CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to ID Ithaca
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:43 am 
Utility Grade

I've been trying to figure this one out for a few days now with no success. It is marked "New Ithaca Gun" on the side. On the top between the two barrels it reads "Ithaca Gun Co. Ithaca NY London Twist" It has a 4 digit serial number but I can't so much as find a model number for this gun, so I was hoping one of you could provide me with what I'm looking for. All information is greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

Having trouble adding my pictures if anyone could help me out.

Post subject: Re: Trying to ID Ithaca
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Techanically the gun is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun even though it has the makers name on it. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to gun on the gun.The gun was made by the Ithaca Gun Company of Ithaca ,NY. but no seller is given. I went through my reference book listing various models made by Ithaca between the companies founding in 1886 to 1940 but there is no listing for a gun with this name. Ithaca made many, many different models over the years. There is a catalog illustration from 1886/87 for a double barrel with the name THE ITHACA GUN that says the gun is/was made with the Best English Twist Barrels (damascus twist barrels). The gun sold for between $50 and $200, a lot of money back then. While Ithaca guns are noted for quality and strength, I have to urge caution and recommend that this one not be fired since it has damascus barrels and is over 100 years old. I can't see the gun to determine its condition but can tell you it was designed using the materials and technology of the time when it was made. It was designed for the ammunition in use then which was black powder and lead shot loaded and will have 2 1/2 inch chambers. It was not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder and steel shot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

The New Ithaca Gun had no model number, it was simply the "New Ithaca Gun" (NIG). NIG was the model name. It was produced from 1888-1913, first appearing in the 1889 Ithaca catalog. I've always liked the NIG but would caution you to have the gun checked by a knowledgeable double gun smith for overall condition before shooting and then use only age appropriate ammunition, either black powder or low pressure ammunition made for the oldies. Chamber length will be 2 5/8". The serial number will give you the age. Value is a minefield I seldom tread.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:55 am 
Crown Grade

Alonzo is right on the money here. Ithaca Gun Co. originally began, circa 1883, producing a hammer double designed by William H. Baker, which is nowadays known to collectors and shooters as the Baker Model. When Ithaca Gun Co. introduced an improved hammer double during 1887, they called it the New Ithaca Gun, and that is what they are kown as today among collectors and shooters (NIG). Here is a NIG from 1910 --

However, Ithaca Gun Co. played pretty fast and loose with that term "New Ithaca Gun", using it several more times over the years as they introduced new models. Ithaca introduced their first hammerless double beginning in 1888, and for a while they used the same "New Ithaca Gun" roll stamp on the sides of the frame as on the hammer gun. By about serial number 11000 they changed to an "Ithaca Hammerless" roll stamp on the hammerless guns. Among collectors, the first four Ithaca hammerless doubles are known by the names of their designers -- 1888-1901 Crass Model for Fredrick T. Crass; 1901-1906 Lewis Model for Chester Lewis; 1906-1908 Minier Model for David Minier; and 1908-1926 Flues Model for Emil Flues. The NIG was produced concommitantly with these hammerless models and was serial numbered with them to about 1914. Then very briefly they built a coil-spring powered hammer double, sort of a hammer version of a Flues hammerless, called the "Two-Bolt Model. The final Ithaca hammerless double was introduced in 1925 and is known as the New Ithaca Double (NID). The Ithaca serial number lists available on various internet web sites are not very good. The much better serial number list is in the second edition of Walter Snyder's book The Ithaca Gun Company -- From the Beginning.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:33 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for the props Dave. In fairness, I just paraphrased Walt's information from "The Ithaca Gun Co. from the begining". It's a must have book for anyone interested in old Ithacas.

Cary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:44 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the information guys. The serial is 7853. I have pictures if anyone would like to see them but can't seem to get the site to let me post them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:46 am 
Crown Grade

7853 would put your gun in 1888.