CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rossi single shot 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi everyone. I 'm a new guy on here and have been looking to purchase my first firearm for about 6-7 months now. I've searched different websites looking for a good beginner gun that would also supplement as a HD gun. Going back and forth between handguns and shotguns i'm finally set on a shotgun. I happened to run across Rossi shotguns the other day and they seem to be good quality at a low price. But if I do go through with the purchase of a firearm (which is a big consideration for me), would choosing one of these really be the right choice for what i'm after as a beginner and as someone searching for a good home defense gun? I like the idea of a single shot,seeing it to be an easy and safe way to learn some of the basics. As you can imagine as a beginner some of the options and models can look a bit intimidating to someone who has never really operated or owned one. Also, is their good HD ammuntion for this type of shotgun that isn't going to deystroy my shoulder while learning to shoot it?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Rossi single shot 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Rossi makes good shotguns, and a single shot would be a good one to learn on, but it isn't really a good choice to double as a HD gun. It takes a lot of practice and skill to be able to run and reload a single shot fast and efficiently especially under stress.

My recommendation for a good, affordable pump shotgun would be a Maverick 88 Security. It's pretty much a Mossberg on the cheap ($189 locally), but it has one heck of a good reputation. My cousin has one with a longer barrel that he shoots trap with and that I've run. Never an issue with thousands of rounds through it. You should be able to find them for $200 or less, and a pump is head and shoulders above a single shot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:10 pm 
Field Grade

If I was going to buy a single shot, I'd skip the Rossi and buy an H&R. Nothing wrong with the Rossi guns, but the H&R's seem to be better made, and are roughly the same price.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

As far as use under stress is concerned, the less user-firearm interaction that the gun requires, the easier it will be for a beginner to use it effectively. A single shot, that has to be reloaded every shot, requires the most user-firearm interaction of any gun out there. While that's excellent for learning how to use a gun, it's horrible for use under stress. A cheap pump will be way easier to learn to run efficiently.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:49 pm 
Field Grade

I second the Mav88 for inexpensive, effective first shotgun. It's what I have though by no means my first, I could pass on the price. Paid $178 for mine. I took the long barrel off and put an 18.5" security barrel on it. Now I have 2 shotguns,.. one for HD and one for whatever else.

"Somethings are true, whether you believe them or not." ~ Seth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I keep a single shot loaded w buck for HD. No magazine spring fatigue. I figure current danger would be a doper wanting something to hock, not the "red hoards." This is a choice...I have an unloaded 1100 as an option. If I can't get him w one shot, I'll beat him to death w the empty gun.

Got my grandson a Rossi. Nothing at all wrong w it.

Congrats on your decision to get a shotgun instead of a pistol. Good choice! A pistol takes lots and lots of practice to get good and even more to stay good.

hD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Must be a relief to know how your gunfight is going to play out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:09 am 
Tournament Grade

lancimouspitt wrote:
Hi everyone. I 'm a new guy on here and have been looking to purchase my first firearm for about 6-7 months now. I've searched different websites looking for a good beginner gun that would also supplement as a HD gun. Going back and forth between handguns and shotguns i'm finally set on a shotgun. I happened to run across Rossi shotguns the other day and they seem to be good quality at a low price. But if I do go through with the purchase of a firearm (which is a big consideration for me), would choosing one of these really be the right choice for what i'm after as a beginner and as someone searching for a good home defense gun? I like the idea of a single shot,seeing it to be an easy and safe way to learn some of the basics. As you can imagine as a beginner some of the options and models can look a bit intimidating to someone who has never really operated or owned one. Also, is their good HD ammuntion for this type of shotgun that isn't going to deystroy my shoulder while learning to shoot it?
Thanks in advance

Lancipitt,

It sounds like you don't have much experience with firearms. Maybe none? Before you plunge into the depths of home defense it might be a good idea for you to buy a gun to learn with, like a .22lr, so you can get some experience handling guns safely and have a little fun before you jump right to the serious business.

If you do decide to buy a shotgun right away, I think that your concerns for your shoulder would make it a good idea to buy a pump action 12 gauge over the single shot 20. A single shot 20 gauge is extremely light and your shoulder will pretty much be taking the full force of the recoil. A pump action is heavier and should absorb more of the energy. Plus you can buy birdshot or low recoil buck shot in 12 gauge almost anywhere.

Ultimately, there are many better, and still reasonably priced, options than a single shot. Good luck and welcome to the basement