CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excel 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:13 am 
Utility Grade

I just came across an Excel, 20 gauge, single barrel shotgun. SN 70387 XF. I can't find a lot of info on this gun, can anyone help?

Post subject: Re: Excel 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:12 am 
Crown Grade

I thought Marines knew everything about guns. Let this old retired Air Force weenie help you out. The gun is what is known (or called by me anyway) a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun in one that was made by a major maker and before 1940 (if it was made after 1945, I call it a "Store Brand Name") for and was sold by either a wholesaler or retailer who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns with the name EXCEL were made by three makers, Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, MA, (1893 to 1932), Crescent -Davis Arms Corporation also of Norwich,Ma (1933 to 1938) or Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works of Fitchburg,MA (1874 to 1992) for and were sold by the Montgomery Ward Company of Chicago.IL. Need more information to tell you which one made the gun. If the serial number is stamped on the lower tang behind the trigger guard, it was made by Crescent. I think this one was made by Iver Johnson.

Post subject: Re: Excel 20 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Ahhh.... Norwich is in Connecticut. H&D Folsom Arms Co. sold their (Crescent Fire Arms Co./American Gun Co./trade brand) factory in Norwich to J. Stevens Arms Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of Savage Arms Corp., on December 15, 1930. The Crescent-Davis Arms Corporation that Savage/Stevens formed there lasted into 1935. On November 4, 1935, an order of dissolution was filed with the New York Secretary of State, and after that the remains went to the J. Stevens Arms Co. factory in Chicopee Falls, MA. Crescent-Davis guns continued to be offered by J. Stevens until WW-II.