CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Savage Arms Springfield model 67
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 pm 
Field Grade

So I just inherited the above mentioned shotgun from my father and although it is a budget 12ga it's free and it will become my HD gun until I can afford a Saiga. My question is, will I be able to locate a mag extension for a model 67? Even a pistol grip stock, or am I going to have to make my own? I already plan on loping off the barrel to 18in and staining the stock and fore end a very dark color.
Are there any improvements for this gun or is it destined to remain stock?

Post subject: Re: Savage Arms Springfield model 67
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:04 am 
Crown Grade

I think my dad has that same gun.
As I recall, it uses a Mossberg style barrel lug, which makes it impossable to add a magazine extension.
There aren't any aftermarket stocks avalable, but quite frankly, the original stock will work just fine.
Don't stain the wood black. Then you have all the disadvantages of wood, with none of the charm.

There basically isn't an aftermarket for that gun, but then there really isn't any need for one.
Cut the barrel to 18.5", add a simple light mount and sling, and call it good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You said:
Quote:
it will become my HD gun until I can afford a Saiga.

As I understand it, you can not leave a Saiga fully loaded for a long period of time. Compression in the magazine will cause the rounds to become slightly oval shaped over time and preclude feeding and chambering.

Prior to capitalism, the only way people could amasse great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to amass great wealth by serving and pleasing your fellow man.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:11 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Tempest, I should rephrase that. I'm not staining it black per say, it would either be one or two coats of ebony, or many of dark walnut, just to be different. My plan was to cut it down to 18in and like you said add a light mount and a sling. I'm going to a big gun show in wspfld Ma. tomorrow and I'm hoping to find a nice used Winchester 1300 defender to play around with.
Thanks for the info Ezra, I didn't know that {hs#

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:22 pm 
Field Grade

BTW, the reason I asked and didn't look for myself is because the model 67 has been in pieces in my fathers shop since I was a kid. I don't think I've ever seen it assembled. Thanks again for the input guys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Good luck on finding the 1300, so that you'll have two good project shotguns, and welcome to the Basement, STREET SWEEPER.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:58 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you, There was nothing at the gun show. Not a single good deal, the only decent deal they had was a Bennelli pump for $399

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:13 pm 
Utility Grade

STREET SWEEPER wrote:
So I just inherited the above mentioned shotgun from my father and although it is a budget 12ga it's free and it will become my HD gun until I can afford a Saiga. My question is, will I be able to locate a mag extension for a model 67? Even a pistol grip stock, or am I going to have to make my own? I already plan on loping off the barrel to 18in and staining the stock and fore end a very dark color.
Are there any improvements for this gun or is it destined to remain stock?

Some of the "retro" addicts at ARFCOM are converting Savage 67 and 77's to look like Vietnam era Savage miltary shotguns.

You night get some ideas from this thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=392628

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Of course, with a stamp for a short barreled shotgun, you could make this:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

Zeke, thank you for that link! lots of great info... however, I can't join the forum because it won't accept gmail as an email client??? Not sure what to do.

Tempest, no need for a stamp that's a savage model 69rxl. It's an old riot gun. I'm actually combing through the numrich catalog to purchase the 69rxl barrel and mag tube and hopefully make a model 67F RXL hahaha and I believe they share the same receiver so there shouldn't be any issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Hey all,

I'm new here, obviously. I got here by googling for Springfield 67 magazine extension ideas.

I have two series C 12 gauges. They have (what I call) the magazine tube lug attached to the bbl. My first task will be to remove this lug. Does anyone know how the lug is attached? Silver soldered? Brazed?

Street Sweeper,

I like your idea of using the 69RXL tube. Have you tried it?

Best regards,

d'Heat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:16 pm 
Field Grade

I was going to but it's not worth swapping barrels without the proper tools. I don't have a barrel vice or the alignment tools, so I'm making a Vietnam era/replica shotgun. I ordered the shortened Vietnam era stock, the only exception is I cut the barrel to 18" instead of 20". It's primary function will be a HD gun.
There's a lot of good info here for the retro Vietnam shotgun project. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=392628
I have pics up on page 18, my username over there is SAVAGE12G.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

This is a work in progress but we cut the barrel down to 18.5 and welded to mag tubes together to extend it. Heat shield goes on next and I have not decided on sights.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 pm 
Utility Grade

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:53 pm 
Field Grade

rrhodes, What model is that? More info on that mag tube please, pics if you got'em. Looks awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:46 pm 
Utility Grade

It's a model 67... Didn't take pics during which I should have. But we took the original tube and an extra one from another shotgun.. Welded them together and then ran a boring bar up the inside on the lathe to knock off any extra metal left by the TIG.

The front mount knocked right off using a torch.. Propane wouldn't do it so we had to break out the real gas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:16 pm 
Field Grade

Did you just braze it back on? How much did you have to trim off the second tube, and what did you use for a spring? It looks awesome! Very nice work. Could you post some close ups of where you re-attached the lug too? I apologize for all the requests...
Would you mind if I share your photos over at ARFCOM in the retro shotgun thread?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I will try to get some better pics. We simply welded the lug back on and we tig welded 2 springs together. She hold 7 rounds in the tube now. Feel free to share the pics. The gun is getting a new paint job now at an airbrush artists.. I will get pics when I get it back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:08 pm 
Utility Grade

rrhodes,

when you removed the lug, did it come off cleanly or was there clean-up? If the latter, what?

Thanks,

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:20 am 
Field Grade

I have been looking at a Springfield 67. Wish I had the skill to polish it up the way you have there.
Still waiting on purchase till after taxes. Now definitely want!!! rrhodes you are gonna bankrupt me.