CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: #7.5 or #8? I don't know!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm new to buying shotgun ammo, and was wondering if someone would explain to me what the difference is between "#7.5" and "#8" Target Load shells. I've looked all over the internet and I read something that lead me to believe that it was the amout of pellets inside the shell (or something like that), but that still doesnt help that much, considering I don't know what the amout of pellets have to do with the way the shell fires. I appreciate the help.

Post subject: Re: #7.5 or #8? I don't know!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It refers to the size of the shot....the magic number is 17. A size #6 shot is .110".....#5 is .120".....#8 is .090......# 7.5 is .095....#1 is .160.......a .170 pellet would be a "B" shot and .180 would be "BB".............lots more #8s in an ounce than #4s....but much smaller and with much less energy at a given speed.....get yourself a lyman shotshell handbook to continue the experience of learning about this great hobby of ours.....

#7.5 shot in your target ammo will have a bit more energy per pellet for breaking targets a bit farther off whereas the slightly greater number of #8s fill up the pattern a bit more.... generally folks use #9s for Skeet but #8s work okay.....Lots of folks use #7.5s for trap especially for handicap (longer) distances....although #8s work fine for 16yard targets.....all of the target ranges I have been to limit shotsize to #7.5 being the largest allowed.........Art

Last edited by lizardbreath on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:08 pm 
Limited Edition

New 2: #7-1/2 shot will have about 350 pellets per ounce. #8 will have about 410. So #8 is a little smaller than #7-1/2. So in theory, the smaller #8 pellets will throw a little denser shot pattern and therefore leave fewer "holes" for a clay pigeon (for example) to escape through. But because #8 is smaller, each pellet has less impact energy, especially as it gets farther away from the gun. So at 40 yards, #8 might be running out of enough energy to break the clay, while #7-1/2 might still have enough energy. Or at that distance it might take 5 smaller pellets to break a clay but only three larger pellets to do the same. So it's a trade-off, just like almost everything in shotgunning. Smaller pellets give you a denser pattern and are great for shorter shots. Larger pellets give you more impact energy and longer range. For trapshooting, most folks use 7-1/2 or 8. For skeet, which is closer range, #8-1/2 or 9 is common. But I know alot of people who use 7-1/2 for all clay games. Accuracy will matter more than shot size.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Woah, thank you! That was spot on what I needed.

If I have it right, basically...Theh higher the # the more likely to hit because of the spread of the shot, but with less force (and range) than a lower #, which will have higher force, but requires more accuracy. Makes sense.

So I would imagine a #4, for example, would have a much harder recoil than a #8?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

the size of the individual pellet has no bearing on recoil.....total ejecta weight, speed, weight of the gun (effects felt recoil not total [free] recoil)....are the factors involved....Art

Last edited by lizardbreath on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shells with #4 shot in them very often do have greater recoil....but it is due to the shells being most often much higher velocity and often heavier payload shells designed for hunting.....actually #4s are on the large size and would most likely be used for late season pheasants or other large heavily feathered birds.....Art

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Right on. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome!

For more on choosing shells:

"The Remington Guide to Shotguns" here:
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and ... loads.aspx

The Wikipedia article is good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:00 pm 
Limited Edition

New2: Check out the Shotgun World home page. On the left side, click on Info/How to, then Shotshell Info. Lots of good info on pellet count, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:19 am 
Diamond Grade

New 2 Shotguns wrote:
Woah, thank you! That was spot on what I needed.

If I have it right, basically...Theh higher the # the more likely to hit because of the spread of the shot, but with less force (and range) than a lower #, which will have higher force, but requires more accuracy. Makes sense.

So I would imagine a #4, for example, would have a much harder recoil than a #8?

the choke controls how wide the pattern spreads, not shot size.

larger shot will carry more energy farther than smaller ones will.

for most clay target shooting either one will probably work fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 pm 
Crown Grade

# 8 shot is mainly what many of us use,and you get plenty of shot per shell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Any club or comerical field I've ever been to limits shot size to 7 1/2 or smaller.....some would only allow #4s on a pattern board.....most wouldn't even allow it there....#4s are inapropreate for clay targets......Art