CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alliant E3 Powder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:53 pm 
Field Grade

I have been using Alliant E3 powder for over a year now with good results. I was adjusting my recipe the other day and noticed that Alliant only lists Rem 209P primers with E3 powder. I have been using CCI and Winchester primers because I can't find Rem primers in this area. Would the recipe be any different with CCI and Winchester primers as opposed to Rem for the E3 powder?

Post subject: Re: Alliant E3 Powder
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Alliant doesn't usually have issues with medium strength-to-medium strength primer subs using their 12ga data, but I would contact them before doing so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:33 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Benelli Shooter wrote:
I have been using Alliant E3 powder for over a year now with good results. I was adjusting my recipe the other day and noticed that Alliant only lists Rem 209P primers with E3 powder.

You might want to check again-- there are many recipes with W209 primers right on their website.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
You might want to check again-- there are many recipes with W209 primers right on their website.

I suspect that the Original Poster was looking for e3 loads in Remington hulls. As far as I can discover, there are no recipes with W209 primers listed for e3 powder in Remington plastic hulls. (Perhaps I'm not searching correctly.)

For testing shotshell loads, Alliant biases heavily their primer selection toward the manufacturers of the hulls being tested. In the case of e3, their data show only Rem primers for Rem hulls. For e3 with Federal and Winchester hulls, they have included a few other primer brands besides Fed and Win, but not many. For powders other than e3, the variety of primers tested usually increases.

For the OP's peace of mind, an email to Alliant should bring a rapid reply.

--Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:47 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I am reloading Remington Nitro and STS hulls. But I did notice in the E3 recipes that they specify Win 209 primers in WIN AA hulls. It seems to me these two primers could be swapped with no dangerous consequences.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

You never know. If you call or email Alliant with your load, you will get your answer. I have in the past and the response via email took a day or two at most.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:57 pm 
Field Grade

If you do contact Alliant, please let us know what they say. I have noticed the same thing on their Remington loads with E3, but I can buy Remington 209P primers locally for my GC/STS loads with E3 powder. They are at a premium to W209 primers though.

Bullseye_10x

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:53 am 
Tournament Grade

I have contacted them on those rem hull loads and they approved the primer I was usign which is ?Nobel Sport which are supposed to be very close to wins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Quote:
I have contacted them on those rem hull loads and they approved the primer I was usign which is ?Nobel Sport which are supposed to be very close to wins

:roll: Not on a good day.

Nothing wrong with Nobel Sports, but bad advice, I don't care who it came from.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:27 am 
Presentation Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
Quote:

:roll: Not on a good day.

Nothing wrong with Nobel Sports, but bad advice, I don't care who it came from.

LOL...your right ...nothing wrong with NobleSports. No insult intended.....but...I'll take Alliant's word over a dogchasers anyday :)

Mark

p.s. Alliant told me the same. NS=Win209 for our uses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Read the threads where folks are having some problems, when substituting Nobel Sports for Winchester 209's.

Then read this link.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/bargainprimer.htm

Alliant's position sounds a lot like Hodgdon's position, it is a SAFE substitution, it isn't an equal substitution.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 pm 

dogchaser37 wrote:
Read the threads where folks are having some problems, when substituting Nobel Sports for Winchester 209's.

Then read this link.

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/bargainprimer.htm

Alliant's position sounds a lot like Hodgdon's position, it is a SAFE substitution, it isn't an equal substitution.

In my opinion, you are correct on all counts. Especially in brisky weather :mrgreen:

God Bless America<<<< LINK worth clicking