CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rem 1100 vs Rem 11/87 vs Benelli ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

What is the opinion of the learned-group concerning the comparison of these semiautos ?

Remington 1100
Remington 11/87
Benelli M2

Is the Remington 1100 an ancient design that has outlived anything but nostalgic use ?

Or is the 1100 the most tried-and-true semiauto there is ?

Has the 11/87 overcome all the shortcomings of the 1100 ?

Or what shortcomings are you talking about ?

Is the Benelli semiauto so far advanced that considering other semiautos is foolish ?

What is the official opinion of those that know ?

Post subject: Re: Rem 1100 vs Rem 11/87 vs Benelli ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I may not be one of "Those that Know"
I am shooting a 45 year old 1100. It eats everything that I feed it and only gets cleaned every 600 rounds or so. I put a few hundred a week through it.
I see no shortcomings in the 1100!

Just my 2 cents

Defense League, Inc
http://www.ccdl.us

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:13 pm 

While I don't think there is any one, end all be all model. I'd take the M2 for any use, any time over either Remington. The M2 has much better quality, reliability, less weight, better balance, more features, easier to clean, goes much longer duration beween cleanings, and cycles as wide of or wider range of loads.

Depending on your intended use/s, there may even be better choices than any of the models you mention.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have owned an 1100 , an1187 and have just inherited a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga. My origional 1100 was fixed choke had pressed checkering in the wood and could only shoot 2 3/4" shells unless you got the Magnum version.My 1187 addressed these issues by adding Remchokes a 3 inch chamber and cut checkering. Yes compared to Berettas the gas system is pretty ancient and my two guns were finnicky about cleanliness and there can be an issue with the wide variety of loads being shot today from cycling light loads to slamming the bolt with heavy loads as these guns gas systems do not compensate for the difference. Having said that ,they were excellent shooters with light recoil and great handling characteristics and have an excellent support network with parts and aftermarket stuff available. I have yet to shoot the Benelli as I've just gotten it but I've noticed how slender the forearm is on it and how light it is as there is no gas system. Can't wait to get it on the range to see what these guns are all about and what people that own them are raving about. Also I should point out that the modern version of the 1100 has more things in common with the 1187 than the origional 1100.

Last edited by Jaspo01 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What Worc said!

I have not kept any Remington shotgun that I ever owned a full year, including one made by Kolar.

And I would never buy another one, at any price.

Benelli, Beretta and the FN Winchester/Brownings, depending on intended use.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah I took my Benelli Super 90 out to the range for the 1st time to shoot a round of skeet. I can see why people that own them like them so much. It's a smooth well balanced gun and it gave me a lot of confidence shooting it even though I rarely shoot skeet. I decided to learn to strip and clean it. That chore took me about 1/3 of the time of an 1187 or a 391.

1984 Browning Citori Trap, 1963 Browning Superposed, Benelli Montefeltro Super 90

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:43 am 
Crown Grade

yes, the M2 is quite a nice gun, but given the choice, make mine a mint 1100 LT-20 any day of the week...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:06 pm 
Field Grade

In almost forty years of shotguns, a Benelli was my worst gun, a Benelli 20 GA. Montefltro, in shop twice first season with it, sold it following year. Try a Maxus.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
Crown Grade

The 1100 is a functional range gun if you can stand the thing that Remington calls a trigger and you clean it religiously.

In the field, its shortcomings become starkly clear. Its controls are just not good for real field use. The Benelli is a better gun, by virtue of its being far newer and therefore trying to directly address complaints with older models, but it's not perfect. Nothing is. The inertia system is, perhaps, an acquired taste, but so is an 1100/11-87. The 11-87 is the 1100 with a gas valve system; what I consider the 1100's shortcomings were not changed at all in the 11-87.

Faced with a similar choice, I bought Berettas...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:20 am 
Utility Grade

I and several of my waterfowl hunting partners have worn out 1100s and then upgraded to guns that would handle the 3 1/2" loads and that had interchangeable choke tubes.

I upgraded to the 11-87 exactly at the time that they upgraded from 11-87 to Benelli SBE. They had gotten tired of the clunky handling and frequent single-shot mode.

Then I upgraded to the SBE just at the time they all switched to the Beretta Extrema II and kept the SBEs as backup guns.

I think the 11-87 SPS was a quick knee-jerk reaction by Remmington to compete in the 3 1/2" shell game. They seem not to have engineered it to handle what it was sized to handle. One Remmington gun smith asked my partner why he had to shoot such a heavy load in that gun. Well, duh, Remmington says it will handle those loads.

I'd go back to my 11 for range games but leave it behind on hunting trips. It's heavier and balkier than the SBE. I'll use my 11-87 as a jack handle.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

I would quit shotgunning if I had to buy another Beretta autoloader. Owned three of their guns, nothing special in the least. The 390 is better than the over-designed 391 series and it's cheaper. Ever deal with Beretta USA service, LOL. Remington or Browning is about it for me.

As for Benelli, just look who owns them!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:39 am 
Crown Grade

391s have a lot of trouble and handle like crap. That must be why they're the only autoloaders you see at a Sporting Clays range... :P

Beretta's service has supposedly improved. I know that the company was trying to improve it, due to their bad reputation in that area. But I haven't had to use it, so I don't know. Ruger's service is beyond excellent -- but the downside is that I've had to use it, whereas other guns haven't broken in the first place. Hard to say what's better.

Browning has some attractive autos out now, with some attractive prices, too (relative to others anyway). They're well worth a look, in both Browning and Winchester trim.

Remington doesn't make anything I'd spend my money on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I think the older 1100s are good quality. I dont like the feel personaly. I shoot an M1 and a SBE. I have a browning gold also but dont shoot it alot. The inetia system is very simple and easy to clean. The M1 is the best ballanced gun on the planet (for me). It does kick a little with shells that a gas gun would tame. That unfortunatly is the real world pros and cons of the shotgun world. The 390 beretta is a really nice gun. Light well ballanced and soft shooting. To many companys change there lineup to often, instead of making a long lasting product that doesnt need to change every 5 years. If the extrema was right the first time there wouldnt be a extrema 2. The sbe2 and M2 are the same guts as the sbe and M1 they changed the cosmetics and choke tube. Why they didnt just change the choke and stock and not change the name. Like browning did with the o/u. They started putting inv+ instead of inv. If benelli would have just changed the things they changed and called it moble + then they would have a long running line of shotguns like remington. I applaud remington for keeping the 1100 in there lineup. Its the olny shotgun they have worth a crap. 1187 3.5" JUNK 105 JUNK versamax probobly junk too. 1100 tried and tru with good care taken and maintainance will last a looong time. If you like that type of gun. If you like light and lively game guns the benellis are a better choice.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:36 pm 
Field Grade

Heres my 2 cents. I like the 11-87 supermag 12 gauge. I liked my 1100 20 gauge but felt somewhat limited by the 2 3/4 inch chamber. I have had great customer service from Remington anytime I ever had a problem with any of their products.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:28 pm 
Field Grade

I looked at all 3 models you mentioned.
The 1187 (new) felt awkward and roughly made.
The 1100 (used) felt a bit better, looked better built, but felt a bit heavy.
The M2 was balanced, light, looked more precision made and shouldered quickly so I bought it (20 guage). The M2 with the "comfort tech stock" fit like a glove, but I got the non-comfort tech one because it was $500 less. I only shot it once to check its pattern and shell handling capability. It passed with flying colors, but i have yet to try it on clays. Easy to disassemble/assemble .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My mom got my dad a 1100 light 20 in the 70's and with the cylinder barrel it has take a truck load of quail with nary a hiccup. Now that it is mine, I have been using it with the modified barrel this winter for rabbit hunting, still nary a hiccup. I know that it may not be the most modern whizbang of a gun out there, but in the light 20 set up, it for my dad and I has been one great field gun for the uplands.

That said, I still would love to have the M2 in a 20. But until then, I in no way feel handicapped with the 1100.