CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilla shooting glasses
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am considering buying some, the Hawks or Panthers. I see them for around $300 for a 3 lense set. So here is why I am looking at them, I am a one eyed shooter and at times I get a left angle bird and I am looking between my current glass lenses ( currently Rangers) I cannot get my lenses to completely cover my eye so I get the benefit of the lense. Another situation is when I shoot the right bird on doubles and my eye looks left for the second bird and I see between my lenses and the frames are partially in the way. I was thinking with the Pillas I would have lenses over that area and not seeing between bows and nose pieces. Has anyone tried Pillas or own them? I see they are advertised with Olympic contestants wearing them ( so you know if you buy them you will shoot better :lol: )
Seriously get me some feed back, I am tired of lloking through my frames, I like the lenses ability to high light the bird. And also do the Pillas really enhance the orange like they say?
Let her rip folks........................................... :D
We all know how huge it is to clearly see and focus on the bird in trap.

DDF

Post subject: Re: Pilla shooting glasses
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I was impressed with the quality of the lenses both standard and maxorange BUT the frames were too narrow for my big fat face. If you have a normal width face they should work well. I went back to the Ranger XLWs but also tried and really liked the Beretta Shields Each set was ~35 dollars with wrap single lens my favorires were the persimmon and light purple. Beretta also makes a similar set with plastic arms and same colors for about $14 a set. Cheap if you just want to try the concept. Gamaliels has them.

--- Chip King ---

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You're looking between the lenses? Do you have them set too far out on your nose? I can't see between the lenses on mine. Maybe you have your head turned in toward the gun. If you do, you have a gun fit issue.

Anyway, before I'd plunk down Pilla kind of $$, I'd put my hands on a set of these:

...or these:

...or even these:

I have a set of that last one and I can say that they're fine. They sit high enough on my nose that I don't see the top bar even if I can't my head down a little. I've also owned a pair of the second ones. They are good also.

The clarity is good on these glasses and I had no distortion in any of mine.

While I'm sure the Pilla are great glasses, I'm not convinced that they are 2x better than what you already have. I have a set of RE XLs and they are great. The adjustable nose piece let's me fit them so they are in the center of my shooting vision. and I think I spent $180 for them including shipping.

Call Tom at Texas Shooter's Optical and tell him I sent you. Neither you nor I will get anything if you mention my name, but it's always fun to say that someone recommended you. :lol:

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've had both Oakley and High Def Spex (now Pilla). I think the Pilla lenses are superior in terms of clarity over the Oakley, which are very good, the problem you cite with seeing the frames does happen with my HDSpex Sebrings. It is more of a problem when I shoot trap than sporting, but the Oakley style frame offers better sight pictures and you never see the frame. I'd try the less expensive brands/style before investing in Pillas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 am 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for responding, Winmod21 I guess both you and I have a gun fit issue, I knew someone was going to say that, but I expected Rollin, thanks Rastis. I don't care what I wear, right now wear my reading glasses and turn my right eye to look to my left I can see the nose pad and center frames. I just need a solid lense with no posts straight thru.
DDF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:21 am 
Diamond Grade

DD, I got my prescription glasses form a local discount 24 hour store where they make and dye the glasses onsite. They were about $80 and I have two pair, a yellow for overcast days and a maroon for sunny days. As a tape lens shooter, I just had the right lens replaced when my prescription changed. However, I do have oversized lenses so I don't see any frames.

With my floaters problem, I can't see a lot of targets very well anyway, so I don't worry too much about my shooting glasses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Jim,
I remember you talking about your floaters, once in a while I can see one in my right eye. Anyway, sometimes I see a bird and just follow through and crush it, I think I really didn't follow and see like I should, but I guess muscle memory did the work. Kind of a wake up for me when a guy gets lazy.
DDF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dead Dog Fritz wrote:
Thanks for responding, Winmod21 I guess both you and I have a gun fit issue, I knew someone was going to say that, but I expected Rollin, thanks Rastis. I don't care what I wear, right now wear my reading glasses and turn my right eye to look to my left I can see the nose pad and center frames. I just need a solid lense with no posts straight thru.
DDF

I have a custom fit stock, but when I premount for shooting trap I can see the frames in my peripheal vision. It's not much of a problem with sporting clays. Yes, whatever you get they should have no posts. Happy Thanksgiving.
EG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Been there done that.

The HiDefSpex are the BEST glasses out there period. A lot of international shooters are going over to Pilla and using their product. Look into the Panthers, they are the visor style lens - you can get the nose piece in a variety of options or you can go no nose piece and just use a small bridge. We chose the nose piece to get a custom fit to make sure the glasses fit perfectly. The lens selection is excellent. Until you have looked through a set of Max Orange lenses you really haven't seen what's possible in vision.

Next best is Oakley M Frames, we have several pairs of these and still use them for certain lighting conditions (when we need a clear lens or yellows).

If you are disturbed by the transition area using traditional two piece glasses then you will really like the Pilla glasses. They are not cheap but they are the best available so far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:03 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm also in the camp of those who enjoy the Pilla lenses. I wear the Hawk and have been very happy with them for both the clarity of lense, and no center bridge to block my view.

Jim C

Michigan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dog...please tell me your not moving your head on the stock as you move to the target. See if this make sense? If you mount the gun with your pupils centered in the Rx (nickel sized sweet spot or prism) and you move the gun with your vision to the target sight picture that centers. How could the target over run your lenses? If it does....is it your starting point or reaction time that ficilitates this happening. Is it mounting the stock where your eyes are already off lens spot...potentailly too long of LOP. Are you tensing with that target angle and not following vision, naturally moving to the target in control.

The full face lense of Pilla is not avialable in Rx and you will need to wear contacts. Some of my clients choose Rx lenses over contacts to see more clearly. Inserts will narrow the field of view dramatically and have a transition edge.

Just consider why you are asking this question and why you are having this issue. It may not be vision based, but rather form/fit related. It could be that you have killed way too may brain cells, as if you had too many in the first place. Talk to Yoda first.

Yoda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have never been able to center my eye in glasses. But you may have a point in "starting point" too much off the house on # 5. I want lenses that are continuous, thats all. Is that okay?
And I don't need RX glasses, you got me mixed up with some other hill billy, you forgetful old fart :lol: :lol:
When I mount my shotgun looking into a mirror it looks similar to the same thing in Magazines................. trap shooting magazines, gotta be specific on here. :lol:
DDF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dead Dog Fritz wrote:
I have never been able to center my eye in glasses. But you may have a point in "starting point" too much off the house on # 5. I want lenses that are continuous, thats all. Is that okay?
And I don't need RX glasses, you got me mixed up with some other hill billy, you forgetful old fart :lol: :lol:
When I mount my shotgun looking into a mirror it looks similar to the same thing in Magazines................. trap shooting magazines, gotta be specific on here. :lol:
DDF

Hate to tell ya Bro, but plano lenses have a sweet spot similar to a Rx prism and curvature creates prism. The flat area on the Pilla lenses would be mostly clear even for a trapshooter that mounts his gun sideways. Mirror - mirro on the wall, thats for your wife, you need to stick to advise. But, even well intended advise falls short when working with a Mondamtana bonehead with a flat forehead and a wondering cheek on the stock. :lol:

This will end up about the same as your 7/8oz arguement.....and my hunting Mountain Lion with 22 short analogy. Only winner will be the Lion. :wink:

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Maltz I know you are your own boss but quit drinking so early in the day :lol: mirror mirror, now that was funny.
DDF
A stubborn hard headed Ioweigen better look in the mirror and my forehead is slightly convex not flat:lol: I just super glue my cheek to the stock and roll my eyes around looking for the bird.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:33 pm 
Field Grade

I'm drawn to the original post, with the conclusion that I have been looking in all the wrong places! Pilla Panther 3 lens set, @ $300.

Any tips on where to shop / buy?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, there are many places on the internet to find these. Considering that this thread is three years old, the price has probably changed though.

Why not just contact Tom in the link I posted above? You'll save a bunch of money and get glasses that are perfect for shooting.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.bing.com/search?q=pilla%20gl ... owAppsUI=1

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have just gotten a new set of Pilla Panther X-Post frames and prescription insert and 4 lenses. Fantastic glasses… I am not aware of them most of the time. The choice of lens colors is important based on the conditions you will be shooting in. I had the good fortune to visit Pilla in Ridgefield, CT and one week later I got the frames, lenses and prescription insert. I am more than happy with the shooting system and the Pilla staff.
Art