is a dramatic difference between triggers. Both the lock time and break over. Trigger creep is another issue that most people disregard because they take the slack out before calling or they just slap the trigger hard. But, there is an obvious difference in how we point and follow, as it relates to the trigger. The quicker the lock time the less important the follow. Proven every shot on long yardage handicap with any gun. We can and do notice 3 milliseconds, we notice and get the feel of how clean the trigger breaks. Release, slaper or squeezer. Some of the differences between a 2000 dollar shotgun compared to a 10,000 dollar shotgun. Also the reason why no one truly buys a gun for a lifetime if trying to imrove. Ljutic is just one of the upsale guns that designed a simple, fast trigger. Drop the hammer on a Ljutic, then drop the hammer on a Browning. Even new shooters can feel and hear the difference. Fast is an advantage.

Maltz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ljutic triggers may have some quick lock times, but keeping them consistent in the amount of pull or release weights is an ongoing issue.

Ask me (+ many others) how I know. The fix is to have Ljutic or a qualified gunsmith work on them w/ no guarantee that they'll stay put for any length of time. When your trigger pull goes to 9 lbs you'll know it.

Better yet, ask Phil of Phillip's Gunsmithing how much he $ charges.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For the price of trigger groups, a Ljutic shooter could have a spare. Most Pgun shooters have 1 or more spare groups in their shooting bag. They always carry replacement leaf springs...its mandated by the trap Gods. If your going to break one, its either the 100th target on a 100 straight or on the first post. One or the other, the squad waits.

Great story......this year at the Cebela's shoot at Owatonna, MN. Last day, last handicap I'm shooting with a squad of MinidamsOta long yardage guys. All shooting very well, including me. Calcutta money on the line. All shooting Pguns, accept me. In the middle of the last trap one of the boy's breaks a trigger spring. Resulted in some choice words discribing how he felt about his MX-2000. I was worried that Dead Dogs wife would hear the tirade, and I know she has never listened to language like that before ....ya right. Ayway, this unhappy shooter holds the squad up and says he is going to get his spare gun. He show up a few minutes latter with Silver Sietz. An even more expensive gun than the Pgun. I was thinkin' if he would give both to me, mad and all. I could sell them and buy a new truck. My upset squadmate calls for his target and centers it first shot down the barrel. Didn't miss a target with the Sietz. Leaving me to wonder just how many high dollar guns the man owns and if he could shoot all of them equally as well as the others.

Trap shooters....makes ya wonder.

Maltz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Reading threads like this just make me sad about how little I know about all this stuff. Lock times and pull weights, etc. I have an old BT 99 with a release. I have no idea what it sets at or releases at. I just pull back and hold tight and then let go. The frickin' thing goes off every time using cheap shells.

The good news is that tomorrow I get to shoot ATA and that old 99 will deliver better score than about a quarter million dollars worth of other guns. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

Tyner is right and he has a good point, but it is very interesting to see what the ladies and gents with money can buy. I bet ol Jim just loves to beat those people also :wink: I know I would and do. Its not the arrow, its the indian.
DDF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:08 pm 
Limited Edition

I'll give the report on the dynokic. I am very interested in trying it out. I've read alot about them and have always wanted to get one. My buddy is going to bust my b@lls about it because he thinks I should just stick with one gun. I tend to agree but something about the Ljutics makes me want to try one. Maybe is it because they have history and are made in the US by real americans. So for the $1200 I have into it is worth a try. I'm sure I'll like it, might take me 1000 rounds or two but we'll see. I'll post a report!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

An interesting point is that the Dynokick is different than the Mono Gun. The lock time is not as fast due to the way the trigger works. Your trigger group will not look like the picture above.

I'm very curious to hear your report. I'm also glad you got the gun. On one level I'm kicking myself for letting it go. Even so, I'm glad it will be used and enjoyed. That's what these guns are made for. I know at least one guy who claims to have more than 100,000 rounds through his with no parts replaced.