CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 590A1 18.5" +2 extension from Choate!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:51 am 
Tournament Grade

My custom Choate-Newton extension is purdier. :D

"Dad, when I grow up I want to be a diver..."
"Nonsense son, no-one has ever done both."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:26 pm 
Utility Grade

After seeing the pictures, I just put in an order to Choate. I guess I wont need my extension from Max100 if that ever shows up (which is doubtful at this point)

Thanks Choate!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:24 pm 
Field Grade

Why is it I discover the "right" solution at the very moment I realize I'm out of cash and laid off?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 pm 
Field Grade

Is this a special order(+2 mag extension)? Or is it available for purchase online(Choate website)? what is the model number? This is for my 590A1 18.5"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 am 
Field Grade

sbninja wrote:
Is this a special order(+2 mag extension)? Or is it available for purchase online(Choate website)? what is the model number? This is for my 590A1 18.5"

From Fred Choate, Jan 18th:
Captain Caveman 75 wrote:
Choate now offers a 1 round extension for the 590A1/5500 shotguns part #02-04-01 ( it was assigned a part # 5 min ago). It is 4 1/4 inches long and comes with a new spring, Orange shell follower and sling swivel clamp. The sling swivel clamp supports the extension and allows for sling attachment the left or right of the gun.
Thanks
FC

I don't see it on their website yet, and searching for the part number yields no results (whereas searching for 02-04-02 successfully finds the blued extension - so I know the search would work if the part were on the website). However others have said they had no problem calling up directly to order using that part number.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I received my 590A1 extension from Choate.

Bad news: The extension is welded crooked to the nut resulting in a downward slope of the extension. I emailed Choate and they offered to exchange it, but I need to ship it back at my own expense :(

The good news is that it works !! Even though the weld is off, the extension functions perfectly.

Using the Mossberg-supplied follower, and the new spring shipped with the extension, I can fit 7 in the tube (+2) with 1/2" to spare.

More good news: The CDM MOD-C light mount fits the A1 :D

I know it's not supposed to, but maybe the extension has a slightly smaller diameter allowing it to fit :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's too bad. I'd send it back if I were you. It might make your rounds fly crooked. :shock:

"Dad, when I grow up I want to be a diver..."
"Nonsense son, no-one has ever done both."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:47 pm 
Utility Grade

I wouldn't want the rounds to shoot crooked!!! :lol:

Extension on its way back to Choate for replacement.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 pm 
Field Grade

dsimonl wrote:
Bad news: The extension is welded crooked to the nut resulting in a downward slope of the extension.
More good news: The CDM MOD-C light mount fits the A1 :D

I have to imagine you noticed the crooked extension before attaching the MOD-C... but I still have to ask anyway... no chance the MOD-C itself is spreading them apart due to the barrel on the A1 being thicker than the MOD-C was designed for?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Good question.

No, The crooked extension was very noticeable during installation (it wobbled as it was screwed in). I didn't tighten down the MOD-C very much because I knew I would return the Choate and didn't want to scratch it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:04 pm 
Field Grade

Sorry it's a bit hard to follow this thread, as it has branched off into different directions.

So , Back to original topic, "Mossberg 590A1 18.5" +2 extension from Choate"

Is this actually a +1 mag extension? Is it parkerized? For those who ordered and received, what is the part number. The part number posted above, is for a blue 7 round mag extension :?

I don't really need a +2 for my Mossberg 590A1 18.5" barrel. I would really like a +1(6 round in the magazine).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:51 am 
Utility Grade

sbninja wrote:
Sorry it's a bit hard to follow this thread, as it has branched off into different directions.

So , Back to original topic, "Mossberg 590A1 18.5" +2 extension from Choate"

Is this actually a +1 mag extension? Is it parkerized? For those who ordered and received, what is the part number. The part number posted above, is for a blue 7 round mag extension :?

I don't really need a +2 for my Mossberg 590A1 18.5" barrel. I would really like a +1(6 round in the magazine).

6+1 with the supplied orange follower, or 7+1 with the stock follower.

I received my extension today. I will post pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 pm 
Field Grade

I called and provided the part number that Mr. Choate left earlier in the thread (02-04-01). I received my extension in about three days and am very pleased with it. As stated, Choate is selling it as a +1 as that is all it will take with their supplied follower. The factory follower allows it to hold +2. I am curious if there is an intermediate length follower available that will both allow the extension to hold +2 AND provide a little spring relief.

I'm hoping to get a lot of use out of the extension this Spring and Summer and then post an update on how the spring holds up when used as a +2.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 590A1 18.5" +2 extension from Choate!**Update**
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:24 pm 
Field Grade

Well, I received my mag extension today :D Like posted above, Choate calls it a +1, it comes with their orange follower, new spring and barrel/mag extension clamp sling mount.

Very nice! using the Mossberg factory follower, it fits 7 round (tight fit) of winchester rifled hollow point slugs.

dsimonl posted that his came welded crooked, resulting in a downward slope. . When the mag extension is installed, it appears to have this slight "downward slope". I do not think anything is wrong with the mag extension - it is very well made.

I believe it only appears to have a down ward slope because the barrel is "tapered" and the magazine tube and mag extension is "straight" ;) at least on my 590A1. Not saying dsimonl doesn't indeed have a defective mag extension.

I also tried installing the sling swivel clamp. But it is not properly sized, when tightened down, it spreads the barrel and mag extension apart :( - no good. I will try to find an alternative.

**Update**
Well finding an alternative sling mount is proving difficult. So I decided to make the Choate Barrel/mag extension clamp work. It took a bit of flattening,bending, and some filing. But now it clamps nicely to the barrel and mag extension, without spreading the two apart.

I did however look into the CDM "MT" clamp which would work, but its a bit expensive. It might get this in the future, if i intend to mount a flashlight.

Also, I ordered a Brownell aluminum "orange" follower and a Wolff tubular magazine spring. It is 40" so I would need to cut to length. Though I am not sure how long yet.

Last edited by sbninja on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 pm 
Limited Edition

I have found that the follower on the Choate is just not what I was expecting. Even their custom length spring, the follower tends to get "stuck" at the end and tactical reloads become problematic.

That said, I am going to get the Aimpro red steel follower instead.

Just a tip for folks who put the Aimpro heat shield on their 590A1's now that you have a true +2 extension, take either a pop can or a plastic pop bottle hull and cut out a length of it that will wrap around your barrel, just under where you will slide the head shield on.

Aimpro recommends using oil/lube/grease when you do this. I found that putting a sacrificial "sleeve" works better, not as messy on the barrel, and doesn't affect the function.

Now, if only Mossberg would get their butts in gear and include the choate extension, Surefire forend, and Aimpro heat shield on a factory offering, we'd all be in heaven. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:00 pm 
Field Grade

100W_Warlock wrote:
I have found that the follower on the Choate is just not what I was expecting. Even their custom length spring, the follower tends to get "stuck" at the end and tactical reloads become problematic.

That said, I am going to get the Aimpro red steel follower instead.

Just a tip for folks who put the Aimpro heat shield on their 590A1's now that you have a true +2 extension, take either a pop can or a plastic pop bottle hull and cut out a length of it that will wrap around your barrel, just under where you will slide the head shield on.

Aimpro recommends using oil/lube/grease when you do this. I found that putting a sacrificial "sleeve" works better, not as messy on the barrel, and doesn't affect the function.

Now, if only Mossberg would get their butts in gear and include the choate extension, Surefire forend, and Aimpro heat shield on a factory offering, we'd all be in heaven. ;)

Nice tip {hs# That should work nicely.
I did just buy a Mossberg heat shield for my 18.5" 590A1. Obviously, it took a bit of modifying but it worked out just fine. I found out about the Aimpro tactical heat shield a couple days too late :( oh well.