CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XS Big Dot sight for Remington
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:51 pm 
Field Grade

The sight on the right in this picture: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24532/Product/SHOTGUN_BIG_DOT_TRITIUM_FRONT_SIGHT

Designed to fit over a Remington bead on a plain barrel and be installed with Acraglas. Anyone used one?
Particularily interested in the heigth from barrel to the center of the dot. I need something taller than my current bead.
Any comments/help appreciated.

Post subject: Re: XS Big Dot sight for Remington
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:53 pm 
Field Grade

I guess this is a more specific link

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=5075 ... ot_Tritium

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm 
Field Grade

I got one, and installed it on my Remington 12 ga. 870 Express 18" Cylinder bore.

It fit perfectly.

I used a little too much epoxy, but it stays put after hundreds of rounds.

It glows in the dark, and it is bright.

This is not a duck hunting gun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IBFM...

Funny enough, I have one on my duck hunting gun...

...unfortunately for the OP, it's the plain barrel version, so I can't measure.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:05 am 
Field Grade

Measurement from top of barrel to center of dot?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The one that sits on the Remington base is taller than the one that sits on a plain barrel. You are asking about the latter, I have the former.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

Brownells states that the Big Dot is 4mm (0.161") in diameter. The picture is canted and so the measurements by pixels are skewed, but approximately, 109 pixels diameter Big Dot / 183 pixels height above plain barrel = 4mm diameter Big Dot / X mm height above plain barrel = 0.161" diameter Big Dot / Y " height above plain barrel. X = ~ 6.72mm = Y = ~ 0.271" height above plain barrel. Since Big Dot = 4mm diameter, the center tritium vial is 2mm within the white ring, in other words, the tritium vial is ~6.72mm - 2mm = ~4.72mm above plain barrel = ~0.271" - 0.081" = ~0.190" above plain barrel.

:idea: Or you can just call XS for the height.... A gunsmith can solder any base that it needs, and you can touch it up with cold blue. The pics of your 590A1 are deleted, sir. You are asking for an 870 that you also have? What rear sight, if any, does it have? Good luck, alloy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 am 
Field Grade

Yes, for an M590a1. I will have to replace my front bead with the Remington bead to use it, not a big deal. No rear sight. Current sight measures .152 overall heigth, if your pixel math is close it should be a good improvement. The gun just shoots high, which I'm used to but a little visibility over the stock bead can't hurt.
Am calling XS today, was placing an order saturday from Brownell's and hoping to get lucky.....I think your about right tho, it's obviously taller.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 am 
Crown Grade

alloy wrote:
I will have to replace my front bead with the Remington bead to use it, not a big deal.

Maybe not. It's possible to chamfer the inside of the bigdot to make it fit over a Mossberg bead. As I recall, that is what M24 did when he installed the bigdot on his SBS.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 am 
Field Grade

That would be a bonus, thanks.
Any thoughts on Acraglas versus PC-7 epoxy anyone?
I have Acraglas Steel Bed but not the regular Acraglas. PC-7 I have also, and have used it to bed rifles as well, it's some wicked stuff. Leaning toward PC-7.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Okay, so re-reading the O_P, I am a complete moron. The thread title through me off. I could have measured, but now I am on the road. :(

Alloy, I've used JB Weld before, and several other have used "BlackMax" from Loctitie.

With proper surface prep, pretty much any metal to metal epoxy should do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:42 am 
Field Grade

No biggie, it's not an emergency and I thought you were givin me the business Eddie Haskell style. :mrgreen:

Still not sure bout all the duck gun references tho!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:52 am 
Field Grade

That looks like a good front sight. I've been wanting to change my R870 front sight for the longest time but still haven't determined which one to use since I have the PEDESTAL front sight. Would the XS fit on the pedestal? What is the point of a pedestal front sight anyways? Does anybody know? What is the proper sight picture for a pedestal front sight? I like the common bead better...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, I used that sight on a Mossberg bead. I chamfered the hole on the bottom of the sight with a small Dremel grinding cone. I then outlined the base of the sight on the barrel, and scratched up that area and the OEM bead. Blasted it with some Gun Scrubber/brake cleaner and waited for it to dry. Then I used a small amount of JB Weld (much cheaper and able to make small batches than AccraGlass) on the bottom of the sight and pressed it down on the OEM bead. I scraped the excess epoxy that came out with a plastic scraper. I then held it in place with a clamp until it cured.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:56 pm 
Field Grade

Nice piece! That looks as if it's exactly what I'm needing to bring my POI down and get some better visibility all around.
Called XS, .30" in heigth, .188" width at the dot was the measurements he had.
So if I'm following here....the tritium vial that runs thru it would have to sit above the stock bead, that's a considerable heigth difference, sounds perfect.
I would say mine patterns 13-15 inches too high at 25 yards.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

bic wrote:
... I have the PEDESTAL front sight. Would the XS fit on the pedestal?...
"Remington Pedestal model with stepped bottom fits Remington shotgun barrels with front sight pedestal." Remington XS Big Dot Tritium Front Sight, Remington pedestal model epoxies over #6 bead, SG-2001-3, $60. Do you have a rear sight, bic?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:52 pm 
Utility Grade

I put an XS Big Dot on my Mossberg 590 over the stock bead. Rather than widen the hole on the bottom of the sight, I removed the stock bead and used my dremel to round off the hex edges of the stock bead until it fit in the hole on the Big Dot, then remounted the bead, scratched up the mounting area, hit it with brake cleaner, and mixed up some JB Weld. I tried to clamp it with a plastic hand clamp, but after the hand clamp slipped and sent the sight flying across my garage, I ended up using a vice (padded) to hold it all together until it cured. Oh, and I removed the barrel first to make the whole thing easy to handle and clamp. So, much the same as m24shooter, except I cut down the base of the bead a bit rather than enlarge the hole on the bottom of the sight.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Image[/quote]

I can't help but think that if your light sticks out past your barrel, you might as well have another inch or two of barrel.

"There is no maxim, in my opinion, which is more liable to be misapplied, and which, therefore, more needs elucidation, than the interest of the majority is the political standard of right and wrong." ~ James Madison

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They don't make that length barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ezra Smack wrote:

I can't help but think that if your light sticks out past your barrel, you might as well have another inch or two of barrel.

For what purpose?
I'm not going to gain any velocity or a change in pattern.
Mossberg doesn't make a 15" barrel.
My choices were 14" cylinder plain or 16" breacher. I have a lot more use for a 14" plain than a breacher.
Although the bezel sits 1" past the muzzle, I think I made up for that in OAL by using the Hogue ShortShot, which took 2" off the OAL by shortening the LOP.
With the lamp even or in front of the muzzle, I have absolutely no shadow from the barrel.
My intention is to take that two cell lamp module and place it on an 18.5" A1 with a SureFire weaponlight and use a single cell lamp module on the SBS at some point. Until then, I have absolutely no problem with it projecting 1" past the muzzle and whatever downside there may be with it is more than outweighed by the positives that the SF weaponlight brings. Even if I keep the standard lamp module on there, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. It puts out a lot of light.

http://www.weaponevolution.com