CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping firearms
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

Looking to get a pistol and if I get it online I gotta have it shipped, I remember having to get it shipped to an ffl dealer which will be like 30 dollars or something but other than the actual shipping charges is there anything else?

Post subject: Re: Shipping firearms
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Handguns have to be shipped next day air and to a FFL holder the shipping is in the $40 range . The other fee you will have to pay is for the FFL holder to transfer it to you and most charge $15 to $30 .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

south.texas.dead.I wrote:
Looking to get a pistol and if I get it online I gotta have it shipped, I remember having to get it shipped to an ffl dealer which will be like 30 dollars or something but other than the actual shipping charges is there anything else?

You need to account for whatever transfer fee your dealer charges to transfer the gun to you....you need to find a FFL that can do the transfer the cheapest. Not all dealers do a cheap transfer as stated in the other posts. Some places charge $50 to $100 for transfers. You can find a list of FFL in your area and their transfer fees on Gunbroker.com. The shipping charge from the seller varies....if it's a dealer, it will be less than if it was private party. My last handgun i shipped costs me $55 shipped via Fed Ex Next Day Air, insured for $600.

I assume you bought the gun from a seller out of state.....if so, you need not worry about what shipping method the seller ships the gun because all you should be concerned with is it that it arrives at the FFL with whatever documentation your FFL dealer requires from the seller (some want a copy of the seller's driver license). If the seller ships the handgun via ground, then he is the one who will get reprimanded not you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:00 am 
Presentation Grade

sernv99 wrote:

You need to account for whatever transfer fee your dealer charges to transfer the gun to you....you need to find a FFL that can do the transfer the cheapest. Not all dealers do a cheap transfer as stated in the other posts. Some places charge $50 to $100 for transfers.

Ya there's a place here in corpus that was wanting to charge me over 150 dollars for a transfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not sure, but FFL dealers used to be able to ship handguns via the USPS. MUCH cheaper than UPS and FedEx because they require overnight to reduce the possibility of their employees stealing something. I used to pay my FFL to ship them for me, when he was going to the Post Office anyway - it was about 10 miles, and he would only charge me $15.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:08 am 
Diamond Grade

yeah, this FFL is definetly trying to rip you off with his transfer fee charge. The most I have ever seen was $100 and the guy was just a home based FFL who ran a sporting clays course. He told me it takes time to do all the paperwork, hence his high fee. :roll: yeah, ok, whatever I'll go down the road to the guy who charges $30...which I have been doing since I moved to VA.

I would find another FFL for sure....

sernv99 wrote:

You need to account for whatever transfer fee your dealer charges to transfer the gun to you....you need to find a FFL that can do the transfer the cheapest. Not all dealers do a cheap transfer as stated in the other posts. Some places charge $50 to $100 for transfers.

Ya there's a place here in corpus that was wanting to charge me over 150 dollars for a transfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:42 am 
Limited Edition

Handguns can be shipped second day air and not next day unless you rather have it that way. I ship on the average 3 or 4 handguns a day through UPS. Check around some places will do a FFL transfer cheaper then other places. Check with some of the pawn shops and such as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

An FFL can ship handguns through USPS using 2nd day air. This is less expensive than over night which you would have to do if you shipped it yourself.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Bumbalough wrote:
Handguns have to be shipped next day air and to a FFL holder the shipping is in the $40 range . The other fee you will have to pay is for the FFL holder to transfer it to you and most charge $15 to $30 .

I agree with bumbalough! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yikes! The worst I've seen for regular title I transfers is $65 and I opted to use another FFL. I don't recall ever paying less than $10 for a transfer, nor more than $20.

I've seen NFA dealers charge in the $100+ zone, which isn't surprising considering the paperwork required and the nature of a niché market.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not have a ffl. I shipped a revolver back to ruger for repairs. UPS made me take it to the main distribution center and made me ship it overnight. Cost $60 at that time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are sending a gun to Ruger, they will send you a prepaid pickup call number, and they have a deal with UPS to do it for a flat $25, or at least they used to. Even if it wasn't warranty work, they would do that and put it on your bill.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:16 am 
Presentation Grade

So, figure the price of shipping+ffl transfer into the price of the gun. Is it still such a hot deal?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am 
Presentation Grade

Skytex wrote:
So, figure the price of shipping+ffl transfer into the price of the gun. Is it still such a hot deal?

I'm under 21 so I'd have to purchase the gun through my parents and the cheapest place for a sig which is what I am looking at, didn't really care for the glocks grips was the sharpshooter and they have the p229 base model which is msrp for like 850 they have it for 1150 so yes it would be worth it to buy from cheaper than dirt which is the cheapest place ive found and have it shipped over

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I typically pay $50 for a transfer. I've paid as high as $75, but never lower than $50.

Prayer for Obama: Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Around here a transfer fee is $10.00 to $30.00. Plus usually a lower price for multiple guns at one time, because they can be listed on the same form. I am glad to live in the middle of nowhere!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I assume you are buying it from a dealer in another state. In that case it can be mailed to your dealer by use of the USPS. Save you some money and you still only have to e pay for one FFL to recieve the pistol and do the paperwork.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Customstox wrote:
I assume you are buying it from a dealer in another state. In that case it can be mailed to your dealer by use of the USPS. Save you some money and you still only have to e pay for one FFL to recieve the pistol and do the paperwork.

No I think it'll be in state unless I find cheaper.