CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rossi single shots and slugs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I was just thumbing through the rossi catalog and saw they say not to fire slugs from their single shot shotgun(I just picked up a 20 ga)... is this just them covering their asses, trying to make people spend more on their slug guns, or is there a legitamate reason... its a modified choke barrel and I was under the assumption that you could fire slugs from one with no issue... can I use this as a slug gun?...

Post subject: Re: rossi single shots and slugs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Manufacturer says no... I think you already have your answer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

I doubt the receivers can stand to pressures generated by a slug load. You are better off by saving yoyr money and buying an HR slugster, or a Mossy 500 Field and Deer combo. A Remmy 870 Field and Deer combo would be better yet, if you can find one at a reasonable price. The Mossy 500 combo can usually be had for around $300.00 and will do everything you need, from deer to doves and bobwhites to bears.

ST762

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I already got the gun... I was just wondering if there was a legit reason since the catalog only says that they aren't designed for slugs... no other information is offered, and when I called and asked they told me what amounted to "because we say so"... when I asked the guys at gander if it could handle slugs the one told me that he hunts deer with the 12ga model... and a couple of people I asked said it had to do with the heavy recoil these guns have with slugs...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

When in doubt, don't do it!! Personally, I think that is Rossi refused to give you a satisfactory answer to a basic question, and did so in a less than professional manner, I would take that gun back to GM and trade it towards a new Mossberg 500 or remington 870 Fieald and Deer combo. They are quality firearms (Rossi is questionable quality at best) and are both made in America. I cannot speak for Remmy, but Mossy CS was wonderful when I called with a question regarding my 500 Slugster. The young lady who helped me was very knowledgeable and polite. I will put my 2 cents in for a Mossy or Remmy to replace the Rossi due to Rossi's poor CS.

ST762

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Trade it in fit a H&H USH, you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:28 am 
Tournament Grade

No edit button?
Oh well, I meant H&R USH, lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:58 am 
Tournament Grade

The H/R USH is a very good weapon, but consider if you need a follow up shot. With slugs, they are seldom necessary,, but it is better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it.

ST762

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I have talked to several people(enough to feel confident it is safe) now who have run slugs through these guns with no issues other than they kick like a mule(team)...the only recommendation was to avoid 3" mags... I think I might try with mine this weekend... heavy recoil ain't gonna scare me off... apparently, according to a couple of the guys I talked to, they are pretty accurate with rifled slugs...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

vincyr wrote:
I have talked to several people(enough to feel confident it is safe) now who have run slugs through these guns with no issues other than they kick like a mule(team)...the only recommendation was to avoid 3" mags... I think I might try with mine this weekend... heavy recoil ain't gonna scare me off... apparently, according to a couple of the guys I talked to, they are pretty accurate with rifled slugs...

You sir, are an accident waiting to happen. The manufacturer says no... the reason WHY they say no is irrelevant (and I assure you, it has NOTHING to do with recoil!).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:35 am 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
vincyr wrote:

You sir, are an accident waiting to happen. The manufacturer says no... the reason WHY they say no is irrelevant (and I assure you, it has NOTHING to do with recoil!).

no body (even rossi) has been able to give me a definitive answer as to why not... all the reasons I have been given have been speculation at best, and I have actually spoken to people who have used them as slug guns with no issues... rossi's catalog doesn't even state that is is unsafe, only that it is designed for shot shells, not for slugs, and that could just be a reference to the choked barrel ... and since they sell a gun designed for slugs for $130 more than the shotgun I bought, their motives are more likely monetary than safety oriented

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have the 20 ga. Rossi with the rifled slug barrel and it is a tack driver with Hastings slugs, ( that I can't get anymore) But looking at the two actions I can't see any difference. I have never heard of a shot gun that was ok to shot the heavy-est hunting loads that would not be ok to shoot slugs in it!!
I Have no idea why Rossi would say that???
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:34 pm 
Utility Grade

tested it out today... here is a link to the review I did over at BushcraftUSA

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22164

handled the slugs fine... only real issue I saw was the recoil...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:56 pm 
Field Grade

I have a rossi matched pair in 22 and 20 ga. It is my daughters gun. I WILL NOT let her shoot slugs through it. The recoil is HORRENDOUS!! I wont even let her shoot shot through it til i weight it down. I won't even shoot it. Have over a pound of lead shaped to fit into the hole in the rear stock and it STILL kicks HARD. A detached retina is not worth it.

Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor. Christian Outdoorsman, sharing the bounty and glory God has made.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:59 pm 
Field Grade

Vincyr,
Your parents had a great time raising you didn't they!?! You were that kid that questioned EVERY order, directive, statement they made weren't you? LOL Because i said didn't carry mush weight with me either, but pain and suffering kept me pointed in the right direction.

Ohio Hunter Ed and Trapper Ed Instructor. Christian Outdoorsman, sharing the bounty and glory God has made.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:13 am 
Utility Grade

good idea with the lead... good ol' practical physics... IMO, the recoil is harsh, but not unmanageable... a thicker recoil pad would be a good idea if you were to use it solely for slugs, me thinks... as to putting my parents through hell.... well I did, but not for those reasons... I wouldn't have run slugs through the gun if I hadn't talked to several people(including two professional gunsmiths) who had already done so and vouched for the safety of the operation... for the money I spent on it, I'm happy... I haven't even picked up a shotgun in years and I managed to make 6 "kill zone" shots (3 shots at a target I didn't picture in the review) at 30 yards... not to toot my own horn, but I can get at least that close to a deer on a bad day...with practice, I could probably get deadly out to at least 50...around these parts that's the most you could ever need...