CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mystery CVA 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:36 am 
Utility Grade

Good morning.

I was cleaning out a closet and ran across a shotgun that i had as a boy. I've looked on the internet and have yet to find any real information on it. It's a CVA single shot 12 gauge. The gun seams odd for a single shot because it has a top lever as opposed to a hammer. it will also fold completely in half. There is a groove in the forearm for the trigger guard to rest in. I'd guess it is 25 or so years old. It and a Marlin model 60 were Xmas gifts when I was 11. I hated the thing becasue it kicks like a mule due to it's light weight.

Here's what i can get off of the gun.

-It has a full choke 3" chamber 25" barrel
-The left side of the reciever it says Connecticut Valley Arms ' NC. below that FULL/CHOKE
-The right of the reciever says NORCROSS GEORGIA below that Made in Italy
-On the underside it has 3 stars stacked. Under the first looks like a coat of arms. Under the second is PSF Under the third is FINITU ( the last letter may be an "O" )
-the buttplate has a scene of what looks to be a female ( breast and ponytail ) Indian hunter holding a duck in one hand and a bow in the other. A dog stands deside her.

thanks for any information you can offer. I have no idea what it may be worth.

Post subject: Re: mystery CVA 12 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Almost certainly made by Sile in Italy. Pictures would confirm that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Is yours like this folder ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Looks very similar......

the wood is much darker. The checkering on the stock and forearm are different. and The photo looks like a vent rib barrel. Mine has no vent rib.

Overall I'd say yes though.....maybe a different year model of a different model of the same gun.

What's the deal with it? Are there a billion of them out there or is it an uncommon find? And why has it been so hard to find info on it?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

georgiaboy71 wrote:
Are there a billion of them out there
Yes. Beretta made them for many years, then later several other makers made cheap copies of the Beretta design. If yours has a top lever, it is a copy.

georgiaboy71 wrote:
And why has it been so hard to find info on it?
Here ya go! viewtopic.php?p=831702#831702

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

While your example has an internal hammer/striker with top opening lever, The others had different systems.

The Beretta, and it's clones from Galef, garcia, etc - were also "hammerless", but the opening lever looked like an extra trigger, just ahead of the trigger guard.

The Bernardelli "hammerless" folder was actuated by a sliding trigger guard.

The Spanish copies were often double-barreled with exposed hammers & top opening levers.

Folder stew, as it were.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:36 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the info. I'll have no problem letting the "mule kicker" go now.....as stated I despised this gun as a kid. It served me well not doubt. I took many a squirrel, two turkeys, and two deer with it. Once I "grew up" enough and recieved an 1187 I quickly forgot about this nasty shoulder bruiser. Which Is why it was sitting in my old closet in my folks house........Mom made me get it out of her house at Thanksgiving.

Thanks again for your help and safe shooting.