CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Middle finger is getting smacked
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a problem with my middle finger on my shooting hand getting smacked by the trigger guard on my shotguns. It doesn't seem to matter if it's my SxS, O/U or my Benelli auto. I have relatively small hands and figure that is probably creating the problem. Has anyone with the same problem tried the trigger guard bumpers that are sold? I see they come in both a spring loaded model and a set-screw model. Any preference?

Post subject: Re: Middle finger is getting smacked
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:44 am 
Diamond Grade

d

Last edited by chucka on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:15 am 
Crown Grade

Chucka is right - it's your grip. I don't even get tot he first crease but use the fingertip pad on the triggers. Also, you are probably holding the wrist too far forward - slide your right hand back a bit.

I've had this happen when I shot DT with a PG which is why I don't like PG.

Never tried the little bumper, but apparently they work.

I would try to modify my hand position first, tho.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:49 am 
Tournament Grade

Tough to be thinking about hand position when a rooster flushes wild at your feet. :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:55 am 
Presentation Grade

dakotazeb wrote:
Tough to be thinking about hand position when a rooster flushes wild at your feet. :D

A very true statement and that is why practicing your mount with correct hand and finger positions is important.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:09 am 
Diamond Grade

d

Last edited by chucka on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

Yep, practice, practice, practice...you shouldn't be thinking about those things in the field.

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:27 am 
Presentation Grade

I have experienced this same thing with only two guns, the first is a Win 24 sxs 16ga, it is a pistol grip, it is occasional occurrence, and I don't shoot it much anymore, not enough where it is a problem.

The other was a single shot NEF 12ga 3.5" turkey gun that weighs all of about 4 pounds and the stock and fit atrocious. Not sure if it is grip or the massive recoil, but dang near broke a finger using in on turkey, went back to 10ga's both with double triggers, never a problem. (They both have pistol grip)

Never tried the bumpers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:49 am 
Crown Grade

IF you shoot with the thumb wrapped over the top of the grip, try bringing it back to the top at a comfortable angle. Then bring the hand down on the side of the grip, instead of letting the base of the thumb get on top of the grip. Put just a bit more pressure into the grip with the second and third fingers. We get hit as you describe when the grip slides through the hand. Setting up the grip to keep the hand in place on the stock should eliminate the bump.
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:58 am 
Tournament Grade

It could also be to short of stock which leads you to wrapping your hand to far up around the grip. I have an AyA that was too short and smacked the heck out of my hand. Once I lengthened the stock it cured it. You could tape a little cardboard to the but in various thickness just to check if it helps.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

+1 to wkburns

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:22 pm 
Limited Edition

I know someone that bought the spring loaded bumper and promptly lost it, bought another and lost that one, too. I'll have to tell him that they are now available in a set screw model, he'll probably be all over one as sometimes he comes away from a round a clays a bloody mess.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Get the set screw bumper. Much better!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:57 pm 
Crown Grade

If you can handle a free idea, tape a foam earplug to the triggerguard with electrical tape. You can hardly notice it and it works. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Might shooting gloves help?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

My brother used a S/S all the time, and It used to do the same thing, he had a lump on his finger hard as a rock, It never bothered me , funny.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Never had this problem until I used the 887 with 3 1/2" shells. First and farmost it is the recoil and grip combined. Bare handed without gloves I do not have a problem, with gloves which seem to be
rather slippery against the plastic(even though ribbed) grip. After a hunt my buddies within earshot of my shooting were laughing and asking me why I was cussing with every shot they heard. Season is closed for the split and I have not shot my gun in a week and my finger is still pretty sore.
I have long fingers and the space between the guard and finger is plenty. I put a soft foam on
the back of the guard with no luck. My finger is so sower even the soft stuff hurts like heck.
I found a soft plastic tube does the trick on the finger. I cut several in case I loose one, I fitted them on the finger from the middle knuckle to the base of the finger. You need to do a little whittling to make it comfortable when bending the finger. The tube I use is actually smaller than the ring size you need to put on that finger, I make a spiral split so the tube will wrap around the finger and I tape it to help it stay in place. Once the finger heals enough I may just use the Guard bumper.
I am also looking for some gloves that will grip better either wet or dry.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 am 
Presentation Grade

dakotazeb wrote:

After your middle finger gets smacked several times,you may, as suggested want to think about changing your hand position or get a trigger guard.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:58 am 
Crown Grade

wkburns wrote:
It could also be to short of stock which leads you to wrapping your hand to far up around the grip. I have an AyA that was too short and smacked the heck out of my hand. Once I lengthened the stock it cured it. You could tape a little cardboard to the but in various thickness just to check if it helps.

I agree also. I had a short stock gun that did the same thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:27 am 
Diamond Grade

It's very easy to say it's your grip - I have shot loads of guns and never suffered with the problem till I bought a Trap gun -- this kick's my middle finger and no matter how you hold it the second shot will always get you after first even if your hold on grip is further back - the gun will slip back to a "normal" hold position -- I have found it's the trigger guard on mine - there is a lot of gap between trigger and back of guard also it has a slim pistol grip which might also contribute to problem - The gun is a Valmet trap gun - quite an old gun not 412.

dave