CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 Xplor "Light"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:40 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi Folks,

I would like to hear more from anyone who has an A400Light.

There is one post here from someone who says it is too light but do any other persons have one they might comment on?

I shoot sustained lead for skeet so light or heavy guns seem to work the same for me but I like the light guns a lot better.

Thanks for any input.

Ernie

Post subject: Re: A400 Xplor "Light"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Ernie: I have the A400 Unico which I think the difference between it and the A400 light is that the Unico takes all up to super magnum 3-1/2" shells...which I certainly will never shoot. The light takes up to 3". The Unico also has a K/O shock absorber feature built in the grip of the stock to buffer the bolt as well a reducing the recoil...which is superb! I don't think the Light has that feature. Also the Light has 24", 26", and 28" options; whereas the Unico has 26", 28", and 30" bbl options. The Light weighs a few ounces less as well. I do not have the K/O in the shoulder butt option...don't need it as recoil is like a 20 ga. with the bolt shock absorber. This shotgun handles and fits so perfectly that, to me, the light weight is an advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi 1911tex,

A friend and I are both interested in the A400 Light but for next years waterfowl season.

I currently use a 391 but I'd like to try a gun without the 391 gas system maintenance.

If the A400 Light doen't have the recoil buffer that might be an impotant difference between it and the first A400. Niether one of us cares about the "KIck Eeze" feature as it makes the gun too long for us when we are duck huting with heavy clothes on.

Thanks for the info.

Ernie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:50 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The KO3 cannot do much about recoil . . . and it doesn't. It isn't supposed to. The A400 "Light" has the same feature. It is a very good feature, though, as it allows fast bolt speed without punishment to the bolt and receiver. An excellent approach.

Is an A400 too heavy for you? A Maxus, a Vinci? All three are light duck guns, at least where I come from. They are all on the light side for skeet guns, as well.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the explanation of the KO3, that is what I should have gleened from the Beretta advertising.

I like to try new shotguns so I'm always looking at what is coming on the market. The A400 isn't too heavy for me. When I shoot serious skeet I use a Winchester 101 4 barrel set.

I really can't see the need for long receivers that usually come with 3 1/2" guns as I don't shoot steel. So I am looking at the A400 light because it might be a little more compact as well as a light gun??

I'm currently shooting a couple of Beretta 391's, a camo 12 ga. and a Youth 20 ga. with the thickest recoil pad that Beretta makes. When there is no goose season open I use the 20 for ducks with 3" Hevi-shot #6. I don't use steel shot at all as I don't get to go often (too old) so I have settled on the better ammo. I use 3" Hevi-shot #4 in the 12 ga. for geese, it does the job nicely. We usually hunt from lay out blinds so the shots are within 50 yards, usually closer.
I have all the guns I need, I just like to try the new ones.

Ernie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:49 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The std. 3-1/2 in. A400 has the same receiver size as most 3-1/2 in. guns.

I've not tested the A400 light, but a 3 inch chamber and bit lower price look to be the main points.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:44 pm 
Limited Edition

:D
Hi Randy,

I have read lots of the articles you have wriiten and have enjoyed them.

If you get to test the A400 Light I hope I find a post about it.

Thanks, Ernie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

You've likely read this one as well: http://randywakeman.com/A400vsBrowningMaxusBenelliVinci.htm.

Whether Maxus or A400, the 3 in. versions are essentially the same gun with the same receivers. It isn't practical to make a whole new receiver just for a half inch shorter chamber. http://www.beretta.com/Long-guns/Field-guns/Semi-automatic/A400-Xplor-Light/index.aspx?m=82&f=2&id=1329&did=40573 claims 6.28 pounds. This is vs. 3 kg or 6.61 pounds for the 3-1/2 in. A400.

Not too many manufacturers get the weight EXACTLY right: http://randywakeman.com/Review_2010_%20Beretta_A400_12ga.htm. The tested A400 was 6 pounds, 13 oz. (6.81 pounds) via Lyman electronic trigger gauge.

I'm not sure how the factory weights are concocted, but it seems like it is not just unloaded, but with no choke tube installed and perhaps without the recoil pad installed, either? Anyway, the claim is about .3 pounds lighter. I like lighter field guns more often than not, but when the difference in weight between guns is less than what one shell weighs, as in the case of the A400 vs. Maxus . . . it isn't worth obsessing about.

If you view the A400 as essentially the same gun, just a 3 in. chamber and a bit lighter price, that is more of a practical view of things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
The std. 3-1/2 in. A400 has the same receiver size as most 3-1/2 in. guns.

I was thinking it was the same as most 3" guns.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:07 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

You should be thinking "typo." :wink:

It is close to many 3 inch guns, but not as compact as some. Mentioned here: http://randywakeman.com/Review_2010_%20Beretta_A400_12ga.htm. If you check the picture of the A400 side-by-side with the steel B-80, you can see what I'm referring to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:39 pm 
Limited Edition

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the links. I read them all and the information is excellent. I guess I am always trying to find the ultimate semi-auto shotgun, and will continue. I mostly use SXS guns for upland hunting but I like all shotguns, for ducks and geese the autoloader is my choice.

I have owned and tried the 1100, the B-80, several 390s, the SBE II, the M2, the Extra Lite, several 391s. As I said a friend has an Extrema and an Exttrema II so we have done some comparisons of the Benelli and Bertta guns. All on the same day with the same loads.
The Extrema II with the KO was the softest shooting and we all shot it well but it did have the "click" for awhile, until Beretta fially fixed it.

We all decided the KO was not needed so I converted it to a regular recoil pad.

The Benelli guns were all fine but the the pistol grip is too big and requires too long a reach for me to comfortably get my finger on the trigger. The reach makes it harder for me to control the gun. I haven't tried the Vinci yet but just picking it up the pistol grips feels better than the other Benellis I have owned. The Beretta guns have all been fine so for now I have settled on a 391 turkey version with a 24" barrel and I have added a 30" barrel for waterfowl and a cantilevered rifled barrel for future deer hunting in shotgun only States.
I am still looking for my ideal auto loader to replace the 391.
However, I do a lot of shotgun gunsmith work so dealing with the 391 caps is not too big a problem but when you add the recoil spring in the stock and general cleaning of a semi-auto the nuisance factor gets bigger.
I was duck hunting here in Vermont today and the 391 is slowing down and needs all of the above tonight.
Ernie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:05 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Peacore wrote:

Thanks for the links. I read them all and the information is excellent. I guess I am always trying to find the ultimate semi-auto shotgun, and will continue.

If it makes you feel any better, I am too. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I still think the A400 light is going to create a 391 American with no shims and 3 choke tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I recently hunted pheasants in SD and took my A400. Two other gunners shot 391's. At the end of the weekend we cleaned the guns and what a difference! the A400 is waaaaaaaaaaay simpler! And frankly wasn't very dirty after 100-150 rounds. We did have some rain showers, so took the guns apart for a thorough cleaning.
I have a pair in 26". the one with the KO weighs 7lbs, now 7.3 as I added a Briley weighted Mag cap to balance the weight of the KO. I took the non KO pheasant hunting...about 6.7 lbs on my scale. I will likely get a LIght version when available, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:38 pm 
Limited Edition

Had the opportunity to play with an A400 Light today in 28". For starters the reciever is scaled down from the 3.5" version so the loading port and ejection port is the same size as the 391 which also makes the receiver shorter. The receiver was matte silver finished logo was ingraved nicely into the reciever along with other markings not screen printed like the Maxus, Fit and finish was perfect. The feel and balance was also perfect. I did compare it with a Maxus hunter side by side and my opinion the A400 was a better balanced gun and quite lighter. Also the A400 had the K/O. Very nice gun that I'll probally own.

Hope this helps anyone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:20 pm 
Limited Edition

:)
Hi dovebuster,

I was hoping the receiver would be shorter than the 3 1/2" gun, glad to see your report.

Did you notice that the receiver is shorter than the Maxus? I know my 391 is shorter.

If the good reports keep coming on this gun I'll probably be ordering one for a customer and maybe one for myself also.

Thanks, Ernie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:09 am 
Limited Edition

Peacore, Yes the receiver was more compact on the A400. Beside the A400 in 3.5" which I do own the A400 light feels comparably to the 391 in size. I was really impressed with the whole package and as Jwells states cleaning the A400 is much easier and faster than the 391 in many ways. The forearm nut which seemed to be a pain with some people on the 391 I do not ever see it becoming a problem due to the materials and design. It's amazing how clean the A400 stays even after many rounds, my Xtrema 2 is the same way. I would like to see someone do a marathon run on a A400 without cleaning I would'nt be surprised to see it go thousands of rounds. The write-up in the recent North American Hunting Club magazine by Bill Miller and his one year torchure test on the A400 was impressive. One year of hard hunting in rough conditions without cleaning and no malfunctions.
http://www.versus.com/blogs/around-the- ... s-cracked/

Hope this helps I don't think you would regret your purchase

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:41 am 
Limited Edition

Hi dovebuster,

That is very good info and I did read all of the articles.
Every response on the forum has been very helpful, especially yours and Randy's.
I have bought so many semi-auto shotguns that I'm trying to be more careful this time.

Would you know if the "Light" has the recoil buffer (Kick Off 3) built into the stock to help to absorb the energy from the bolt when the bolt reaches the end of it's travel in the rearward dirrection?

I don't think I'll need the KO on the butt of the gun as I shoot light skeet loads 95% of the time and 3" Hevi-shot for ducks and geese. Plus I'm not recoil sensitive so the few heavy loads per year will not be a problem for me.

I shoot my 391 about as well as any gun I own but I'm looking for something to replace it that is lighter but still pretty compact.

Thanks again, Ernie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:16 am 
Limited Edition

Yes, it should have all the features and options as the standard A400.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

So if I am reading everything correctly, which I don't always do :D the only difference between the light model and the standard model is a shorter receiver witch makes the gun lighter and you do not have the ability to shoot 3.5" shells?

Does anyone know if this guy will be offered in synthetic or camo stock in the near future?

I have a 391 parallel target, that I use as my duck and goose gun, but looking for something new. I just don't know if I will be able to get use to a stock that is not parallel.