CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BARREL LENGTH / MUZZLE VELOCITY ??
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:47 pm 
Limited Edition

This became a topic of local discussion just today.

Are modern powders, primers, wads, capable of a full burn, full velocity from an 18-20 inch barrel?

I have loaded some 12 ga with IMR PB that blew powder specks out the muzzle of a 18.5 inch riot gun. No such specks, or barrel fouling, when same shells were fired in a 28 inch barrel.

I did a GOOGLE search and it seems that factory ammo will fully burn in a 18-20 inch barrel.

Whaddayouthink?

Post subject: Re: BARREL LENGTH / MUZZLE VELOCITY ??
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:01 pm 
Crown Grade

I've always understood that for normal loads, shotgun barrel length beyond 18" isn't going to add velocity.

This might be perpetuating a myth, but I've even read where the extra barrel length actually slows the load, due to friction.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Deleted

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:44 pm 
Crown Grade

I understand that most of the powder is consumed before the crimp is even forced open, and the pressure develops the vast majority of the velocity in the first 14" or so of barrel travel, with each inch of barrel past that adding a paltry 10 fps or so to the muzzle velocity. Shooting most any ammo in an 18" barrel will develop most of the velocity, missing perhaps only the few fps (maybe 100 fps total) that another 10" or 14" of barrel will allow to develop.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:40 am 
Crown Grade

Mark,

I notice your post is deleted--that makes me think what I said is probably dead wrong. Don't worry I can take it...I have my asbestos underwear on! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

S2R,

Nothing to do with you.

I realized that this thread will be another pressure or recoil thread, because there is no way anyone here can prove what really happens. 8) Since my ideas and experiences are less then well received, I have decided to delete my post and go pheasant hunting.

Tonight, I will sit back and enjoy the show. As the theories get wilder by the minute.

Cheers!! :lol:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:23 pm 

Does anybody remember when Remington did a heap of testing and came out with thier guns that possibly called Special Field? They all had very short (21") barrels with choice of 3 field chokes, and reportedly gave the same or better ballistics than the longer barrels that were in style. Seen any lately? :mrgreen:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes I do and they went with a 23'' barrel later on. Browning still makes a 22'' barrel on their upland special. I like short barrels and reload fast powders and lite payloads, for this reason. All my reloading books say test barrels 32'' and for every 1'' less, lost of 10fps. This is not really much of a loss as DrMike said.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
S2R,

Nothing to do with you.

Tonight, I will sit back and enjoy the show. As the theories get wilder by the minute.

Cheers!! :lol:

Oh I have lots of theories, some might even be right. :shock: I am not trying to get in an argument: I am interested in learning the physics behind shooting.

From looking at my ballistic software for rifles, the velocity will continue to increase but at an ever decreasing amount as the barrel gets longer. There is a certain point that velocity will start to decrease in the barrel. I don't think a shotgun is that much different. I think there is a little more to shotgun shooting (patterning) than just velocity.

Curly-Nohair wrote:
Does anybody remember when Remington did a heap of testing and came out with thier guns that possibly called Special Field? They all had very short (21") barrels with choice of 3 field chokes, and reportedly gave the same or better ballistics than the longer barrels that were in style. Seen any lately?

Turkey shotguns are usually 23"-24" long.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

Only thing wrong with rifle comparisons is that the powders are VERY different from a burn rate/"progressive" powder viewpoint.

BobK