CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to store your gun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:38 am 
Presentation Grade

In coercion to "light chamber rust seems hard to remove" how do y'all store your guns. I shoot once a week about 4 rounds per outing. College student so can't really afford a safe o store in. What would y'all recommend currently I store the gun in it's hard case (breakdown) I also have been using one of those little packets that you get in a beef jerky bag that soaks up moisture, I think it came with the case. But what would y'all recommend I do?

Post subject: Re: How to store your gun
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:47 am 
Field Grade

That is the worst way to store a gun.
I believe that the question I have for you is where do you live?
If you live at home - then you need to store your gun in your clothes closet with a film of oil on the outside of the gun - so as to prevent it from rusting.

The gun case is designed for traveling - where you don't want the gun to absorb the bumps and bruises of travel and where you can take it out of the case when you get to where you want to hunt / shoot and it is safe and ready to go.

The next time you are in a gun shop - just take a look at the guns on the used gun rack and see how many have blemish marks on the action and barrel. Those marks are usually not caused by neglect as much as because the gun was stored someplace in a gun case.

I had a Model 1100 Remington that I bought 25 years ago for a song because the original owner let the gun in it's case and it rusted up so bad no one wanted it. Deep pits that could not be removed and all I did was rub it every night for two months with WD 40 until I was able to remove the rust and didn't worry about the pits as much as I worried about how strong the barrel was - with half the barrel rusted away in places where the gun case touched the barrel and caused severe corrosion.

Or my Uncles Winchester 30-30 that he left in the case for 6 years under his bed, until the gun was so rusted no one wanted to hunt with it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 am 
Field Grade

Read the next post -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=236959

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 am 
Presentation Grade

And what is the last thing you put on the gun before you store it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:38 am 
Presentation Grade

The Rifleman wrote:
Read the next post -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=236959

But this didn't talk about how the gun was stored

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:08 am 
Presentation Grade

The Rifleman wrote:
That is the worst way to store a gun.
I believe that the question I have for you is where do you live?
If you live at home - then you need to store your gun in your clothes closet with a film of oil on the outside of the gun - so as to prevent it from rusting.

I am living in a apartment complex. Your advising the best way to store a gun is without a case (hard or soft) or gun sock in the closet with a light layer of Remoil on the whole gun?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 am 
Presentation Grade

I don't like a think coat of oil on my guns for storage. For me it attracts dust. I wax my guns with Birchwood Caseys Gunstock Wax. The metal and wood both get the same treatment. Rub it on with a finger, let dry to a haze and buff with a cloth baby diaper like waxing a car. All my guns are stored in a gunsafe with a Goldenrod and a large can of desiccant. Before I had a gunsafe they were stored in a wooden gun cabinet getting the same treatment. I have never had a rust problem regardless. Due to the tight quarters of a gunsafe, all my guns, rifles included are in "Gunsocks" which keeps them from acquiring dings while taking them in and out of the safe. Humidity is bad here and I probably overprotect my guns in some folks opinions, but like I said I have never had a rust problem. I would never store them in a soft sided case regardless of where I live. Without a cabinet or safe they would be stored in "Socks" in the closet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:59 am 
Presentation Grade

What about short periods of time? Like 6 days at a time what would you do then?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

So far I have been out shooting every weekend for two months straight. After cleaning up the gun, relubing the action, I wipe down the exterior of the gun with Hoppe's silicone cloth and put it back in its break down case.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:59 pm 
Crown Grade

After every use, be it two shells or 125 (like this AM) or none if I didn't see a bird after trudging thru thickets I clean m y gun. I take off the forend, the barrels and clean the bores until they shine then put a light coat of oil on them. I clean the trunnions and all the metalwork, remove the old grease and grease the bearing areas, reassemble the gun and wipe it with a piece of sheepskin that had oil sprayed on it. Then I store it muzzle-down in a metal cabinet (no safe).

One should NOT store a gun in a soft-side case or a hard travel case with foam cut-outs EVER. These are OK for travel but not for storage. I have gotten every one of my guns soaked in rain, snow, mist, dew and have never had a bit of rust.

I use a soft case on the way to and from the range or shooting ground but that's it.

If you use any mineral oil such as Rem-oil, do NOT oil the wooden forend or stock with it. Mineral-based lubricating oil damages wood. Silicone products have the disadvantage that they are very difficult to remove if you should ever want to re-oil or refinish your stock. (By re-oiling your stock I mean if your stock has a linseed or tung oil finish and you want to refresh the surface.) Silicone will cause fish-eyes.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

south.texas.dead.I wrote:

Whether its been fired 200 times in a day or 2 I don't like storing dirty weapons. Every gun gets wiped down before being put in the safe. If if move a gun in the safe and happen to touch any part of the metal, I wipe if off. Fingerprints contain moisture, skin secrets salt, salt causes rust. My primary shotgun that I try to shoot every week gets thoroughly cleaned every 2-3 outings, between those extreme cleanings the metal is wiped with a rag which is oily and then again wiped off with a dry baby diaper. It may not be as bad in a dry climate, but we don't have that many dry days here.

Last edited by Stroker on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Stroker wrote:
south.texas.dead.I wrote:

Whether its been fired 200 times in a day or 2 I don't like storing dirty weapons. Every gun gets wiped down before being put in the safe. If if move a gun in the safe and happen to tough any part of the metal, I wipe if off. Fingerprints contain moisture, skin secrets salt, salt causes rust. My primary shotgun that I try to shoot every week gets thoroughly cleaned every 2-3 outings, between those extreme cleanings the metal is wiped with a rag which is oily and then again wiped off with a dry baby diaper. It may not be as bad in a dry climate, but we don't have that many dry days here.

A big +1.
I do much the same. I actually do a full breakdown and clean if I've gone even 50 to 250 shells, and my favorite protectant is G-96. Otherwise, right down to the diaper cloths, my routine is very, very similar. I also keep a shaving brush around and spritz a little G-96 on it for after-handling touch ups.

I keep two Remington rechargeable desiccant units in my safe, also. Just found the hole where it's drilled for a Golden Rod or similar unit, but the Remington units have served me well, only run about $25 and last at least a few years each.

If you don't have a safe, corner of a closet. Better to let the air circulate around an oiled gun than have cloth case liner pressing up against the sides. If you have kids, might want to use a trigger lock or cable lock.

Just some ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:09 pm 
Field Grade

I live in Southern California where the weather is fairly dry, and I store my guns in a safe. All of them get wiped down with Rem Oil, and stored with TWO large rechargeable dehumidifiers. Just a thought!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just bought the browning vci gun sock. I wouldn't think that putting the gun into that after wiping it down with Remoil would be that great for it? It's just sitting in the sock in my closet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 pm 
Field Grade

Taken from Browning's website: "Browning’s VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) Gun Sock seals out moisture. VCI penetrates into the smallest crevices where oils cannot reach, driving out moisture. Provides full protection by forming a vapor enclosure around firearm from muzzle to butt. The VCI Sock, when used in a gun safe or cabinet, will offer additional protection to all metal items in the enclosed area. One size fits most firearms."

To me that doesn't contradict the use of Rem Oil, with the VCI. The VCI draws moisture from the metal, and Rem Oil, or any oil as a matter of fact creates a moisture barrier, preventing corrosion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

After I clean the gun I put a good coat of wax it and if there any dry wax I can't get off with a rag I use a tooth brush. For me I think oil attracts dust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

shotgun25 wrote:
After I clean the gun I put a good coat of wax it and if there any dry wax I can't get off with a rag I use a tooth brush. For me I think oil attracts dust.

+1. Me too

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:03 pm 
Crown Grade

just wipe 'em off and keep 'em in a zippered soft case. Been doing it for over 30 years. Not one bit of rust or corrosion on any of my oldest guns...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

Slugo wrote:
just wipe 'em off and keep 'em in a zippered soft case. Been doing it for over 30 years. Not one bit of rust or corrosion on any of my oldest guns...

Zippered cases for all mine too. One been there for 40 years (old single barrel from my grand papi)--no rust. I got a couple of them in socks inside the cases just in case. I'm neither for or against gun cases, but I've never had any rust on any of mine from storing in zippered cases.

Another interesting note about zippered cases: I've been carrying 870s in my police vehicles for about 25 years now. This is probably the best test for a gun in a case I can think of. I've had probably 10 issued to me over the years. From the old Wingmasters right down to the new 870 Police version that just came out. All have been carried in a zippered (cheap) cases. All have been stored in my vehicle through all 4 seasons. None have ever had any rust. Guess I'm doing something right.

jed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

While I agree with the folks that say storing a gun in a soft or hard case for an extended period of time is not a good idea....

But I have stored two shotguns in both a hard and soft case for over 20 years without being opened and when removed from the cases both were like the day they went in. Both guns were cleaned and oiled very well before being put away and kept in the back of a closet in a steady environment. Both guns are back in use. So, with my small sample and personal experience I would say if cleaned and oiled properly, you can store them in soft or hard. FYI, my hard case was egg crate foam filled and the soft case was very old... like 40 years old.