CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excel 16 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an EXCEL 16 Gauge with the serial number 27507x, I would like know who made it and what year it was made :?: Thanks

Post subject: Re: Excel 16 gauge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Excel Arms imported Laurona O/U's and Ugartechia SxS's from Spain.

Separate the barrels from the frame and look at the markings stamped on the underside of the barrels (barrel flats) and the watertable of the frame. Laurona guns will be stamped with the letters F.M. or Y.Z. Ugartechia guns are stamped with a helmet over a heraldic shield.

Montani Semper liberi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:51 pm 
Crown Grade

The answer to your question depends on more than the serial number. A number of makers over the years have used the name EXCEL. If the gun is a single shot single barrel it could be a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. I have listings for three makers of such shotguns, Crescent Fire Arms Company (1892 to 1931) and Crescent-Davis Arms Company (1932 to 1938) both of Norwich,CT and Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchberg.MA (1874 to 1992) for and was sold by Montgomery Ward Company of zChicago.IL. There have been other makers who made guns with the same name after 1945 but for whom I have no information. Are there any other markings on the gun other than just the name Excel? Look both on the top and bottom of the barrel and if it is a single barrel, also look on the barrel lug. And where is the serial number stamped? A photo would be of great help.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:02 am 
Utility Grade

On top of the barrel it says 16 gauge choke bore barrel and lug forged in one!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

Hmmmm, Ned may be right. I overlooked the possibility of an older "Trade Brand Name" gun.

In addition to the U.S. makers that Ned has mentioned, a number of Belgian made "Trade Brand Name" guns were imported into the States during the early 20th century. Those guns would have Belgian proof marks and ELG stamped on them. If the gun was imported by Excel in Gardner, MA; it should have Spanish proof marks and the country of origin will be stamped on the barrel(s).

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 pm 
Crown Grade

BARREL & LUG FORGED INTO ONE was a mark used by both Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works and Stevens Arm & Tool Company (after 1915). Choke bored was bored was used by Stevens. So you have a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun made by the Stevens Arms & Tool Company some time after 1915. The gun was an inexpensive utility grade shotgun even when new and hasn't appreciated that much since. Current value will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. A gun such as this one when in prime condition might bring as much as $75 while a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for a tomato stake might bring $10 for parts salvage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:59 pm 
Utility Grade

ok thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

You are welcome and thanks is accepted however I normally charge $3.00 for information about an old gun ($4.00 for correct information). Please place a $3.00 bill in the small slot on your computer and hit the send key. Don't use a $5.00 bill as my computer is not programed to make change.