CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rossi 20 gauge slug gun
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:46 am 
Field Grade

For years now I have wanted a tack driving designated slug gun. I see a lot of nice deer at the 100 to 150 yrd range that I had to pass up. Well I finally got one. The Rossi 20 ga. I wanted the H&R but a local dealer got me looking at the Rossi and I went ahead with it. Well so far I like it. Like the H&R it comes with a mounted scope rail and hammer spur. The Rossi also comes with sights and a removable cheek piece if you choose to use the sights. The Rossi also comes with a ported barrel which I hate. This gun is LOUD! That porting throws the sound right back at ya. I am seriously considering having the porting welded shut.
Also I'll complain about the trigger. "Stiff" would be an understatement. I'm really not sure but I would have to guess 6-8 lbs. Other than that I am impressed for $220 out the door.
Here is a pic of it with my buddies kid last weekend. This was his first ever deer and the guns first kill. 103 paces out using 3" winchester partition golds.

Post subject: Re: Rossi 20 gauge slug gun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:00 am 
Field Grade

Well I was told by a guy that you cant weld the ports shut. Something about the temper, warping, etc. Oh well I guess I can just live with the noise. Maybe my ears are just sensitive or something.
So far the gun seems to shoot about any ammo I've put through it pretty well. At least at 50 yards. 2" groups for the most part with no discernible difference in POI. I've shot Fusions, rem accutips, copper solids, winchester cheapy's, and 3" winchester partition golds. My groups are considerably larger at 100 yards but I'm more willing to blame myself more than the gun right now. (I haven't shot from a bench in years)
The little buck in the picture was taken with the 3" golds. It was a through and through but I have to believe the slug expanded like it was supposed to. The exit wound was the size of a silver dollar (maybe a bit smaller) and the meat was pretty shedded.
I'm anxious to try my 100 yard testing after the trigger job.

Post subject: Re: Rossi 20 gauge slug gun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:16 am 
Diamond Grade

Yes I would have to agree that welding on a barrel would be a NO GO! If you are still adamant about closing the porting holes, maybe epoxy would work?

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster