CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Duck retreiving without the dog?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey guys, I'm hoping for a little bit of help. I am primarily a quail hunter. However in the area I hunt there are some streams and a couple of small ponds. Wednesday I was out and about a dozen mallards lifted off of one pond and it would have been easy shooting. I was loaded for quail, #7, so not going to try and knock down a duck with a light load. My question is without a dog to retreive what ways other than a swim, can I use to retrieve a duck in the water. The ponds not more than 50 ft across. Any thoughts out there?

Post subject: Re: Duck retreiving without the dog?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:16 pm 
Limited Edition

A fishing rod with a topwater and a big hook.

I have never tried it but hear it works.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

Specklebelly wrote:
A fishing rod with a topwater and a big hook.

I have never tried it but hear it works.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shoot the ducks so the wind will blow it over to where you can get it. Use a small boat, Golf ball retriever with a hook on the end, fishing pole, lots of ways. I hunted without a dog for several years.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nwcanoe wrote:
I was loaded for quail, #7, <snip> Any thoughts out there?

I assume you mean a lead load? You better not be shooting ducks with it! Steel and other non-tox are the only other legal options.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

We shoot tidal marshes. Sometimes the tide and wind are your friends, sometimes they are not. We generally use a fairly short, stout casting rod, but with a bit of a twist. Instead of using a hook or a treble hook, one of the fellows developed this method and it works great, just don't ask me how. We use a four or five ounce bank sinker. But instead of using the hole in the sinker, we drill another hole in it about a quarter to a third of the way down and attach the line there. Cast it out over the bird, and it usually snags a wing or the neck. It's also good for retrieving decoys.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:12 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Plan your stalk so the ducks will fall on the edge of the pond or over land. Be sure to mark the bird down and do not shoot doubles if the cover is high. Hunt with a friend who has a retriever. 50 years ago I took off my clothes and retrieved them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lots of great ideas. Thanks. I particularly like the lead sinker idea. I had thought about a treble hook but with all the stuff in the water its sure to get snagged. I also should have clarified my loads. I shoot lead #7 for quail but last year I carried steel shot and changed out when I was sneaking up on potential duck water. I will follow the same method this year. I was lucky, got two ducks late in the season and they were close to shore but wasnt crazy about wading out up to my knees. So this year I will try to carry some retreival gear. Never did any duck hunting before and I'm really excited about it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nwcanoe wrote:
I shoot lead #7 for quail but last year I carried steel shot and changed out when I was sneaking up on potential duck water. I will follow the same method this year.

It's illegal to even POSSESS lead ammo when hunting waterfowl. Not worth losing your gun over.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As drs said you canm not even have any lead on your person period. If you do you are breaking a federal law. Get some steel sixes for the Quail if you really want to shoot ducks in this spot.

"I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more , is none"
Bill S.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:34 pm 
Crown Grade

There is a floating hook that someone markets to retrieve ducks. I think it is called the DWADR. Basically it is a rod bent into shape with foam on either end so it floats. It can be used for retrieving ducks and decoys with some practice.

Found it: http://www.dwadr.com/

I didn't want to pay $30 and wait for it to be shipped so I bought some rod and used some pipe insulation foam to build my own for about $3. It is pretty simple after all. I had some velcro sewn onto my floating gun case to carry the retriever with me so it does not take up any extra room.

Jeremiah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for setting me straight on the correct type of shot when going after ducks. Steel all the way makes good sense.

The deep water retreival device looks interesting and I'm with you I can make one if the rod and sinker device does'nt work, but in cattails and seaweed I think it might get hung up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Local guy makes these:

Dwadr

I won one at a local Delta event, works really well once you learn to throw it, but I rarely hunt deep water, well, deeper than my belly.

NRA Life Member

"....if you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Duckboat or chestwaders. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Propiels pocket fisherman.

Word of caution though, make damned sure you have a fishing license too. Buddy of mine got busted for fishing during duck season and no fishing license, True story.

who, coincidently, can hit what I am aiming at.

"Fear God, Love your Neighbor, KILL Ducks."
Phil Robertson,The Duck Commander