CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will someone explain the function of a "Breacher Tube"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:24 pm 
Field Grade

I have been seeing these on a few stock shotguns such as the Remington Tactical and Mossberg Special Cruiser models. They are also available from Carlson as aftermarket. They look "bad a$$" but I'm not fully understanding their function.

They seem to be a viable device for controlling your opponent in CQB or am I mistaken in that application ?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Will someone explain the function of a "Breacher Tube"
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

The purpose of a breacher is to remove hinges and latch plates to gain entry to a locked building/room during a raid. They are designed to work without blowing up your barrel and assist in keeping the muzzle in place for best shot placement.
Not really practical for most of us...unless you can't find your keys...and you want to buy a new door anyway...when you get out of jail.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:04 am 
Diamond Grade

they look like those drill bits that you see at home depot for drilling a hole in a door. and i'm not sure what you're supposed to do with one. i just did a quick search on the world authority of door breaching: youtube, and didn't even see one. but on to your second point: i'm pretty sure that if you're in a situation where you have to point a shotgun at someone, you wouldn't want to make things any worse than they already are by poking at 'em with one of those things. good luck with it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:52 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the responses.

I've also seen this device called a "stand off" tube. What/who are you standing off ?

Re: my second point. What immediately came to mind were the days when I was imbedded in a Mechanized Infantry unit in a then partitioned Germany. Being trained in military urban warfare I thought this would be an excellent device to assist in controlling the enemy in a face-to-face, body-to-body encounter. Shotguns with fixed bayonet were not that common then; I provided my own Remington 12 guage. The use of this "drill bit", although not as effective as a bayonet, may be a useful substitute. I know I would have given it a try had they been available 30+ years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot25.htm
---------------------
Wikipedia:
"When used as a door breaching system, the shotgun may be provided with a muzzle extension to allow it to be pressed firmly against the door while providing the correct standoff distance for optimum performance. While there are specialized rounds for breaching doors with minimal hazard to any occupants of the room, any type of round will do the job, though with some degradation of effectiveness and increased risk of collateral damage. In operations in Iraq, the shotgun was the preferred method of door breaching by infantry units, ideally with a frangible breaching slug. For the breaching role, shorter barrels are preferred, as they are more easily handled in tight quarters.[9]"
----------------

In short, a breaching attachment facilitates "anchoring" the muzzle on the doorframe, and maintaining the correct standoff distance for the round to be effective and for the gases to vent.

If you're not regularly breaching doors, you don't need one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:56 am 
Field Grade

NHrural is 100% correct.

There are several different kinds of breaching standoff but all do exactly the same thing. Any other uses(like striking people) are coincidental.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Does anyone have any first hand evidence of a barrel blowing out because one of these breachers wasn't used?

kolarskeet@gmail.com
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:00 pm 
Field Grade

The first reply by Grizzlyman provided the correct answer...

They are used in conjunction with specialized ammo to remove the hinges from doors.

They serve no purpose for civilians, other than to drain your bank account. Companies that produce after-market parts for weapons are more than aware of the fads that people come up with to accessorize their guns. Some of these accessories are actually useful. Others are not.

Yeah, the jungle tiger camouflage patterns were cool back in the 80's after the Rambo movies, and digital desert camouflage is in vogue this season. Someone saw these breachers in a SWAT movie or an Iraq movie, and figured it would look cool on their personal shotgun.

You should not be relying on one of these as a 'stand-off' tool by any means. If someone is that close to you and trying to grab your weapon then you really should have already shot him - breacher or no breacher!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Does anyone have any first hand evidence of a barrel blowing out because one of these breachers wasn't used?

doors were being opened with shotguns long before breaching attachments or breaching rounds.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

We have one SBS 870 at work with a pistol grip and breacher barrel for entries. The "teeth" help you fix the barrel in relation to the surface of the hinge or lock you are going to blast through and as stated by others above protects the muzzle by giving you a safe "standoff" distance between the muzzle and the surface getting breached. None of our other shotguns use muzzle devices. I couldn't imagine needing one for anything other than that specific application and some agencies don't use any muzzle devices for breaching at all.

I have also seen magazine tube extensions that project forward of the muzzle to serve the same purpose as a breacher barrel (Vang Comp I believe), but have not used that sort to compare the difference. As far as a CQB tool goes, I think if you had the need to use your shotgun as an impact weapon, you would likely get just as good of results using the plain muzzle or butt stock as compared to a "breacher" attachment.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:39 pm 
Field Grade

simonpwood wrote:
You should not be relying on one of these as a 'stand-off' tool by any means. If someone is that close to you and trying to grab your weapon then you really should have already shot him - breacher or no breacher!

"Standoff" refers to the distance from unvented muzzle to door. It has nothing to do with striking a person. There are standoff devices, like the one from Sage, that don't have teeth and such at all.

I've seen several shotgun barrels where the muzzle went from round to oval-shaped after numerous shots in contact with doors. I only ever saw one that split and it was only a couple of inches back from the muzzle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
They look "bad a$$" but I'm not fully understanding their function.

That is their function.

"There is no maxim, in my opinion, which is more liable to be misapplied, and which, therefore, more needs elucidation, than the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong." ~ James Madison

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:23 pm 
Diamond Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
Quote:
They look "bad a$$" but I'm not fully understanding their function.

That is their function.
...and I got all wordy on it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not all breachers are made the same though, ours cuts recoil and flash and tightens patterns up better than many chokes do. Then again, it isn't just a generic tube with teeth and holes cut in it either. The big advantage to using a breaching attachment that mounts on the barrel (instead of on the magtube or elsewhere) is that it reduces the amount of debris thrown back at the user, think of it as a 'cage' to help contain a lot of the high velocity bits blasting away from the impact point. Most of our breaching attachments go to LE personnel, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they have no civilian purposes, hell, I can open a car door quicker with a breacher than a coat hanger ;)

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

true. however, i'd prefer that you just break out a $100 window with a rock before you shoot a $2000 hole in my car door with your fancy drill bit that you're just itching to shoot something with. thanks all the same and good luck with it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

A breaching device is used by entry teams on a specialized shotgun designed solely for blowing the lock or hinges off a door. It has no other purpose as it requires special rounds made with frangible compressed metal dust so as not to pose a risk to any innocent party behind the door.

The operator must wear heavy gloves and a full face shield to avoid injury from splinters and other flying debris. The crown of the various stand off devices are designed to allow gasses to vent to the side in order to avoid bursting the barrel in case the user makes the stupid mistake of pressing the muzzle flush against the target. That is the extent of its use.

The phenomenon of these devices being added to the muzzles of civilian shotguns is similar to the sudden popularity of head bands after the Rambo movies in the 1980’s (remember that?) The highly impressionable tend to mimic what they see on TV and the movies. One need look no further than the current proliferation of desert camo painted firearms, often owned by people who live a thousand miles from the nearest desert .

I am old enough to remember the Viet Nam conflict when everything had to be in jungle camo. All the fudds wore “jungle boots” taped their magazines together to make “jungle clips” and wore “jungle camo” even those who lived in cities. The same could be said of the magnum craze that followed the Dirty Harry movies. These things are a fad that will pass, just like Rambo's headband.

"There is no maxim, in my opinion, which is more liable to be misapplied, and which, therefore, more needs elucidation, than the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong." ~ James Madison

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:03 am 
Diamond Grade

quartering wrote:
true. however, i'd prefer that you just break out a $100 window with a rock before you shoot a $2000 hole in my car door with your fancy drill bit that you're just itching to shoot something with. thanks all the same and good luck with it

And a sense of humor is $0, lighten up :?

http://www.kingarmory.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:

Would anybody really firmly press a shotgun muzzle against a solid door hardware and pull the trigger? :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 am 
Limited Edition

The real function is to make even more money from the tacticool crowd.

P.T. Barnum was correct.

"I'll stick with what I know. You two just keep circle jerking with ammo manufacturer's data." Originally posted by Spurrit on why steel barrels are valid forms of ballistic testing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Mohave-Tec wrote:
Would anybody really firmly press a shotgun muzzle against a solid door hardware and pull the trigger? :shock:

Right after putting the cat in the microwave to dry it off.

http://randywakeman.com