CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester XPERT Hi-Velocity steel shotshells
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been using Winchester XPERT Hi-Velocity steel shot this season with good success. The areas that I typically duck hunt are fresh water swamps and marshes and require chest waders. It's not unusual to get my shells wet. After the hunt I always clean my gear, ammo included. My shells are wiped down, dried if wet, and turned crimp down to allow any remaining moisture to dry. I have begun to notice blackish, slightly rusty looking water draining out of some of these shells. A quick examination showed that the crimps on the Hi-V shells leave a hole in the center which can allow water to enter. As a quick fix I took all of my NIB shells and added a spot of silicone sealant to seal the hole in the crimp. The shells that I have previously used have been set aside until I can assure myself that the steel hasn't rusted. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

Post subject: Re: Winchester XPERT Hi-Velocity steel shotshells
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

Is the powder wet? It there is water in the shot cup, there is most likely water in the powder.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:54 pm 

I make a habbit of keeping my shells as dry as possible. Steel shot can rust and clump together which can be bad for your gun. It can also get into the powder but, takes more to have that happen. If I get shells wet I'll leave them out to dry and then use them right away.

You can always put your shells in a zip lock bag to keep them dry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

The XPERT shell differs from the DryLok in its weatherproofness in that IT IS NOT sealed as well as the DryLok. I would not shoot shells that had signs of rust running from them. Steel pellets can bond together into a solid projectile from rust and I have seen barrels damaged, most likely from this effect.

XPERT shells are not intended to be moisture proof so I would certainly keep them dry. That is one reason I don't use them, personally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the feedback. I typically follow the majority of the ideas put forward in an effort to be as safe as possible. Since posting I contacted Winchester and was informed that DryLock was the only waterproof line of shells which Winchester produces. I have used XPERTS for years with no ill effects but their crimps appeared to be more secure. I will continue to add the silicone to the Hi-V's as an added precaution for keeping the steel shot dry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:19 pm 
Global Moderator

They have to cut corners some where to sell them that cheap. If rusty water came out of any of the shells I would dispose of them, a steel slug can cause some major damage trying to leave a barrel.

I've used them and have several boxes still to shoot. The only fault I have with them is the powder leaves a lot of residue otherwise the dead ducks and geese don't seem to notice the difference.

~~There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness~~

"Women and Cats will do as they please and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."--Robert A. Heinlein--

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

Do you use a shell belt? Snaps to your waders, and unless you're going in over your chest, your shells should stay dry. Even if it rains, the little opening on those Xperts will be facing down.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Avery174 ... ell+holder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 pm 

I really liked the Drylocks when they had the high velocity shells at 1,550fps. We bought several cases but, they have been used up long ago. My buddies and I used them well before the Xpert 1,550 fps loads were out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:37 pm 
Diamond Grade

If I am going to be in deep water, I will wear an upland style vest . Put it on before the waders. That way the shells are kept inside the waders and dry. Not as convienent as in the pocket of the wading jacket, but the shells stay dry.

Even the "wet proof" shells can be ruined.

The worst scenerio I see is with a pump gun, powder gets wet. Primer goes pop. That is enough force to start the charge down the bbl. THe wad will be lodged in the bbl. If the shooter doesn't realize what happend, cycles a new load and slaps the trigger. Good chances of someone getting hurt when the bbl ruptures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I still use a shell belt but wear it under my waders. I put a few shells at a time into my vest pocket. Not as convenient but much better than drowning shells.