CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much does a GOOD skeet gun cost? Not that much, lol.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:53 am 
Limited Edition

How many times have I / we / you heard the saying ....... "For a serious shooter the cost of the gun is a minor expense" ??

You newbies to skeet shooting, asking questions about the cost of a skeet gun, and why won't an El-Cheapo do just as well, because those B-Guns and K-Guns are Soooooooo expensive ......

Pay attention. Because ......

Well ... I have the proof. :lol: :lol:

And to all of you guys who "told me so" .... I should have listened. :oops: :lol:

I have never had such an awakening in my shooting experience. I've owned all types of guns over the years, and still maintain several for our enjoyment. I'm what I would call a "regular" at the local gun club, and usually spent my time at the high-power range or the pistol range. I hunt sporadically, and it's usually 2-3 trips a year out to Texas for feral pigs, and to South Dakota for coyotes and prairie dogs. And I also thought that 800-1000 rounds on a prairie dog trip was a BUNCH. Even with all of this, I never actually thought it was costing me "all that much" to shoot. Especially since I shoot my reloads all the time. And you know what? ............. It wasn't costing very much.

Then my son developed a huge interest in shooting skeet .......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

He started shooting the first week in September. That's 2 months ago. We spent $900 roughly on his first "learning" shotgun.

To this date, counting only ammo prices (I reload, remember) and range fees, we have spent $2000. :shock: :shock: Not including the gun, 2 reloaders, his vest, glasses, muffs, etc, etc. :roll:

That's going to be (if we continue this pace) almost $12,000 a year !!! Just for ammo & range time..... :? And I suspect he'll want to step it up a notch when school is out this summer.

And to some of you experienced skeet shooters, that's probably no surprise.

Please don't get me wrong ... I literally LOVE the fact that he's getting serious about skeet and that we can spend time together doing something we both like to do. Heck ... I'd live on Beenie-Weenies if that's what it took to allow him to do this.

So .... YEAH ... the cost of a good skeet gun is indeed your LEAST investment if you start taking the sport seriously.

That new Citori or Beretta with a tube set that he wants doesn't seem nearly as expensive as it once did ...... :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

(and I've also done my LAST compilation of the money we're spending doing this wonderful sport) :wink:

Post subject: Re: How much does a GOOD skeet gun cost? Not that much, lo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LOL, welcome to the club! :)

Costs should level off a bit now, as you have most all of the big components. Buying reloading supplies in bulk from some place like Recob's or Connies will help. Primers by the 5000, and not the 209's but something less expensive. Powder in 8# Jugs,(bought 32# last time around) something that can be used on several gauges like Unique also helps. (I got a bunch of Russian Unique CHEAP and it works just fine) I use it for 20 & 28 and have heard of some using it in 12g with 7/8's but please don't take that at face from me, but rather ask DLM or someone on the loading forum. There are some ways to save on lead as well, Connie's will deliver it to your door at a pretty good price, but your delivery guy will HATE YOU!! :)

Best to you, and I hope you have a future champion there!

Jim

Thank you Lord for making me a dog lover.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
Crown Grade

That's cheap considering the cost of beer, weed, cocaine, heroin, rehab, meth, more rehab, lost relationship with family, more drugs, more rehab.

Spend time now, it will be worth it.

NSCA #551026
FORUMS are ENTERTAINMENT. They don't teach shooting! Watch anonymous big talkers. You get a tip, not a system. Some will have you chasing your tail from eye dominance to ???

Want to *really* shoot? Get a coach & work your a$$ off.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:17 pm 
Limited Edition

DrJim wrote:
LOL, welcome to the club! :)

Costs should level off a bit now, as you have most all of the big components. Buying reloading supplies in bulk from some place like Recob's or Connies will help. Primers by the 5000, and not the 209's but something less expensive. Powder in 8# Jugs,(bought 32# last time around) something that can be used on several gauges like Unique also helps.

Jim

Jim, you are very correct. I've always bought my reloading supplies for the rifles in as large quantities as are feasible. It really helps tremendously.

Eriehunter wrote:
That's cheap considering the cost of beer, weed, cocaine, heroin, rehab, meth, more rehab, lost relationship with family, more drugs, more rehab.

Spend time now, it will be worth it.

Like I said ... I welcome the opportunity to be a friend and companion whenever the situation allows. I wasn't complaining at all. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hate to say "I told you so", so I'll say "Welcome to the addiction!" :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:35 pm 
Limited Edition

drsfmd wrote:
Hate to say "I told you so", so I'll say "Welcome to the addiction!" :)

LOL ... :lol: ... I wondered how long it would be before you took advantage of this ... :lol: :wink:

Luckily, I think I have an outlet for the little field gun that he has ... without taking much of a hit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:47 am 
Crown Grade

Money wise, skeet shooting makes no sense at all.............therefore, it makes no sense to think about the money spent skeet shooting.

A really good gun is a thing of beauty and a hard working tool that you are proud to own. So, that does makes sense!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:57 am 
Tournament Grade

I can see a new reality intervention show in the works...

Instead of "Hoarders" it will be "Skeeters" or something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:53 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
business rule 101...make them think they need something first, then push the product.

why is skeet expensive.
well, lets compare to rifle shooting practice.

rifle:
1. you buy a box of paper targets that last you 5 years before you shoot the last one. you can shoot 100 rounds at the same target and paste it. you use a staple gun or tape to hold it up.
2. each shot is calculated and squeezed off with care.
3. most rifles will drill holes right out of the box. and most rifles are less than 900.00.
4. ammo is expensive and comes in boxes of 20, so you dont waste shots.
5. rifle bores loose zero and wear out.
6. you can spend an entire day shooting just 50 rounds.

shotguns:
1. its one shot at one target and it costs money to help maintain a machine that throws them.
2. each shot is shot quickly.
3. all shotguns will hit targets right out of the box and most shotguns are less than 900.00.
4. ammo is cheaper than rifles, so the thought of burning up 250 rounds a day is no sweat.
5. shotguns last forever.
6. in 20 minutes, 25 rounds are gone.
=========================

most used shotguns are marketed as still reliable.
like cars, shotgun mfg'ers dont want you holding on to that 2 year old gun. they want you in a new one!
and for you guys that do hold on to those old guns, there are 500 accessory dealers selling you new snake oil every corner you turn.
so, you have a choice, believe the bait or buy something more reasonable used. spend that extra money on targets and develop skills, instead of building a fancy race gun that will be old in 2 years.

bottom line....
rifle cheap / ammo expensive / targets cheap.

shotgun expensive / ammo cheap / targets expensive

the more thrill involved, the more youre gonna pay. that goes for any sport.

i really think the sticker shock of shotguns has roots back to the fact that clay shotgunning was a sport of wealth and class. it was common that everyone shot model 21's, smoked cuban cigars, and many other high dollar guns like parker, lefever, and ithaca. part of the game too was seeing who joe shows up at the range with. and too, the clothes and the car he drove in with.
this is still very common in europe. and its why most clubs in america require someone to still be voted in.
of course, times have changed, but there are still roots that lead back to that lifestyle still with us. money is still used to seperate sportsmen.
remington made skeet more available to the regular joe and stole the market crown from big W.
today...companies still push expensive guns. but they are european companies, since usa went down the tubes in the gun trade. and car companies give cars away at big shoots. its why people have 900.00 shooting pouches wearing designer vests costing a few hundred.
dont be fooled, the classing of shooters is alive and well. snobbery is still doing well.
and what you shoot is in some cases more important than your score.
and who you shoot with or who teaches you is more important than just having a great time in public.
that gun you bought? it will be the cheapest thing you buy if you stay in skeet.
get a second job, quick!
cheers.....

hope it helps. {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:58 am 
Limited Edition

bobski wrote:
get a second job, quick!
{hs#

What if I just put HIM to work after school? :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Seems to me no one has gave you a #, I have a friends gun he is wanting to sell. It is a Kolar with 28" barrels and tubes and case, it is about 10 years old but was not shot much, it is in great shape, it would retail for about 5500.00 but he will take $4500.00 which is wholesale. Hope this gives you a answer, the thing about a good used gun is it will hold its value, so if you want to sell it later you won't loose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
6. in 20 minutes, 25 rounds are gone.

If you want to save money and pace yourself, join a squad of new shooters, particularly if they're all cousins from East Toad Hollow and are sharing one gun. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 pm 
Limited Edition

WAM SKEET wrote:
Seems to me no one has gave you a #, I have a friends gun he is wanting to sell. It is a Kolar with 28" barrels and tubes and case, it is about 10 years old but was not shot much, it is in great shape, it would retail for about 5500.00 but he will take $4500.00 which is wholesale. Hope this gives you a answer, the thing about a good used gun is it will hold its value, so if you want to sell it later you won't loose.

Thanks for the offer. We've been looking around and talking to people who are seasoned skeet shooters, and already have an idea of where we're going with the next gun. That's a good deal, but we're not ready to drop the hammer on a gun quite yet. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:33 am 
Diamond Grade

Just trying to give you so idea's, best of luck Allen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:13 am 
Limited Edition

WAM SKEET wrote:
Just trying to give you so idea's, best of luck Allen.

And your offer was much appreciated. :wink: