CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: modified choke and steel shot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:12 pm 
HI, I have a Winchester 1300 12 guage that I would like to do a bit of duck hunting this year with, but it only has a modified winchoke. On Winchesters website they say all winchokes are compatable with steel but I just want to make sure. So could I shoot steel out of my setup?.Thanks.

Post subject: Re: modified choke and steel shot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Sure. But keep in mind that a Modified choke for lead is a Full choke for steel.

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:51 pm 
If you're shooting at close range and/or over decoys you may want to specd a few bucks and invest in an improved cylinder choke tube. I use skeet and improved cylinder in my O/U duck gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

No problem...modified is my favorite choke; especially with steel shot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Winchoke MOD you have will be fine with steel shot. As far as that MOD choke giving you a full choke pattern that will depend on several things. shot size used,velocity of the chosen ammo and brand of ammo. It is a common misconseption among people who don't shoot much steel shot(or none at all) and don't pattern there guns using steel shot, that a modified lead shot choke will produce full choke patterns with steel shot. :shock: The smaller sizes of steel shot will need more constriction to prodce a full choke pattern than the bigger steel shot sizes will. :wink:

Tim

Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ohio Waterfowler is exactly right.
#4 steel at around 1400 fps will most likely produce a modified pattern from the modified choke, #4 steel at 1700 fps will give you almost skeet patterns with the modified choke.
BB steel at around 1350-1400 will probably give you an IM pattern from the mod choke.These are all of course just averages of what one can expect, every gun is different and without patterning it with a particular load, you don't really know for sure what it'll do.
Just like the experience i had with my remmies this weekend, i didn't get anything like the above, all patterns were more open than expected.
I shot several loads out of my remington 11-87 and 870 with an internal mod, a Trulock extended Imp.Mod. and a Hastings full, and there wasn't a whole lot of difference between the trulock and the hastings,and they were only slightly tighter than the internal mod.All were too open for me at 40yds. I just ordered a sure cycle terror choke that measures .675" that's a constriction of .055"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:13 pm 
Refering to Ohio Wildfowlers comment I am using Winchester Xpert hi-velocity steel shot. 12 gauge, 3 inch, 1550 fps, 1 1/8 oz., 3 shot. :shock: Have you had any experience with this stuff, and if so what kind of patterns could I expect.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:43 am 
Presentation Grade

Guest, you gotta go shoot it at a big piece of paper. There are too many variables for anyone to be able to give you a meaningful answer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:52 am 
Crown Grade

I have a Browning choke that is labeled:

Lead - Improved Cylinder
Steel - Modified

Hmmm. Browning must not know what they are talking about.

Briley lists all of their chokes with Lead and Steel names. They list a Modified lead choke as a Full steel choke. They must not know anything either.

Unlike anyone else on the planet, these companies must shoot 1200 FPS steel loads.

There sure are a lot of hunters out there shooting Skeet patterns at ducks and geese. I wonder how they hit anything.....

Scott

-- Confucius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:34 am 
Limited Edition

I may be wrong but i beleive the whole deal with the lead full steel modified thing had something to do with the transition period to steel where hunters wanted some idea of how the steel shot would pattern with a given choke. its was just some reference to give the hunter an idea of what the pattern might compare to. i beleive another reason is to cover their a$$ against ring bulging when someone shoots T or F out of a full choke. Chokes have come a long way but browning still says that their full choke should not be used with steel.
Its not that they don't know anything, its just that the gun companies are still don't want to say it is safe to shoot steel shot out of a full choke, because in some cases it is not.

A FIB is what our cheesehead neighbors to the north refer to us Illinois residents as. FIB=Blankin Illinois Blanks !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

winders wrote:
I have a Browning choke that is labeled:
Lead - Improved Cylinder
Steel - Modified
Hmmm. Browning must not know what they are talking about.
Briley lists all of their chokes with Lead and Steel names. They list a Modified lead choke as a Full steel choke. They must not know anything either.

They are basically idiot (AOL) designations.
Large steel is vastly different than lead in it's constriction requirements.
I have a Hastings choke marked
MOD for T&F steel that's .725"
It's an idiotic way to designate chokes IMHO, just give me the constriction # and i'll figure out what i need.
I guess some of these companies figure folks aren't quite bright enough to do this on their own.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

That is a ploy by the big manuafacturers to help idiot proof there choke tubes :lol: and keep from having guns sent back with the internal chokes swelled into so bad you can't get them out ( choke creep) is the exact term.This is why using an extended choke tube is so important when it comes to getting true "FULL" patterns with big steel shot. I have a .675 and .655 extended chokes (Terror) that you can fire the biggest steel shot out of and not have to worry about getting your internal choke stuck in the barrel. I want to see someone shoot a .655 internal choke without getting it stuck in the barrel after a couple hundred rounds of big steel shot. This is my case in point about extended choke tubes moving most of the constriction outside of the barrel away from the barrel threads!! :shock:

I'm with UltraMag on this . Just give me a constriction and I determine what extended choke I need to get the desired patterns I want. :D

Take a kid hunting today and pass the tradition on to tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just got my first ever .675" terror choke from Jeff today for my 11-87SP and/or 870 magnum.
I was really itching to go try it with some of my 3" 1oz loads at 1760fps,and that Alliant 7/8oz 1700 fps number,but the thunderheads looked ominous, so here i am behind this monitor,
hopefully this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

The advice posted about choke variances with respect to steel pellet size and velocity is spot on by Ohio waterfowler and Ultramag.
Briley does know what they are talking about, specifically Chuck or Jeff and quite a few more there, they talk in generalities cos its easier to grasp for the majority of people. When a more involved discussion is warranted, more precise answers are available on web boards like this one, and thats a great thing.

Regards, Azam.