CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lanber 2067 or Browning Cynergy 20 Ga.?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:32 pm 
Field Grade

Gentlemen,

I am hoping that some of you here in the Lanber forum can help me with my decision on which 20 Ga. to buy. I currently own a Beretta 686 Sporting (12 Ga./29.5"), Beretta 686 Trap Unsingle (12 Ga./34"), Winchester Super X-1 (12 Ga./two barrels: 32" Fixed Trap & 28" modified to accomodate Briley chokes), and a Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays(12 Ga./30".

I've been shooting Trap & Skeet on and off most of my 42 years on this earth but I've never actually done any hunting, so I've never owned a field gun. I've recently decided that I'd like to start upland hunting and I'm in the market for a 20 Ga. To finance this new purchase I will at some point be selling off my Citori since I really have never cared for it. I much prefer how my Berettas handle, so I would prefer to find something that is closer to the Beretta handling wise...unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy a new Beretta right now, but I noticed that CDNN has a great price on the Cynergy 20 Ga./28" and the Lanber 2067 looks fantastic for the price.

My issue isn't really the difference in cost or even quality of these two guns...what I'd like to know from you good Lanber owners is more about the handling characteristics of the Lanber. Are they more like a Bertta 686 or a Citori...or perhaps neither? I would shoulder the Lanber in person but the local shop that carries Lanber doesn't have the 2067 in stock. I haven't handled the Cynergy since nobody seems to have one locally either, but I understand it is more like a Beretta than the Citori. My decision is really going to come down to the handling characteristics of the Lanber versus the Cynergy. The Lanber of course has the cost benefit which would be nice...I could convince my wife to let me pick up a second for her.:) I appreciate any feedback that you might have.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Lanber 2067 or Browning Cynergy 20 Ga.?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:53 pm 
Limited Edition

With all of those presently owned firearms, do not know why it is necessary to buy something new, just to go and shoot a few little birdies. :?

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:06 pm 
Field Grade

Granpooba wrote:
With all of those presently owned firearms, do not know why it is necessary to buy something new, just to go and shoot a few little birdies. :?

Funny you should bring up the concept of "necessary". :D

My wife asked me the same question when I first decided I wanted a 20 Ga....hence the reason the Citori will be sold (eventually). :D

Just to clarify however, I don't deem most of my current guns suitable for field use. The Super X has family history, the Unsingle is too long, and the Citori is too heavy. The 686 Sporting would work but I'd rather have the 20 Ga. with a slightly shorter barrel. An added benefit is I could teach my wife to shoot with it as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:47 pm 
Limited Edition

In that case, I would take my time and check out a variety of manufacturers.

I purchased my Lanber 2097 for the sole purpose of shooting skeet / clays. Being retired, I just wanted to get out, socialize and do some shooting.

Some of the firearms I viewed before my purchase were Steven/Savage, CZ-USA, Ruger, Browning, Weatherby, etc. I did get to handle most of the models that I was looking at, but then I got to handle the Lanber 2097's, both in the Sporting model and the Sporting LUX model. Personally, I liked the way it pulled up, the balance of it, the top of the rib is grooved and for me, presented a very good sight picture.

The only difference in the models, was that the LUX version was supposed to have a better quality of wood and different engraving. I opted for the Sporting version because of the clay target engraving, as that is all that I intend to do with this firearm.

Can not really tell you much about the 2067 model or the Cynergy, but if you have settled on one of these, then I would just try and get to handle both. Luckily for me, one of the Lanber dealers I visited did have both models in stock, thus I got to view and handle both.

But when I made my purchase, it was made with CDNN in Texas and I saved over $300.00 from the best low prices that any Lanber dealer was offering me.

That is another option for you, check out CDNN and see what they are offering. You may be able to find something in the line that you are looking for and save yourself 100's of dollars. Everybody that I have chatted with and have purchased firearms from CDNN were very satisfied. Probably should not even saying this, but I also talked to the importer of Lanber and he suggested that I check out CDNN.

Sorry I can not help you in regards to the two models that you are considering. But I am sure that you will eventually make the right decision. :s

Good luck {hs# and enjoy ......... :D

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've had my Lanber compared to a Beretta before. They are great guns and through CDNN they are amazing for the price. The Cynergy is a great gun as well. I dont think you could be disappointed in either. If you get the 2067 I would really like to know more about it. Gonna be a tough choice.

Also, send me an email or PM about the Citori. I may be very interested

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:12 pm 
Field Grade

I've owned both a Lanber sporting model O/U and semi auto.......no disrespect to Lanber owners since this is their "House," but IMO there really is not comparison between Browning quality and Lanber quality. Lanbers are nice servicable guns, but the O/U I had was just not up to even moderate clays shooting.

Up until a couple months ago, I didn't own a Cynergy. I bought a 12 gauge Classic Field to take with me on a South Dakota pheasant hunt. I liked the 12 gauge so well, I gave the Citori I had been hunting for years with to one of my sons. I also bought another Cynergy Classic Field in 20 gauge........what a fantastic little sub-gauge O/U. If you were looking for a 20 gauge O/U, you could spend more money and do a LOT worse.

CDNN has the euro Cynergys......I never really warmed up to the look. Reed's (Northern Firearms) has the Satin Classic Field 20 for $1299.00, here's a link to their GB ad:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206933869

If you want the Cynergy, you better act fast as the "Cynergy Club" promotion ends 12-31-10. You get the 5yr warranty, $100 check from Browning, both hard and soft cases, a range bag and a hat.

Good luck on your decision.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Agreed hkg3k,
Both good guns but the Browning is far superior. The Cynergy Club promotion is a huge plus as well

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:04 am 
Limited Edition

hkg3k wrote:
I've owned both a Lanber sporting model O/U and semi auto.......no disrespect to Lanber owners since this is their "House," but IMO there really is not comparison between Browning quality and Lanber quality. Lanbers are nice servicable guns, but the O/U I had was just not up to even moderate clays shooting.

Up until a couple months ago, I didn't own a Cynergy. I bought a 12 gauge Classic Field to take with me on a South Dakota pheasant hunt. I liked the 12 gauge so well, I gave the Citori I had been hunting for years with to one of my sons. I also bought another Cynergy Classic Field in 20 gauge........what a fantastic little sub-gauge O/U. If you were looking for a 20 gauge O/U, you could spend more money and do a LOT worse.

CDNN has the euro Cynergys......I never really warmed up to the look. Reed's (Northern Firearms) has the Satin Classic Field 20 for $1299.00, here's a link to their GB ad:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206933869

If you want the Cynergy, you better act fast as the "Cynergy Club" promotion ends 12-31-10. You get the 5yr warranty, $100 check from Browning, both hard and soft cases, a range bag and a hat.

Good luck on your decision.

Not my words, but a posting that was taken from another Lanber page:

If it is a new gun no need to worry about it shooting loose. It
will take many, many thousands of rounds before that happens.
I have a model 2098 with 8,000 plus rounds through it with
no sign of wear.

Now, personally, sounds like they hold up to me !! And on another personal note, when I first received my 2097, I took it to my favorite gunsmith for lubrication, as I heard that most new guns were coming through very dry or with no lube at all, thus I wanted my lubricated.

When the firearm was returned to me I inquired as to its quality. My gunsmith stated that he liked very much what he saw on take down and assembly. All in all he compared to to other shotguns of the same quality/price range and to even higher quality firearms.

It has always been my upbringing that if you are in somebodies house, and you have nothing good to say, then you say nothing at all !! ^77

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:44 am 
Field Grade

Granpooba wrote:
It has always been my upbringing that if you are in somebodies house, and you have nothing good to say, then you say nothing at all !! ^77

And its my "upbringing" if someone ASKS for an honest opinion on a matter of which I have some knowledge.......I'll give an honest answer. Out of respect for the board on which I gave my honest answer, I said "Lanbers are nice servicable guns." And hey, there's plenty of O/U's out there that lose in comparison to the Lanbers.......Brownings just aren't one of them IMO. WRT the particular Lanber O/U sporting model I owned, I consider my comments.....well.....extremely generous.

Cotay wanted an opinion and I've lived with both. If his post was a request to rubberstamp choosing a Lanber O/U, I would've not responded. He did however ask, and based on my personal experience and his choices.......my advice would be to go with the Cynergy + Cynergy Club Promotion and not look back.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:44 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks all for your replies. I certainly didn't want to come in here and "stir" anything up...I just really wanted to understand the characteristics of the Lanber in comparison to a Beretta and obtain feedback from people who already know and trust the Lanber. My feeling was that I'd get a more honest response in this forum than others and I appreciate your willingness to be forthright. I like the looks of the Lanber on paper/picture...they are a very tempting gun and the only one I'd consider outside of a "B" gun. I have a special affinity for Spanish guns anyway...my first pistol was a Star Firestar.45...it has been a shame to see the Spanish firearms industry decimated over the past fifteen years.

hkg3k-Thank you for the link to gunbroker...I missed it last night but it looks like it relisted today. I can't decided if I like the "Euro" version or the "Classic" version better. I don't have an aversion to the looks of the Euro like some...and even quite like the looks. This keeps getting harder.:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Cotay as to your question on how they handle. I owned the Lanber, Citori, and 686. If I had to pick I would say the Lanber resembled the Citori in its receiver size and construction. The Lanber has a cast off stock for righties which aided me. My Lanber had a schnabel forearm which was slender and compared to my Beretta W/O. I'm a bit different from you in that I didn't care for my Berettas handling characteristics and actually found the Lanber to be better in that area ,but of course the Beretta was a better gun.For what your paying for the 2067,I say go for it. It may not be the better gun but it's much closer to the Cynergy than any other budget O/U. and should serve your hunting needs for life.Besides if it gets beat up or abused in the field are you really going to shed a tear at that price? Bottom line is I'd say the Lanber was between the two.It is chunky at the receiver and more slender toward the front.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

Browning 20ga any style kicks like a mule. Period. Most anything is better in that range, except Beretta.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:19 pm 
Field Grade

Does anybody know if the 2067 is built on a 12 Ga. frame or is it built on a 20 Ga. frame?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:22 am 
Limited Edition

Cotay wrote:
Does anybody know if the 2067 is built on a 12 Ga. frame or is it built on a 20 Ga. frame?

From what I have read and been told, but please do not hold me to this. All manufacturers build their firearm frames according to the gauge that they are producing.

As I requested, kindly do not hold me to this statement as I myself have read where some manufacturers state that certain models are manufactured on certain frames. Thus, I am only assuming that some lighter gauge guns are manufactured on heavier frames.

I can only assume that they are leaving it up to the consumer to figure it out ... :w

Sorry not to be of more help .......... {F*

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Both B-guns 20ga will kick like a mule. I own the Browning and have shot the Beretta many times. My 12ga Lanber with 20ga GuageMates installed is soft as a baby's behind. Truly. 28ga is even better!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:38 am 
Field Grade

DarkHorse wrote:
Both B-guns 20ga will kick like a mule. I own the Browning and have shot the Beretta many times. My 12ga Lanber with 20ga GuageMates installed is soft as a baby's behind. Truly. 28ga is even better!

There are several factors which determine the measured recoil of a firearm. The potency of the load being fired, the weight of the gun, etc. etc.

Felt recoil is far more subjective. How the stock fits the shooter, and the individual shooter's sensitivity to recoil become important factors. What 1 person might describe as "kicking like a mule," another may describe as "normal."

Having said that, I personally would not describe the way the 20 gauge Cynergy recoils as "kicking like a mule." In fact, I can't think of any 20 gauge O/U I own......to include a petite little 20 gauge Win 101 Quail Special......which kick more than any of my 12 gauge O/U field guns.

Even my Krieghoff Model 32 with 30" bbls which I shoot sporting clays with kicks more in comparison to my 20 gauge guns. And granted, it too kicks a lot less whith its 20 gauge bbl set installed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:59 am 
Field Grade

I've owned the 2067 here in Australia for nearly a year bought specifically for quail as was getting sick of carrying a 12g for 18 kilometers or so (sorry bout the metric system I'm using).
Handling: neither of that of a 12g Beretta or 12g Browning, the 20g guns have a handling of there own, in the case of the 2067, 3kg and lightning fast as well as great swing balance. As said I bought it for quail only but it ended up competing with a 12g Miroku I had (basically same handling as browning) to the point where I shot skeet and 5 stand better with it, I have now put it aside for quail and the odd sporting clays day as 20g ammo is a bit costly over here. The miroku got replaced with a 2097 and scores improved over that brand in my 12g areas by long and far.
The 2067 looks to be based on the hunting 12g (2088??) with the barrels being changed to 20g, hence the better lighter swing and slight drop in weight.
Reliability: no problem.
Recoil: dosnt exist in this gun.
Finnish: This is where it gets tricky as to you choice of browning etc, mine seemed to be an earlier one with some weird shiny lacquer. The recent ones seem to have a horrible easily scratched type of poly coating, get what you pay for I guess. I have refinished both my 2067 and 2097 in tru-oil and both look great, the 2067 has some pretty wood that shows up well in that type of finnish.
Resale value: In this country the Browning would win hands down, always something to consider unless the 2067 is cheaply priced to start with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:56 pm 
Field Grade

After much consideration I went ahead and chose the Lanber. The issue really came down to a current cost analysis and after I researched what used Citori's are really going for it makes more sense to keep it as a backup gun for when family rolls into town than to sell it off. It was a difficuly decision, made especially so by the Cynergy Club promotion, but in the end I deemed that for my purposes and for the price, the Lanber made sense. My wife was also willing to let me keep the Browning and buy the Lanber, so that was a pluas.:)

I ordered it from CDNN on Friday from Seth...nice guy. They won't be able to ship it out until next week due to the Christmas Holiday...but I'm eagerly awaiting the gun.

I appreciate all of the assistance of this forum and I am looking forward to actively participating here.

Feathered-Are there any places in Australia that sell the 20ga. chokes for the Lanber online? I found one place in the UK that sells the Imp. Cyl. (1/4) and Imp. Mod. (3/4) for about $35 US shipped. I will be calling Bachelders on Monday to find out if they stock the set, but if they don't I would like to find them internationally at least.

Thanks again to all who responded. This thread was a huge help!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:29 pm 
Field Grade

I'll get back to you on that one, mine came with 5 chokes from cylinder to full including the ones you mentioned, I'm assuming the guns in US do also? standard factory chokes work very well in this gun and well done on your choice, I took out a field and game style comp the other week with mine against other 20g and 12g guns so quite happy with mine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lotsa guys buy 4-barrel K-gun or whatever set but in these cases the frame is basically that of a 12ga. No comparison. Shoot a straight 20ga on a 20ga frame vs. a straight 12ga on a 12ga frame and then judge the difference. Also, are we talking about field guns?