CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun Safes & Rust prevention???
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I was just transferred to a very humid area from the Desert where RUST has never been a problem. I took the Citori to the local trap range and shot 100 rounds. I returned home cleaned my weapon and placed it in my Champion safe. Three weeks later I opened the safe and there was trace amounts of rust visible. {F* Naturally I went into full panic mode and cleaned every weapon and made absolutely sure they all had a good coat of Breakfree CLP.

I just purchased an 18 inch Goldenrod and some desiccant. What are you guys doing to protect your investments? Is there anything else I can do to guarantee this will not happen again?

The Champion has six holes in the bottom, one of which I used to run the plug for my Goldenrod. Is it a good idea to seal the other five holes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Gun Safes & Rust prevention???
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Breakfree, Remoil, Mobil 1 are all fine lubricants but for rust protection (and lube) wipe it off and use some Barricade or Boeshield.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

jj_451 wrote:
I was just transferred to a very humid area from the Desert where RUST has never been a problem. I took the Citori to the local trap range and shot 100 rounds. I returned home cleaned my weapon and placed it in my Champion safe. Three weeks later I opened the safe and there was trace amounts of rust visible. {F* Naturally I went into full panic mode and cleaned every weapon and made absolutely sure they all had a good coat of Breakfree CLP.

I just purchased an 18 inch Goldenrod and some desiccant. What are you guys doing to protect your investments? Is there anything else I can do to guarantee this will not happen again?

The Champion has six holes in the bottom, one of which I used to run the plug for my Goldenrod. Is it a good idea to seal the other five holes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are doing exactly the right thing. Keep in mind that the dessicant will need to be dried out periodically, either in the sun or in your oven. The goldenrod is your best bet and of course, always keep a light coat of oil on your guns.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be foolish than sensible."

Bertrand Russell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:57 am 
Tournament Grade

My parents got a brand new Browning fire safe, BIG one and filled it with their prize possessions and plugged in the golden rod. Thought all was great. Turned out the golden rod caused more problems than it prevented.

The most important thing to remember with safes is to keep the atmosphere in the safe them same as the surrounding area outside the safe. A bag of desiccant is good, i use them instead of the golden rod.

It is the change in temp that causes condensation and rust. IF all else is good, I.E. low humidity, then it is the sudden change in temp that caused the rust. If you are in a desert area, then I would suspect the change from a warm to an air conditioned atmosphere, and then from dry to a more humid conditioned area that cause the moisture build up.

Go to the range, clean the weapons, and leave them out for a few hours to let them acclimate to the new atmosphere, then put them in a safe.

Also keep in mind that the carpet or fabric in the safe will hold moisture for a long time. Use the desiccant to dry that out and let your safe acclimate to the new surroundings.

who, coincidently, can hit what I am aiming at.

"Fear God, Love your Neighbor, KILL Ducks."
Phil Robertson,The Duck Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 am 
Diamond Grade

Get a dehumidifier to dry out the air in the surrounding area. If you safe is in a room keep the door and windows closed and run the dehumidifier all the time.

All my reloading stuff and safes are located in a basement, I run one constantly during the humid summer months and the amount of water pulled out of the air is a lot.

Silica bags have to be regenerated every so offten after they absorb water from the air. The dehumidifier all you have to do is empty the water catch pan every so offten.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 am 
Tournament Grade

jaguarxk120 wrote:
Get a dehumidifier to dry out the air in the surrounding area. If you safe is in a room keep the door and windows closed and run the dehumidifier all the time.

All my reloading stuff and safes are located in a basement, I run one constantly during the humid summer months and the amount of water pulled out of the air is a lot.

Silica bags have to be regenerated every so offten after they absorb water from the air. The dehumidifier all you have to do is empty the water catch pan every so offten.

All of this is great advice.

But the most important tip is to allow your guns to Acclimate BEFORE putting them in a place with out any air current. The safe is just a big plastic bag and without circulating air, moisture will build on a gun that is not acclimated.

Look in your basement, or where ever the safe is. Are there other steel objects in the area? Are they rusted? if so then you have a moisture problem and need a Dehumidifier. If not then it is because they have adjusted to the surroundings and have circulating air currents to help. Open the safe leave it open for as long as you can, Days if possible. If you have moved it like you said, then the fabric and carpet in there needs to acclimate also.
Put a fan in there to circulate the air and help it dry faster.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 am 
Diamond Grade

All good tips. I go one step further and place every gun in my safe in a silicone gun sock from Cabelas. Keeps them from rusting, and protects them from bumps and bruises.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:09 am 
Limited Edition

for longer-term storage, and in a humid climate that can mean weeks not years, Brownels sells heavy duty aluminum bags with a chemical anti-corrosion tab that goes inside.

Dor the lock box in my nightstand I have a product called Evadry that I got from amazon or BH photo. It`s a dessicant package with a plug. Every few months I plug it in for a day, then it keeps the revolver and personal docs dry. I have another one in the safe with my camera gear.

A shotgun over the door,
A 30-06 for reaching out;
You don't need any more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 am 
Presentation Grade

Woodys20Ga wrote:
My parents got a brand new Browning fire safe, BIG one and filled it with their prize possessions and plugged in the golden rod. Thought all was great. Turned out the golden rod caused more problems than it prevented.

Ok, I gotta hear the reason for why the Goldenrod caused more problems than it was worth. What are you talking about?

Clean your gun, swab a thin layer of gun grease in the barrel. Wax the metal surfaces with Birchwood Caseys Gunstock Wax, keep your Goldenrod plugged in using the Desiccant as you purchased you should not have any problems. Keeping the fingerprints off your weapons is the key. Make sure you wipe them off each time they are touched.

Keep in mind a Goldenrod is not a dehumidifier. It simply should be placed in the bottom shelf of the safe and forgotten about. It works by just being warm. Warm air rises thus causing a slight circulation of air in the safe. Granted, the more you open and close the safe or leave the door open the harder it is to keep moisture out.

I live in Texas and not only use the Goldenrod but the desiccant as well. My canister of desiccant beads have to be reactivated about twice a year. I have never had a rust problem. I do not oil the outside metal surfaces of guns prior to storage, oil causes dust and to me is a hassle. I prefer the wax on the outside and a thin coat of grease on the inside.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Stroker wrote:
Ok, I gotta hear the reason for why the Goldenrod caused more problems than it was worth. What are you talking about?

Sorry I forgot to elaborate on this. The goldenrod is just a heating element. In a cold basement it actually created condensation because of the difference in temp between the inside and outside of the safe.

It's maybe a great tool, but personally i think they are not worth the money and can POSSIBLY cause more harm. If your area has a steady temp and humidity, such as my basement, you don't need it. The most important thing is to let the inside of the safe acclimate to the area BEFORE you fill it with guns. Friend of mine got one in the summer time, put it in his cool dry basement and filled it immediately.

Opened in a couple of weeks time and RUST. the safe was as hot inside as it was when it was delivered and when it cooled, moisture! Carpet held that moisture because it was not allowed to acclimate and dry. The only places he had rust was where the barrels contacted the carpet of the racks and handguns sat on the carpet shelves.

LET IS ADJUST TO IT"S SURROUNDINGS!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:01 am 
Utility Grade

Do any of you have suggestions on a Basement dehumidifier? I am willing to install one in the Basement but being from the Desert my whole life I have no experience with units that work or just have good advertising.

Also, the Champion has six holes in the bottom, one of which I used to run the plug for my Goldenrod. Is it a good idea to seal the other five holes?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:28 am 
Tournament Grade

jj_451 wrote:
Do any of you have suggestions on a Basement dehumidifier? I am willing to install one in the Basement but being from the Desert my whole life I have no experience with units that work or just have good advertising.

Also, the Champion has six holes in the bottom, one of which I used to run the plug for my Goldenrod. Is it a good idea to seal the other five holes?

Where are you? What part of the country?

Is the basement prone to flooding at all? Is there a great deal of ground water in your area?

I am in KY, Cave country. LOTS of ground water and rock shelves under my basement. No flooding to date, knock on wood. But I do have one hell of a sump pump....

I would do the following:
1. raise the safe off the basement floor. A used wood pallet is good, pair of 4x4's on the sides is good. Allow air to circulate UNDER the safe. Make sure it is sturdy. and leave it that way.
2. Get the best bag of Desiccant you can afford and find.
3. DO NOT plug the holes.
4. Leave the safe open for a week. sleep down there and guard your guns, just kidding on the sleeping part.
5. Clean and lube all of them. Put the long guns in silicone socks, handguns too if you can find some.
6. once the safe is acclimated, then add the weapons and lock her down.
7. Check as often as you can to make sure.

No need to have a de-humidifier if there are no visible signs water in the basement. If the floors and walls are dry and no flooding, don't waste the money.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use G-96 as a protectant and have two of the Remington rechargeable desiccant units in my safe. Zero problems.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

Go to Home Depot they sell a nice unit, the one we bought this year is two thirds the size of the old one, removes the same amount of water from the air. And the best thing it use's less power.

Once the container fills they will shut off automaticlly so the catch tank has to be checked on a regular basis unless there is a floor drain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Good oil, dessicant, golden rods are all good......as is a good coating of beeswax for guns not shot that often, even the dreaded Cosmoline.

I moved from NV to FL (7% humidity to 95%). I used to keep my safe in my garage, now it is under heat and air inside. I have added a Golden Rod, THREE large Dessicant boxes, and all guns are in those silicone-impregnated socks with a nice coating of RemOil on them...........so far no issues, but I do need to reheat the dessicant boxes about every 6 weeks

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Um... water vapor condenses on metal, glass, ceramic, etc. that is cooler than the surrounding air. That is why your cold bottle of beer on a hot day gets wet on the outside. Following this logic, the goldenrod slightly elevates the temperature inside a safe, and along with that, the temperature of the guns themselves, thus rendering them less likely to draw moisture out of the air. Just make sure your guns are at least as warm as the air inside your safe before putting them in. I keep a temp and humidity gauge inside my safe and on a shelf in the room where the safe is. Easy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

two things always make me smile: carpet on the inside of a safe and a safe not anchored directly to a concrete slab. good luck with it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
a safe not anchored directly to a concrete slab

About the worst thing you can do if you are trying to prevent the safe from rusting - a nice rubber stall mat in between or similar would be a much better idea

"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

you will get condensation between two different drastic temp ranges. A Hot cup of coffee sitting on a cold surface will condense un the bottom where there is no air current. Making sure everything is acclimated is key.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Best bet in a humid climate is AC in the summer and heat in the winter. I've had the same safe parked above concrete floors in basements in three different houses. All air conditioned and heated with the safe sitting one inch above the floor on cedar trim strips on each side and bolted to the floor through the cedar strips. Have not had a rust problem in 15 years.

KK