CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NTC 122 Wads
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

I've aquired about 1100 NTC 122 wads unsplit. Don't have any reloading data for those wads, they are little bit longer than sam 1's. I understand they went out of business 12-15 yrs ago. Any data or recipies would help. Thanx

Post subject: Re: NTC 122 Wads
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All the data for those is with powders designed for shooting lead, like blue dot, etc, these wads were made before Alliant's STEEL powder. This wad then became the MEC wad, it was the same NTC wad, Mec acquired them, and then they were called MEC12 wads or MEC122 wads, but they were the same wad.
You can still get ahold of mec and they'll send you free loading data for the old mec wads, which is what they are,although all the data in it is with blue dot, 800X etc. No Alliant steel data.
I then heard that those same molds were acquired and those same molds are ,or were, used to make Ballistic Products Multi Metal wad, Ballistic Products used to have a disclaimer not to use the Mec wad with their Multi Metal wad data, but i always have, as it's basically the same wad. They just have to cover their backsides from lawsuits, you know how that ballgames played.
So if you have a Ballistic Products "status of steel" manual , you can use the 2 3/4" Multi Metal wad data with those wads,and there's Alliant STEEL powder data in there.
Or you could sell them to me :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:21 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Impressive, detailed info, UltraMag. That's the reason I scan this forum. Thanks...

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor in Rifle, Pi$tol, and Home Firearm Safety
NSSA Level I Instructor
NSSA Official Referee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:54 pm 
Id say that is about right on... my only thought on the matter is the likely hood of a different plastic resin mix and there would likely be some pressure variances... though likely not huge, Id still be tempted to run the load into Larry Nailon and get em tested since its only 35.00. Id make sure what ever loads you use are in the 9-10K psi range max until you get a better feel for them and probably running them over a choro would be a good inital test to see if they are "close enough" to the BPI stuff.

I know some people use them as direct swaps... and Id guess you would generically be okay if your loads werent max pressure to start with.

If I could run into a deal like that, Id pick em all up and do a little load developement and see what I could come up with, with the aid of a BP manual and Larry's test equipment.... since I havent dropped the cash on the straingauge unit for the home user... I oughta try and sucker my dad outta his and see if I can come up with something...

Best of luck and let us know what your results are.