CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best choke for rabbit hunting?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:19 pm 
Utility Grade

I just bought a Mossburg 535 and i was wanting to know what choke is best for rabbit hunting, it came with a full and imp cyl. and also what shot size should i use.

Thanks im Advanced

Post subject: Re: Best choke for rabbit hunting?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

The choke will depend on the environment you're hunting in. If you're hunting in thick brush or woods where close range shots are expected, go with the imp cyl. For hunting with dogs over open ground, a tighter choke might be advisable.

As for shot size, it depends on who you ask. I've used shot as big as 4 and as small as 7 1/2, and all worked. 6 seems to be a good all-around compromise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Zumoss,

I'd check close on your chokes. Most shotguns come with 3. The modified choke is usually installed and the others are extra.

For hunting bunnies, I like to use Imp Cyl , but have used modified if the dogs aren't bringing them back around close. #6s are about the best all around shot. You don't need 3'' mags(don't laugh, I know a guy that used them for rabbit and squirrels) to kill them. A well placed rock will kill a rabbit. Standard game loads work just fine.

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

when I walk fence rows, I go with an IC and #6.
or a .22LR
even a few times in my younger days with a .177 Crosman.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:39 am 
Field Grade

I would also suggest using a copper or nickel plated shot. This will avoid the "gray q-tips" that lead shot causes by pushing the fur into the meat. Plated shot has a hardened surface and cuts through, instead of pushing into the animal.

#5s work well, if you can find them and they're a nice compromise between #4s and #6s. An 1 1/8 oz. or 1 1/4 oz. loads will put enough shot into a pattern to do a good job.

I prefer a Modified choke, unless the shots are in a more open area. However, I like tighter patterns and larger size shot for any hunting with shotgun.

Good hunting, Outdoorguy57