CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which 10 ga Auto?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:58 pm 
Field Grade

I am in the market for a 10 ga auto for mainly Goose and maybe Turkey shooting. I've looked around and it looks like my choices are the Rem SP10, Ithaca Mag 10, and Browning Gold. Any experience with any of these? Thanks in advance.
Trapper

Post subject: Re: Which 10 ga Auto?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I picked up an Ithaca Mag-10 over the summer for turkey and to add a 10 to the battery. The little I've shot it has been very positive.

You can find them from time to time on the various auction sites.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Trapper458
I have both the Remington and Browning autos in 10ga. the Rem only holds 3 rounds, Bro 5.
The Browning 10ga guns ( BPS and Gold ) are built for large shooters. My Rem fits me better.

Remington bought Ithaca's Mag 10, made some changes and rename it SP10.
The Browning Gold 10 is simpler Gold version ( no mag cut off or auto feed ) Remington has never done this. They both have Changeable chokes. I shoot both but if I had to sell one it would be the Remington.

Lew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

I vote for the SP10. Own one and it works great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've got the SP10 and it is the hands down best gun for Goose, n Turkeys that I've owned....not so good for carrying around for Woodcock....I owned the 3.5" 12ga 870.....supermag right? for a very short time...I didn't like the loooong throw of the action.....for decoying Duks I use (shudder :cry: ) steel...for longer than normal range Duks I use 3" heavyshot from my 1187...For me the 10ga is a speciality gun and it only is called upon if it seems like the 3" would be stretched...Art

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

My SP-10 is a great shotgun. It is a real fly swatter on waterfowl. Mine has been 100% reliable. I only wish that I could get a 10 gauge load full of steel #3s or #4s.

5 shells in a Browning or 3 shells in a SP-10, kind of a moot point. Can't shoot 5 at waterfowl, and if you need 5 shells in your shotgun for turkeys - you'd be better off practicing before you go than loading 5 shells in a Browning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Can't shoot 5 at waterfowl?

The snow goose spring season.

Lew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a Browning Gold 10 gauge its the only Camo gun I now own. Although it will knock down geese that are seemingly out of range. Its just too heavy. I used to use it primarily during conservation season on Snows when duck season is closed. Never had any problems with it other than weight. Have not used it in about 3 seasons. It won't do anything the Benelli SBE or SX2 can't. I don't need it anymore but can't sell it since it was a gift from my wife. Its definitely a beast.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:20 pm 
Field Grade

I like the Browning better then I liked the Remington.

I have a Browning 10 gauge pump shotgun and I don't know if I would want a semi auto in 10 gauge ever again. Sometimes I think that it is better to have to pump and take your time between shots then to just keep pulling the trigger until something falls out of the sky.

All 10 gauge shotguns are heavy - I don't care which manufacturer it is.
If you really want a shotgun to fit you - you need to have it custom fitted and not just buy a off the shelf gun.

I have a 24 inch barrel on my 10 gauge and the gun looks as long as the barrel does.
But I like how it swings and have had no problems using it as a turkey gun.
The bottom eject takes a little getting used to.

Truthfully the 10 gauge gives you about another 15 yards of range over a 12 gauge shotgun and a lot more powder to burn and bb's to throw. But if a person was a good shot - you wouldn't need a 10 gauge shotgun anyways.
I only bought mine because the price was right and I always wanted one.

You will never beat the fit and finish of the Browning when comparing it to other manufacturers such as Remington.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lew, You can shoot unplugged shotgun in the spring season? That would be great if we could. Up North here, the Queen only wants us to have 3 shooters.

R-man, I'd rather shoot an auto - the combination of really heavy shotgun (in my case an SP-10), nice recoil pad, softer kicking auto, and good stock fit make my SP-10 a great shotgun. And I don't think it matters if the gun is an auto or pump, folks that want to pull the trigger as fast as they can, will. But you might be right in that a 10 gauge BPS with its extra long tromboning of the action will slow your shooting down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

26" bbl SP-10. I have used it for geese and turkeys(mainly turkeys). It throws wicked patterns with Hevi-Shot handloads and has been very reliable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bullethead,

What range do you have your SP-10 sighted in at with the scope? What is the mount? Have you tried slugs through your set-up?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:00 pm 

There are three Gold light 10's owned by by group of buddies. They are a long gun and weigh quite a bit but, lighter in weight than the SP10. The 10 gauge Gold is not the same design as the Gold 12 and 20 gauges.

These guns sit mostly in their safes now as they have gone back to their 3 1/2" 12 gauge models. In field performance never proved out to be an advantage.Loads are more expensive, less selection, and harder to find. With factory loads they are loaded at slower velocities with less down range energy. The overbored barrels in the 12 gauge models have eaten into the Ten's once advantage of better patterning. The 10 gauge auto loader still has the advantage in the recoil (kick) department or better, lack of recoil.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

alberta al wrote:
Bullethead,

What range do you have your SP-10 sighted in at with the scope? What is the mount? Have you tried slugs through your set-up?

I sight it in for 40yds but have it patterned out to 60. The mount is a B-Square. I have never shot slugs through the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Worc, I will admit I use my 870 SuperMag more than the 10ga lately. With factory loads the 3.5"12 has got the advantage of the factories putting more time into developing loads for them and the newest shells, especially the Heavier Than Lead and Steel loads are way more advanced for the 12ga.

If your a handloader then the 10 still shines. I can do anything the 3.5" 12 can do with the 10 and do it with less pressure and recoil.

Sadly and Ecstatically, with today's Tungsten based shot I have been leaning towards the 3" 20ga loads for turkeys and it is almost unbelievable what they can do. Putting 280-300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds is becoming the norm now. A pop instead of a BOOM, a push instead of a whack, and the turkeys are just as dead.

I still have a spot for the 10ga though and when used for waterfowl or turkeys it is hard to beat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:39 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've located a Ithaca but like the idea of changeable chokes and am now looking for the Remington SP-10 or the Browning Gold gun. I do shoot a 3 1/2" 12 ga pump (Mossberg and Remington)for Turkey but think the recoil too much for me to use for extended goose shooting, plus what an excuse to get a new gun. The guys I hunt with use the Browning BPS 10 ga with steel so I plan also to use the 10 ga as I will provide the shells as I'm hunting on their place. I'll be putttng a post over in the reloading section for some hints on reloading the 10 ga if anyone cares to comment. Thanks again, Trapper458

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Trapper458 wrote:
I do shoot a 3 1/2" 12 ga pump (Mossberg and Remington)for Turkey but think the recoil too much for me to use for extended goose shooting, plus what an excuse to get a new gun. The guys I hunt with use the Browning BPS 10 ga with steel so I plan also to use the 10 ga as I will provide the shells as I'm hunting on their place. I'll be putttng a post over in the reloading section for some hints on reloading the 10 ga if anyone cares to comment. Thanks again, Trapper458

Just don't buy a 10 gauge thinking the recoil will be less than a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge. I cannot tell much difference between the two other than the fact that 10 gauge is much heavier in weight and the recoil might be slightly worse. You stated that you think the recoil of a 3.5 inch 12 gauge will be too much for you for extended goose shooting, are you thinking that a 10 gauge will be less recoil?

According to my reloaders manual an 8 3/4 pound 12 guage shooting a 3 inch magnum shell has 54.0 ft lbs of recoil. A 10.5 pound 10 gauge shooting a 3.5 inch shell has 62.9 ft lbs of recoil. The 3.5 inch 12 gauge is not listed but I am sure it would be somewhere in between the two and probably closer to the 10 gauge. Between the 3 inch 12 gauge and the 3.5 inch 10 gauge you are talking less than 10 ft lbs of recoil. It also lists a 3 inch .410 bore at just over 10 ft lbs of recoil. So the way I understand it the difference would be less than the recoil of a .410 which I hardly notice.

No doubt, I feel it wether I am shooting the Browning Gold 10 gauge or the Benelli SBE with 3.5 magnum shells. The most comfortable one to shoot for me is the Winchester Super X2 which is gas operated. The 10 gauge no doubt patterns a little better than the 3.5 inch 12 but not well enough to deal with the burden of me carrying an 11 pound shotgun to the field.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I've shot the Remi a lot and like it. Same with the Ithaca, but they're getting harder to find in good shape. I've never shot the Gold 10, but I know guys who love them. I shoot a BPS 10 now, and it's all I really need for the few pass shoots I do most years. 10 years or so ago, when there was still a lot of rice grown on the Texas Coast and the snows mostly all wintered here, instead of further north like they do now, the 10 ga was a very effective tool on those skittish critters. I carried my SBE to the spread on days when I had some conditions (wind, clouds) and was on the "X", the 10 when things looked like they were going to be tougher. Then, with steel shot, the 10 ga. definitely out performed the 3.5" 12, esp on those birds skirting the edge of the spread or hanging 60 yards up. When a flock of snow geese (or a pair) hangs over the spread and looks straight down into it for any length of time they are GOING to see something they don't like. You either shoot at them or you don't. Many days the ten ga. made the difference. Certainly, the 3.5" 12 shooting the high priced shells will perform with a 10 shooting steel but boy does it hurt when you miss. And we had some 100 bird days back then - hevi shot and the like were for rich folks.

SuperXOne wrote:
Obama doesn't lead, and he never has lead, and that's not his political style to lead, and that's not what community organizers do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 pm 

My experince with the ten and factory waterfowl loads is to expect powder puff recoil. This is with the Gold Light auto loader. The reason being the weight of the gun and the fact that most factory ten gauge waterfowl loads produce a little less recoil than an average 3 1/2" 12 gauge waterfowl load. If you use a quick guide that 1/8 oz, 130 fps, and 1 1/4 lbs of gun weight are equals in terms of recoil. You can then get a rough idea of what your combination will produce for recoil. You can see that the weight of the gun has a smaller impact on recoil than the load used. You can also plug the numbers into a recoil calculator to find the actual foot/pounds of recoil energy produced. The lower recoil is the one true advantage it still has over the 3 1/2" 12 gauge. Other wise it has many disadvantages compared to the long 12.

The problem with factory ten gauge loads is that they are normaly at lower speeds. They are loaded at lower presures partial due to older models that may not handle the extra pressure. The long 12 does not have that issue since it's the new guy on the block as far as chambers go. This is the reason that my buddies in field performance was no imporvement over their 3 1/2" 12 gauge models. Handloading is needed for the ten to reach it's potential or buying some specialized loads that are really a handload produced in a higher volume. They are not cheap and the same things can be applied to the long 12.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:56 am 
Field Grade

Quote:
Just don't buy a 10 gauge thinking the recoil will be less than a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge. I cannot tell much difference between the two other than the fact that 10 gauge is much heavier in weight and the recoil might be slightly worse. You stated that you think the recoil of a 3.5 inch 12 gauge will be too much for you for extended goose shooting, are you thinking that a 10 gauge will be less recoil?

Thanks for the info, but to clarify, there are three reasons I want a 10 for my situation. 1. The guys I shoot with really like them for geese with relatively affordable steel loads 2. I will be providing ammo for all of us and want to shoot the same loads. 3. I think the big heavy gas 10's will recoil less than my light 12ga, 3 1/2 inch pump gun shooting turkey and waterfowl loads. After doing some research, If money was no object, I'd use my Beretta 391 3" with 3" 1 1/2oz of #2 Rem HD, but at around $3 a shell, no thanks. I know I will spend more out of pocket for a 10 ga but 1. I'll have the gun and 2. after a couple years the price difference will pay for the gun. Regards, Trapper