CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alexander Henry shotgun value help?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I just acquired an Alexander Henry 12 gauge side by side double trigger external hammer shotgun and am trying to determine a value for it. It has 28” barrels, the top rib is marked A. Henry, Edinburgh & London. The barrels look to be Damascus steel, blued. The receiver and frame are silver in color and engraved in a floral pattern, A. Henry is scribed on both locks. The serial number is 625x. The shotgun looks to be all original; I am just looking for guidance as to where I can find more information and values for this gun. Any help would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Alexander Henry shotgun value help?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:15 am 
Crown Grade

Does it have an address? Probably on the rib between the barrels, maybe under the forearm or on the watertable.

Alexander Henry is regarded as the most famous gunmaker from Scotland.

Alexander Henry's rifles are quite sought after... but there's not a lot of info on his shotguns.

Your gun is most likely to have been produced prior to 1895

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:24 am 
Utility Grade

The rib between the barrels is marked "A. Henry, Edinburgh & London". The bottom of the barrels under the forend has some markings. Both have 3 different proof marks, one is marked "17", the other is marked "16B", "17M", and "NOT FOR BALI". The rib is marked "JJ". Below the chambers on the barrel is marked "21/2" and "3" as well as the guns serial number and other proofs and bore measurements. There are also many Crown over "BNP" proof marks. I hope this might help; I can take digital pics and send them to anybody that might be able to assist me in valuing this shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:39 am 
Presentation Grade

You tell us very little about the condition of the gun. It is 99% sure to be Damascus barreled, since it's marked "Not For Ball" The fact that it's blued, means non-originnal. Condition of the bores is important, condition of wood,all are important in establishing a value.. Cheers.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:27 pm 
Utility Grade

My fault, yes I should mention some more information about the condition. The barrels are 28", both bores are in excellent condition, shiny showing no signs of rust or pits. The stock is in great condition, English straight style, checkering worn from use, dings and dents but no cracks. The forend is in the same condition but looks to have had a crack repaired around the release mechanism. The receiver is in good condition, all silver in color with great engraving present over most all of the surfaces. A few of the screws are buggered and one of the hammers and hammer screw looks to be a replacement. The hammer doesn't match perfectly, though it too is engraved and looks "period". Overall I would rate this gun at 70%. Not quite sure what to say about the blued barrels don't know if that can be stripped without damaging the value. Again, any information that can be provided is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:37 am 
Presentation Grade

The collector value was pretty much killed when they blued the barrels. As marland said, Alex Henry. like
Daniel Frazer, was better known for his rifles. There are a few dedicated shooters of Damascus Hammer guns, However, unless they are by a top tier maker, they won't command a lot of money. The Henry is probably worth $350 to $550..Have a god day..Bushrod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:19 am 
Field Grade

When damascus steel is blued the pattern all but disappears, even if they have been blued it distracts little from the value. What is more important for a gun of this make and age is, have the barrel thickness remained the same over the years (pits not honed out). You say the barrels have been blued, is the name on the barrels sharp or has it been polished out? Many damascus guns were original finished in blue (black & white) You do not say how the gun opens, a lever on the top or a bottom lever or? You need to find a gunsmith who specializes in what you have and have them look at it. Try posting your info at
http://gunshop.comIsClosed/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultim ... =forum;f=1
ask for the name of someone near where you live who understands these.

Oh and it’s a 16 gauge.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:48 am 
Presentation Grade

2563: For the most part, I agree with what you say. Bore size and wall thickness should be checked, and gunshop.comIsClosed has some pretty sharp people, But to say blued over Damascus has little effect on value is off base, especially for a collector. I forgot to add, the gun was built in 1891. Cheers.. Bushrod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:08 pm 
Field Grade

Bushrod: During the normal life of a shotgun in the UK it is sent back to the maker or gunsmith, sometimes after every hunting season, to be cleaned, this may include having the stock refinished and the checkering re-cut, during it’s life the barrel may have been rebrowned (blued) more than once. This is normal for many of these guns and if properly done do little to affect the value.

American collectors do discount guns that are not “Factory Original”. People who understand English shotguns generally do not use the same system of evaluation.

I understand that the gun would be worth less to you, but I see it differently. The only reason I posted was your 350 to $550 evaluation of gun you have never seen and do not understand.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

2563: Thats what it;s all about here, giving an estimate, to the best of one's knowledge, based on the facts, without having the gun in hand. There;s a vast difference in a blued over Damacus barrel and one restored to it's original beauty. What we have is a Provincial maker, blued over Damascus barrels, one mismatched hammer and a buggered screw on a 113 year old gun. I say $350 to $550, I note you didn't evalueate it. Cheers .. Bushrod