CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hogue forend for a HS Mossberg 500?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, I have been looking for a Hogue overmold rubber forend for my 12 GA mossberg Home security model 5+1 shotgun. My gun has a factory one piece synthetic forend with the integral slide rails "pinned" to the forend. There is NO separate tube within the factory forend (all synthetic) and the rails appear to be a permanent part of the assembly.

So my question is .......Is it even possible to upgrade to a Hogue forend with this style of shotgun with the one piece forend/rail assembly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: Re: Hogue forend for a HS Mossberg 500?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can not upgrade your pinned forned with the hogue forend you want.

If your forend is pinned you have to get one of these. Mossberg Action Slide Tube Assembly 7-3/4" and one of these Mossberg Action Tube Nut 7-3/4". Place the Hogue forend on that and then assemble with your shotgun.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Or you can get the 6 1/2" action slide tube(usually cheaper, $28 at Havlin) http://www.havlinsales.com/model500.htm and the adapter nut from Hogue. http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?mai ... ts_id=4607

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies! Is there any reason not to go with the shorter tube and extension nut other than the fact that it sounds like I would have to do some grinding on the Hogue forend for the extension nut to fit properly. From an operation and reliability standpoint would one be better than the other? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would buy the proper length tube for the Hogue and not mess around with adapters.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

They say the adapter is very snug and that you may need to open the forearm up a bit in order for it to fit. You don't have to buy the forend tube from midway. You can try gunbroker or whatever other sites. The correct length tube would be the easiest route.

Last edited by ghost228 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks again for the very timely responses!
I am going to get the full length tube so that way i won't have to mess with the adapter and grinding the forend to make it fit. Thanks for all of the advice and guidance.

I think I am really going to like the rubberized grip on that hogue forend.
Do any of you have opinions on the Hogue overmolded Vs. Hard Plastic?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the Hogue forend on my 870 clone, which is also equipped with the Mesa Tactical LEO M4 stock w/Hogue pistol grip. I have the full Hogue short stock set on my Mossberg 500. I think the Hogue forend is the best you can put on your HD shotgun. I'm going to build my Wingmaster into an HD gun and intend to put the Hogue short stock on that as well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I liked it a lot on my 870 but I ended up selling the shotgun since I had two. I just ordered the 12" lop stock set from midway and can't wait to add it. The ribbed forend works great but the hogue is better imo. The grip on it is a lot better and I like the fact that it doesn't roll in much as the factory Mossberg ones. So the tips of your fingers aren't so close to the action when pumping.

It's also possible to drill a few holes in it to add a light rail. Like this one here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:33 pm 
Utility Grade

There's also a video posted on Youtube that describes removing the grip from the action slide assembly:

Mossberg 590 disassemble forearm correctly. removing plastic molding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEU8rYvToQs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:34 pm 
Field Grade

i was going to post the youtube forend removal vid but b52 pilot beat me to it. i used it to put a hogue forend on the existing tube and it works like a charm. pretty easy too and saved $.