CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Gun Co. 410 Hammer Double Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Looking for information on this shotgun and the value.

Post subject: Re: American Gun Co. 410 Hammer Double Barrel Shotgun
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:33 pm 
Diamond Grade

http://docs.google.com/document/pub?id= ... GIhfguSXXQ

Put your trust in God; but mind to keep your powder dry! Oliver Cromwell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:01 pm 
Crown Grade

From H&D Folsom Arms Co. catalogue No. 18 (circa 1920) --

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Two possible names for this gun, one maker and two sellers. Whichever, the gun is a ""Trade Brand Name" shotgun. A "Trade Brand Name" shotgun is one that was made by a major maker (and before 1940) for and was sold by a wholesale or retail dealer who chose the name to go on the gun. There are two possible names AMERICAN GUN CO. and AMERICAN GUN COMPANY (no abbreviation). Both names were used on guns made by Crescent Fire Arms Company of Norwich, CT (1892 to 1931). The first name was used on guns made for and sold by the Supplee Biddle Hardware Company of Philadelphia,PA and the second was used on guns made for and sold by Sears Roebuck & Co of Chicago,IL. Value? Everyone wants to know. The value of one of these old guns will depend on its condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. For reasons unknown to me, the value of .410 bore (not gauge) double barrel shotguns run higher that the same identical gun in the more standard gauges of 12. 16 and 20 gauges. Values can run from a high of maybe $200 or more for a prime example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon to $50 or less for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage. I have to caution against shooting one of these old guns since I can not see the gun to determine its condition. If you have any intention of trying to shoot it, take it to a good competent gunsmith for a checkout before you do.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:26 pm 
Crown Grade

I find both American Gun Co. and American Gun Company used in
H&D Folsom Arms Co. catalogues and advertising --

I also in a few minutes search thru my catalogue collection find American Gun Co./Company guns in Schoverling, Daly & Gales catalogues and in Shreve & Barber of San Francisco, California, catalogues. I'd say American Gun Co./Company named guns are not "Trade Brand" but rather the name you got when you ordered guns from H&D Folsom Arms Co. and didn't specify your own "trade brand." From my period material research it seems like H&D Folsom Arms Co. used the American Gun Co./Company name for guns they manufactured at their factory in Norwich, Connecticut, from about 1899 to the early to mid-1920s. Then they seemed to revert to using the Crescent Fire Arms Co. name for the guns they made?!?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:10 pm 
Crown Grade

And if you look further, you will also find AMERICAN GUN CO OF NEW YORK and AMERICAN GUN COMPANY OF N.Y.