CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CZ Uplander Ultra Light Review -UPDATE-
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:41 am 
Field Grade

Well, trying to post pics of this gun was too much of a hassle for me, I don't do the camera stuff around the house, but here is my review from the few shells that have gone through it.

I think I should start this review with a disclaimer that I am a hunter only and do not shoot clays, skeet, trap, or any other type of target. I shoot critters and love to have the dog with me. I bought this gun for hunting purposes only. Now, obviously I shot a few clays during the trial run and I always shoot a few before hunting season but wanted to let you all know where I was coming from. Additionally, I did not pattern the gun but just shot some clays (so this won't be a complete review).

My Ultra Light weighed in a 6.27 pounds on my scale. The gun fits me really well, and for a lighter gun swings really nice. I really don't how much of a difference weight makes in general but heavier guns have seemed to swing better for me. I gave the gun a good cleaning with Breakfree CLP, wiped off any excess and waited for the right day to pull the trigger.

Here is what I put through the barrel.

1. Federal 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #7.5
2. Federal 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz #5 (pheasant loads)
3. Kent 3" 1 1/8 oz #4 (steel shot) - This is my early season duck load
4. Kent 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 (steel shot) - This is my every day duck load
5. Kent 3" 1 1/4oz BB (steel shot) - these never went through the barrel as you'll see in the review.

I shot the loads above, basically, as they are written. I did mix a couple up at the end for recoil testing with out knowing exactly what was going through the barrel but I'll get to that.

With the light loads, this gun is very enjoyable to shoot and I could not tell any real difference in recoil compared to any of the other double guns I've shot in the past ( I only own one other but have shot several). I shot a box of the #7.5s and the gun performed perfectly and I surprised myself with a good number of broken clays (hand thrown from a buddy).

Now on to the #5s. Definitely felt more recoil here but as mentioned in other reviews not so much as to discourage me from taking to the field. I typically don't feel recoil when a bird bust out or decoys in but this gun definitely has some kick too it; however, with the lighter weight it will be much nicer carrying all day. There is a trade off and I may consider #6s in the future. I shot about 15 rounds and decided to take a break.

OK, for the 3" #4s, they didn't knock any fillings out but this gun will only see duty as a dove, rabbit, quail, and pheasant gun. Definitely felt the recoil and have a couple marks to prove it (good thing I don't know how to post pics cause you guys would have a few laughs). Shot 10 rounds, wanted to shoot more but it just wasn't worth it.

Ready for the 3" #2s? This is when I actually decided the gun was not going to be in the duckblind. Fired 2 rounds and decided since I was never going to do it again it just wasn't worth the punishment (In my past, I got paid to get punched but this was voluntary and I wasn't doing it any more).

I finished up by letting my friend load the gun (for safety purposes, he would load the gun, make safe, leave it on the bench, and I would retrieve so we were not handing off a loaded weapon). I did this so I didn't know what was going through as I would not anticipate the recoil. Well, my friend decided his first test would be 2 #2s. I still can't believe he kept a straight face as I picked up the gun. Obviously I wasn't too happy with him after this. But again, at the end of the day, the lighter loads were not bad at all and the 3" rounds were just too much for me and too many rounds concern me about unnecessary wear on the gun.

So, as you can tell I made my mind up as to why the BBs were not going to be put in the test.

So, this gun is as advertised - It is advertised as an upland gun, not a duck gun, so it fits the bill rather nicely. I am very, very, very satisfied with my purchase. Additionally, I am really impressed with the way these guns are put together and they seem very solid. I'll be purchasing a future HUGLU for the duckblind, just won't be one in the 6 pound range.

I know this wasn't a great in-depth review but it is what I was able to do in an afternoon. I'll be doing some young dog work on a pheasant reserve in a couple weeks and will report back. Worst case scenario I may email some pictures to a willing recipient so someone who knows what they are doing can post some pics.

Take Care,

Last edited by Copper1 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CZ Uplander Ultra Light Review
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I bought a CZ Upland Ultralight for some bird hunting in southeastern PA. When you hunt public lands like I do you do a lot more walking than shooting.(who needs a fitness club.) This Upland fits my purposes perfectly. This particular gun has 3" chambers and 28" barrels and does weigh in 6lb area according to my scale. The quality on this particular gun seems to be very high, the barrel regulation is dead on; the factory chokes pattern well with the ammo I've used and this particular gun is very well balanced. I will say that recoil was high with the factory soft rubber butt plate which didn't surprise me. I removed the butt plate and cut the stock so that it would have a 14.25" length of pull with a medium Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad. The Limbsaver pad solved recoil problem and I'm able to shoot some 1500fps steel waterfowl loads through the gun without any discomfort. The slip-on pad allows easy access for stock removal in the event the action needs some maintenance.

I've heard a few negative comments about CZ/Huglu shotguns so I'll see for myself how good or bad these guns actually are. The gun has a 5 year warranty so if I have any problems with it I'll send it back. That situation would not be a big deal because the Upland is not the only gun I own. So far so good with the Upland.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great review Copper1. I kinda believed the gun would recoil like a 16" deck gun on the Mighty Mo with magnum loads. But you have a great upland gun and a great dove gun.

cdb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:54 am 
Crown Grade

I have two 12 ga. SxSs in the same weight range. They are strictly upland guns. The heaviest load I have put through them is 1-1/8 oz at around 1300 fps. I have become a fan of B&P shells, they have some excellent rounds that have light-recoil and great patterns (for me). You can order a mixed case of 10 boxes and get free shipping. Try out some different loads to see what you like, that's what I did. Then watch for sales - they currently have 10% off any three cases. Seems like a lot of shells to order, but their prices are way below any other "premium" shell you can find.

Their High Pheasant in 1 oz or 1-1/16 oz would be fantastic in that gun, or the MB Classic in 1-1/8 oz. (32 grams is actually 1-1/7 oz, but who's counting?).

Thanks for the review!

MD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:06 am 
Field Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
Great review Copper1. I kinda believed the gun would recoil like a 16" deck gun on the Mighty Mo with magnum loads. But you have a great upland gun and a great dove gun.

cdb

You are 100% correct! I have a buddy that is more of an upland guy than a duckblind guy and we have shared some spots, upland gives me something to do between the two splits for duck season. Plus I got a little yellow lab that is real birdy so he should enjoy it as well. I'll post a better "field" report after the 15th.

Take Care,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Copper....I must compliment you! You've gotta have a serious pair of big brass ones to run 3" #2s through a 6.25 lbs shotgun! I tip my hat to you Sir!

Glad you like your new Huglu! Having read your and pashotgunner's reviews, I suspect there will be one in my armory before the 2011 bird season opener!

As you said, this is not an "all purpose" gun, a duck blind gun nor is it a clayshooters gun. Its a carry gun. Meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.

Some would say that makes it a "lesser" gun, but for those of us that like to own LOTS of shotguns, "special purpose" guns are where its at.

.....I need this one for upland....this one for clays....this one for ducks and geese.....and, of course, I need each of those in 12, 16, 20 and maybe 28 gauge!

HMMMMM......That makes a minimum of 12 Shotguns I need! And I only have 5! :w I guess I better go make some money! I have a severe "shotgun shortage" I need to remedy!

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi Guys. I will also give a review on my Upland Ultralight. I purchased my gun last summer and have used it both for trap and hunting. I personally did not think that the gun kicked very much no matter what load I was shooting. I saw my trap scores go consistantly up and I ended the season with a 21 average. I am by no means a great shot as you can tell but I enjoy shooting.

For hunting, I have used the gun for both waterfowl and mostly pheasants. I only shot 2 3/4 inch shells thru it while waterfowl hunting but was able to drop 2 geese this year with it. Maybe it was the rush of excitement, but to me I did not feel much kick while duck hunting this year. As for pheasant hunting goes, it was a great gun to be carrying in the field. I made my annual trip out to South Dakota and it was great to be able to carry this light weight gun around. I am very happy that I got this gun this year. I am looking forward to many more years with this gun!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RichBandit, welcome to the Huglu forum {hs# {hs# Glad to have you here, and glad you like the Ultralight. Come back often and keep us posted on how things go for you. Do you have any pictures of your gun?

cdb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:56 pm 
Crown Grade

+1 Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:06 am 
Field Grade

mountaindave wrote:
I have two 12 ga. SxSs in the same weight range. They are strictly upland guns. The heaviest load I have put through them is 1-1/8 oz at around 1300 fps. I have become a fan of B&P shells, they have some excellent rounds that have light-recoil and great patterns (for me). You can order a mixed case of 10 boxes and get free shipping. Try out some different loads to see what you like, that's what I did. Then watch for sales - they currently have 10% off any three cases. Seems like a lot of shells to order, but their prices are way below any other "premium" shell you can find.

Their High Pheasant in 1 oz or 1-1/16 oz would be fantastic in that gun, or the MB Classic in 1-1/8 oz. (32 grams is actually 1-1/7 oz, but who's counting?).

Thanks for the review!

MD

Thanks for the link to the shells. I'm going to be purchasing a case of the High Pheasant to have on hand for the preserve birds I'll be training the pup on. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
RichBandit, welcome to the Huglu forum {hs# {hs# Glad to have you here, and glad you like the Ultralight. Come back often and keep us posted on how things go for you. Do you have any pictures of your gun?

cdb

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry no pics of my gun. I am looking at getting another CZ also but this one is going to be a varmint rifle. Although you can never have too many shotguns and CZ has some new ones coming out this year that look really nice. You never know what will come home with me one of these days.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

RichBandit wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry no pics of my gun. I am looking at getting another CZ also but this one is going to be a varmint rifle. Although you can never have too many shotguns and CZ has some new ones coming out this year that look really nice. You never know what will come home with me one of these days.

I would really like to get my hands on that 912, it looks nice. :D :D

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Well gentlemen after shooting some 1550 fps steel loads out of my Ultra Light the gun failed to open on a few occasions. I was able to open it by tapping the butt stock on the ground and then it would open. I sent the gun back to CZ and was informed the problem was caused by the top firing pin being slightly longer than the bottom. The gun is on its way back presently so when the weather permits I'll see if it's fixed. I will say the people at CZ are very accommodating.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pashotgunner...

Sorry to hear about the problem you had with your Ultralight! Sadly, as we all know, any brand of gun can and does have problems from time to time. :(

The important thing when a gun does have a problem is how easy and painless the Manufacturer or importer makes the repair process.

From your post, I gather your experience with CZ-USA customer service was good.

Could you perhaps give us some details? Did CZ-USA cover the shipping both ways?

How long was the turn-around time from when you shipped the gun until you received it back?

About how many shells had you fired through the gun when you first had this problem?

Thanks....2few

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

2fewdaysafield,

Actually I'm not upset with the firing pin problem at all. I had read that Huglu had problems like this from time to time. Again no big deal. My work sheet stated they altered both firing pins and the gun test fired good after the alterations. CZ got the gun on 12/13/10 and shipped it out 1/17/11. I received it today. The Upland UltraLight is not the only gun I own so sending it back on my dime was not a problem. The service from CZ was very good... no complaints there.I have had worse service from the "B" gun entourage... not to be confused with Browning. Browning service has always been excellent for me when needed. A word to the wise... it's always good to have a spare shotgun available just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

pashotgunner wrote:
2fewdaysafield,

Actually I'm not upset with the firing pin problem at all. I had read that Huglu had problems like this from time to time. Again no big deal. My work sheet stated they altered both firing pins and the gun test fired good after the alterations. CZ got the gun on 12/13/10 and shipped it out 1/17/11. I received it today. The Upland UltraLight is not the only gun I own so sending it back on my dime was not a problem. The service from CZ was very good... no complaints there.I have had worse service from the "B" gun entourage... not to be confused with Browning. Browning service has always been excellent for me when needed. A word to the wise... it's always good to have a spare shotgun available just in case.

Glad you are satisfied with the service from CZ-USA. A total turn-around time of about 40 days seems a touch on the long side compared to what I've come to expect from CZ-USA, but when you factor in the fact that that 40 day period included the Christmas/New Years period, I don't think it is excessive.

And as you say, many if not most other brands don't do nearly as well.

And yes....its always a good idea to have a spare shotgun available....just in case....which is perhaps why on the recent Huglu Forum pheasant hunt in Oklahoma, I toted 2 shotguns to the airport. Didn't expect a malfunction from either (and I didn't have one) but it surely would suck to find yourself 1700 miles from home on a hunt with a malfunctioning gun.

Best.....2few

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

2few,

Having a gun malfunction 1700 miles from home would not be my idea of a good time either. Smart move. I went quail/pheasant hunting in Kansas in 1996 with 4 other people and we had plenty of spare shotguns just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Glad to hear it worked out just fine - good customer service is a must if a business plans to have a future. Thanks for updating.

MD

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:41 am 
Tournament Grade

40 days to me would be a long time but when you add that this was over the holiday season, well then I don't think that is too bad. Just think of how many days were in this period where considered holiday days or the weekends. Also to think about how busy the shipping companies are you can be a little more understanding. Glad to hear that it went well for you. CZ-USA is a great company and will always provide great customer service.

I agree also with never having too many guns on a trip. Seems to me like any hunting trip I go on, everyone seems to bring at least 1 extra. Some even bring more that that!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

I read on CZ's website that it is only a 2 3/4 inch gun. Does the new ones shoot 3 inch then? Just a little confused.

I have been looking for one for upland, waterfowl and some dog training.