CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Remove Oil Stains In a Stock
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a custom Perazzi stock that is showing signs of oil soaking into the wood where it joins the receiver. It has been stored in the safe barrel-down since I got it but it didn't keep it from seeping into the grain. How does one go about removing this stain? Does the whole stock need to be refinished? It is American walnut. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: How to Remove Oil Stains In a Stock
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You can mix diatomaceous earth and M.E.K as a past and put it on the wood. it will draw the oils out. the paste turns brownish and you scrape it off and do it again. You repeat this process as many times as you need untill it come up white.

You need to do this on bare wood because I imagine the M.E.K. will destroy your finish any way. The inletted portion needs to be sealed better to prevent this from happening.

You can get MEK at home depot by the paint thinner. Diatomaceous earth can be purchased at pool supply stores. Or if you are like me you mooch a coffee can's worth off someone you know who has a pool. Don't worry....people with swimming pools are used to moochers. :D

If refinishing your stock is something you would rather have done I would be happy to quote you a price.

Follow the link from my website to "Like" us on Facebook.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 am 
Limited Edition

You can use whiting powder( chalk dust) from the paint store instead of diatomaceous earth. Talcum powder works, too. The method is slow but sure.

For more speed you can use Wonko's brew, although it is probably overkill for your case:

Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a gallon of alcohol. If the stock has a plastic finish you might want a can of some paste stripper too. Use that first if the outside finish requires it. If the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no problem.
Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone (it will
also neutralize the paste stripper). Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull
off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it
as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly volatile and smoking the
cigar over the top of it is not recommended. Let the things soak for several
days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're
tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the
acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the
stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby
out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it
anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days

WOB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Chalk powder will work and can be easier to find. You can get DE at a pool supply store but they usually sell it in 25 or 50 lb bags for use in pool filters. Ask if they have a broken bag and see if they will sell you a couple of pounds, it will last a lifetime. If that does not work, look for a pool maintenance company. DE also kills garden pests and fleas on your dogs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

"Whiting", at www.brownells.com will do it too. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:00 pm 
Utility Grade

It's doubtful you'll be able to keep the current finish AND remove the oil completely. While I haven't tried the above methods, they sound like they would work.

I have, however, had success with acetone. Assuming the stock is already stripped of finish, alternating heat and acetone does the trick. Heat the affected area with a heat gun (I don't recommend the high setting, as it can singe the wood) and dip it into a container of acetone. The heat brings the oil to the surface and the acetone dissolves it. A soft bristled brush can be helpful between cycles too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for all the great advice. It appears to me since the stock's finish has to be stripped to get the oil out this is a job for a pro. I'm tempted to go to the people who built the stock and ask them to make it right. Doesn't glass bedding keep oil out from the metal to wood interfaces? Maybe that didn't get done. EG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Glass bedding would, but during the bedding process you leave small areas of wood still contacting the metal surface in order to hide the bedding. The trick is to bed it, but not see the bedding squeezing out between the wood and metal. It likely is these small spots where the oil is penetrating.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

winmod21,
You might be able to get the oil out from the inletting but removing the finish will likely make it faster. As far as bedding goes, glass bedding is not always done on a shotgun or a rifle. I do it on heavy recoiling rifles and on most shotguns but I approach it differently. I always do either soaker coats of finish or epoxy coats in my inletting to keep out any stray oil and to seal the wood from moisture. My goal in inletting is to get a 100% contact with the wood and the metal with hand tools but in reality that is just wishful thinking. So after I get the inletting and soaker coats are applied and then the inletting is recut if necessary, or I use a thin epoxy (West Systems) to make sure I do have full contact and the wood is sealed. The bearing surfaces will soak up some epoxy and the contact surface will be 100 %. I am restocking my MX2000 now and just recently went through that process on the head of the stock.