CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 50665 or 50668
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:39 pm 
Field Grade

Hey everyone. I've done many searches in the forum, but wanted to post this inquiry directly.

Mossberg 590 models 50665 & 50668
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&section=products

One comes with heat shield and bead sight. The other comes with ghost ring sights and no heat shield. Other than that, it's the same gun.

Could someone please give me some pros and cons on deciding which model to buy. IMO, I believe the heat shield is there for looks. (And it does look nice!) I never shot with ghost rings, but might regret not getting them sometime down the road. From what I understand, the heatshield and ghost rings cannot be used together. Correct?

I'm just looking for everyones opinion, experienced or not. Thanks!!

- Luke 11:21

Post subject: Re: Mossberg 50665 or 50668
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

The heat shield is just for looks, kind of like a rear spoiler on a street legal car. For close in home defense ghost ring sights are also no better than a simple front bead. Of the two I would go with the model with the GRS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The spoiler on my Firebird was very functional. With the t-tops off at over 100mph the back end would get light. After I put the spoiler on it stayed very stable at speeds well over that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For a lot of people, the heatshield is useless, or cosmetic only.
For some, it is quite functional. If you are going to be shooting the shotgun a lot in a string it can be helpful. Otherwise it is going to be extra weight.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:34 am 
Field Grade

I have both the Mossberg factory ghost ring sights (the front sight has been updated with an XS Sights Tritium standard dot) and a Mossberg factory heatshield on my 500a. The heat shield helps me not burn my hand when I practise "short-sticking" my shotgun. The ghost ring sights just seem to align naturally for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What's "short sticking" in the context of a shotgun?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:58 am 
Field Grade

"Short sticking" refers to a technique which reduces the distance the muzzle of the shotgun is extended from your body. Basically, the stock of the shotgun is pulled over your firing arm, resting on top of your shoulder. The ejection port is facing up towards the sky. My non-firing hand is griping the shotgun so that my thumb is over the top of the barrel. This technique helps reduce the distance the shotgun is extended away from you to about the same distance as you would have a pistol or revolver extended away from your body. It is surprisingly controllable when using the "push-pull" technique of pulling the stock toward you, and pushing forward on the fore-arm. Of course my barrel has been ported, choked and backbored by Vang Comp, so this may have something to do with the controllability of my shotgun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That sounds awkward as hell.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+1 on "Short sticking" seeming awkward. To the OP, I personally do not care for heatsheilds but that is only because I have no use for them. If you can see yourself firing the gun fast enough to get the barrel hot and then find a reason to grab the hot barrel then a heat shield may be a good choice. They seem like un needed weight and it would be a pain to clean under the shield when needed but my opinion may differ from yours. I personally just choose to avoid grabbing the barrel unless I'm cleaning the gun after an outing. There are plenty of cooler/safer places to grab a hot shotgun then by the barrel, with or without a heatshield installed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

sjohnny:
Point well taken regarding the spoiler. I should have added the phrase "at street legal speeds". At the speeds you reference for a street legal car, a spoiler would certainly help as it also would on a race car at speeds typical at a race track.

In that same vein, a heat shield on a SG might prove helpful if you were firing it continuously to the point where the barrel became hot to the touch and you needed to grasp the barrel for some reason.

Having said that, regardless of its usefulness, if you like the look it adds to the SG then install one or get a SG that has one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:15 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies everyone! As of now, I'm going to go with the 50668 w/ the GRS. Apparently a heat shield is only around $30. I do recall a post that provides instructions for adding a HS to a 590 w/ GRS. THX again.

- Luke 11:21