CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Steel Waterfowl Choke?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi, just bought a new Browning Gold and it came with a steel mod choke. I have always used mod chokes but noticed not a lot of others use them. What would be the best choke to use in this gun while shooting steel (mainly the cheap Winchester X-pert) in 3 or 3 1/2 for layouts and flybys? Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Best Steel Waterfowl Choke?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:45 am 
Presentation Grade

I like a "Decoy" tube for close shots and the "Mid range" for pass shooting. The Decoy tube seems to be the new way of saying IC for steel shot and Mid Range seems to correlate to MOD for steel shot. I suppose this is because of the confusion when using the traditional labels (IC for lead performs like MOD with steel, and so on). I also like an extended tube - been using them since the early to mid 1980's - they are said to give a longer choke section which allows hard steel shot to constrict without bunching. My newest, a Benelli extended Decoy tube made by Trulock is labeled 'extra improved" and patterns 93% in a 30" circle at 25 yards with 70% above and 30% below the POA - perfect for swamp shooting over decoys. I did knock one down yesterday at 35 yards using that tube and #4 steel shot - had 8 pellets in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:47 am 
Field Grade

i shoot the kicks high flyer choke tubes,as alot of people do. for early season decoying geese i shoot 3in hevi metals in size BB with a modified high flyer. and for late season decoying geese i shoot #2 hevi metal out of a full high flyer. a lot of people shoot mod chokes at all kinds of waterfowl, mod is probly actually the most popular of all the sizes. you just have to look at shot size, how far the shots will be, and how your gun patterns the load at your intended range. some people shoot one tube all year round, i dont like that way of thinking because your gonna have strong points and week points with using one tube. if you have at least 2 in your bag of goodies then you can choose the best one for your hunt. how the birds are flying, range, etc. then you have all strong points and no weak ones this = more birds dead.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:55 am 
Diamond Grade

Try the tubes that came with your gun. I shoot a winchester X2 which is basically the same gun and have good results with the OEM tubes. The invectory+ tubes are pretty long so I don't know if going to an extended tube will help all that much. I personally think mod. is to tight for shooting decoying ducks. IC does the trick 90% of the time. For the other 10% of the season I bought a briley light mod and really like it.

I think there is a lot of marketing in chokes right now. Especially with a non-returnable product. Once you shoot it, its yours wheter it patterns good or not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All I shoot steel through is The Wad Wizard Supreme Choke Tube. Why? Because it works!
I went to this choke in early 2007, it continues to impress me with every shot size/combination on everything from common snipe to giant canadians.
Here is the link if you are so inclined.
http://www.wadwizard.com/wadwizardchokes.htm

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

I must be old school because I hardly understand the vocabulary being used here. :? I have been aware, for some time, that there were variables in choke borings that folks offerred but I have never heard of Decoying or Mid-Range chokes before. After looking at the Wad Wizard web site, why I came away feeling like all I had to do was screw one of dem chokes in my gun, shoot up in the air and it would begin raining geese! :shock:

Maybe I woke up from my nap on the wrong side or perhaps because I missed my oatmeal this morning but I have done fine over the last fifty or so years with plain old choke borings; Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Improved Cylinder, etc., a variety of shells and a pattern board. :wink: Perhaps an indication of how out-of-touch I really am, I still think screw in chokes and Polly Chokes are cooler than sliced bread! :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:35 pm 
Limited Edition

LCSMITH26 wrote:
I must be old school because I hardly understand the vocabulary being used here. :? I have been aware, for some time, that there were variables in choke borings that folks offerred but I have never heard of Decoying or Mid-Range chokes before. After looking at the Wad Wizard web site, why I came away feeling like all I had to do was screw one of dem chokes in my gun, shoot up in the air and it would begin raining geese! :shock:

Maybe I woke up from my nap on the wrong side or perhaps because I missed my oatmeal this morning but I have done fine over the last fifty or so years with plain old choke borings; Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Improved Cylinder, etc., a variety of shells and a pattern board. :wink: Perhaps an indication of how out-of-touch I really am, I still think screw in chokes and Polly Chokes are cooler than sliced bread! :oops:
Like you I use my OEM chokes in my two waterfowl guns. CYL, IMP CYL, & MOD do all I ever need shooting steel shot; I use Federal® Black Cloud™, Federal® Ultra-Shok®, and Kent® Fasteel™. The only after market chokes I have purchased are for turkey hunting.

12/25/2010 - I have to modify the above statement, I received a set of four Carlsons® Steel Shot choke tubes from the wife today, IMP CYL, MOD, IMP MOD, and FULL.

2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Given

Last edited by dawei on Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am old school as well men! In my waterfowl career I have went from shooting 2 - 3/4" federal duck and pheasant lead #6's for all of my duck hunting out of a 30 inch full choke 12 gauge, too.....Then came steel...cheap nasty stuff that sucked! I ruined the full choke barrel on that M12, switched to a 870 with a 28 inch modified choke and keep killing ducks and geese cussing cripples all along the way. Steel shot got better over the last couple of decades and I have better guns designed to handle it...screw in chokes and all. Mainly I hunted with a IC and M with great success but still cussing steel and cripples. Then I discovered the wad wizard I mentioned above on a goose hunt in Ontario. Being form Missouri they had to show me and the boys at Grey Bruce Outfitters certainly did. It is a cylinder bore screw in choke thats sole purpose is to put more pellets on target. If I can impact the bird with more pellets at a given moment in time then I have clean kills and far less cripples. No magic here just sound physics:) The Cylinder bore gives good even patterns with all shot sizes and the wad stopping function shortens the shot string. Same thing Federal has claimed to do with black cloud.
Actually with the wad wizard your shooting skills have to be on or you will miss, but if they are on.... ducks die dead. I now use mostly Kent 3" fasteel #4's for ducks and #2's for geese. My old shoulder cannot handle the 3.5 stuff... :wink:

I love liberal math. It's like fiction, but with numbers and stuff.
Fred G

"Progressivism"...new word - It's common but there's no sense in it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have always had to step up the choke in invector plus guns whether they be SX2, Gold or BPS's. Factory Mod shoots fine but isn't really a long range tube. Nice intermediate, all-around tube for me shooting 2's and BB's, mostly Federals and some Xperts. I actually really like factory Imp Mod for slightly longer range shooting.

The best thing to do first is to shoot some patterns with the tubes and loads you have before you buy anything else. Brown craft paper, cardboard boxes, newspaper if you have to. They all work. Borrow a few loads from your buddies if they shoot different shells. You might find a new combination that works in your gun of find that what you've got works just fine.

Sean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:45 am 
Diamond Grade

I shoot a 3.5" Browning Cynergy O/U. I went to Carlson Extended tubes in Lt Mod and Mod. I shoot mostly Winchester Xperts 3.5" 1.25 oz at 1625fps or the new Remington Hyper Sonic at 1700fps both in #2's. I have done well but I'm not sure the factory Inv + Mod choke did that much worse. I had good luck with it too. I have never had much success with Imp Cyl choke. Too many wounded birds..too thin of a pattern.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I've been using a Briley Compensated, Light Modified choke tube in my Winchester SX2 for about 4 years. I use the choke to hunt dove, quail, pheasant and duck. I use the stock full choke to hunt geese.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

A good starting place would be a quality extended modified choke. You might end up going with a light mod or imp mod, depending on what ranges your trying to tackle.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have clearly been seen, being understood from what has been made , so that men are without excuse. Romans 1:20
Design demands a designer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

1400fps loads- Briley LM.........1550fps loads Briley IM..........I have patterned both loads and chokes out of my Maxus. 1550fps with IM at 40 yards is the best pattern I have ever seen or shot. 122 #3's in 30' circle at 40 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I use a Browning light modified and a Carlson's modified in my SX2. Both are extended choke tubes and work very well. My next acquisition for this gun will be a Trulock improved modified.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

the best choke for me has always been the factory modified that came with the gun