All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W Richards Belgium S+S 20 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I guys
I just found this gun in a closet of a house that I have been told to clean out
very old and beat up S+S 20 needs blue and stocks done
a very short fore arm (I can not shot it) but a gun freak and thinking about using it as a project gun
English stock
And I can not find any serial #s
lock back hammers
one works and one only stays back for a second Ouch
I have never worked on a gun before
only shot and clean
thanks
john
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL

Post subject: Re: W Richards Belgium S+S 20 gauge
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sorry guys
it is a 16 gauge
maybe I should stay away from gun work
if I can not get that right LOL :s :)
john

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:39 pm 
Crown Grade

John
The gun may or may not be a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun depending on where it was made. First, what is a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by a major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Second we need to know where the gun was made and that can be determined by proof marks stamped on the bottom of the barrels under the forearm. If there are the letters "ELG" in an oval, then the gun was made in Belgium. If there are crossed scepters or halberds (spear/battle axe) with a crown over that and letters in the intersections, then the gun was made in England. There were three makers that used the name W.RICHARDS, one Belgian and two English. The name isn't short for the maker WESTLEY RICHARDS, a more famous English maker. If the gun is indeed Belgian it was made by a large Belgian maker named Henri Pieper. The gun would have been made sometime between 1900 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Belgium, same thing for an English made gun. As to the hammer that won't stay cocked, it could be a broken or worn sear or trigger pawl. Only disassembly and inspection will determine that. More?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thank you
it has the oval and ELG on the barrels
boy are old barrels different from New ones
looks like my son did it
but then again it was all by "HAND"

this thing will take a lot of work
but I am in no rush
or is it something I send to the gunsmith and have done?
thank you
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
JOHN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks accepted, cash preferred. Normally I charge $3.00 for information about an old shotgun ($4.00 for correct information). Please put a $3.00 bill in the small slot on your computer and hit the send key. Don't use a $5.00 as my computer is not programed to make change. A word or two of advice about these old guns. They were made sometime between 1880 and 1914 like I said using the technology and metals of the times and for the ammunition in use back then which was either black powder or maybe, just maybe early low pressure smokeless powder and lead shot loaded. The barrels will most likely be damascus with 2 1/2 chambers. They were not designed for more modern high pressure smokeless powder loaded, 3 inch or magnum shells or steel shot. Since I can't see the gun to determine its condition, I have to recommend that it not be fired. Restoration? Even if it is fully restored, you still have an old shotgun. I think that the cost of having it restored by a professional gunsmith would be more that the value of the gun and restoration will remover any collector value. If you do restore it yourself one more word of caution. Don't attempt to hot salts blue the barrels. They are held togather and the ribs attached with solder. Hot bluing salts will dissolve the solder and you'll wind up with two single barrels instead of one double. Brownells Inc sells a hot water bluing solution that works quite well. Speaking of value, everyone wants to know. Old "Trade Brand Name" Belgian made doubles don't have much collector value except as wall hanger decorators. Values can range from maybe $100 for a prime example to $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk for only for a fire place poker.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thanks
ned
i always think i have found the genie in a bottle
jist going to hang it on the wall as is in my work (reloading station)
hope you had a Happy and Health Thanksgiving
john