CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mo.n.price 20 gauge shotgun? can't find anything on it.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:02 pm 
Utility Grade

i bought a 20 gauge shotgon and it appears to have mo.n.price in a fancy writing on the side of it, there is no other writing other then the serial number. i have done alot of google searches on this mo.n.price and have found nothing but other users trying to find out the maker of the gun, but nobody seemsto know.help please, thanks

Post subject: Re: mo.n.price 20 gauge shotgun? can't find anything on it.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 pm 
Crown Grade

You can help yourself, with a description that's a little more complete than "a 20ga shotgun".

For instance:

What kind of shotgun is it ? A single barrel, or double barrel ?

If a double, are the barrels side-by-side (SxS) or superposed (O/U) ?

If a single barrel, is it a break-open action, a bolt-action, a slide/pump action, or a semi-automatis magazine gun ?

What is the barrel(s) length ?

Since most guns are marked by their makers in some way, the barrel(s) might have to be dismounted in order to see them (stamped into the underside).
Does it have any marks there, and what are they (details, please) ?

Pix would help immensely ( a tutorial is posted in the forum's FAQ's)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 am 
Utility Grade

My husband recently had a couple of very old and rusty shotguns cleaned and they look great, one is a single barrel, break open, unknown gauge. It has in very elegant script "Mo, N. Price", but no other identifing markings. We think it must be from the early 1900's but cannot find any info either. Any ideas???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:51 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't have anything on the name either but that is no surprise. The gun is most likely a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun and was made some time between 1880 and 1940. There were so many guns of this type made and not all of the names were recorded. The only name I have that comes close is J.W. PRICE and that was used on guns made by the Stevens Arms & Tool Company. Take a look at the bottom of the barrel under the forearm for any proof marks. That will establish the country of origin. Guns made in Belgium will have the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown over that while guns made in England will have either crossed scepters or halberds (spear/battle axe) with a crown on top and letters in the intersections. American made guns will have nothing. I have to ask this. Please go back and check the markings one more time. Don't abbreviate or change anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 pm 
Utility Grade

We have determined that it is a 16 ga. It has "Patented August 12, 1913" on the top of the barrel. The only other marking is an I in a circle located on the right-hand side of the gun on the metal part that is above the trigger about 1/2" from where it breaks from the barrel. I appreciate the help, we don't plan to sell the gun, it is a family keepsake, just curious as to the origin and the value.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Of course the gun could be from anywhere, but would it help to know that my husband's family immigrated to Central Texas from Germany in the mid 1800's. We still live in the same area, they didn't travel far, probably never left the state. My husband thinks the gun belonged to his grandfather who was born in the late 1800's. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:43 am 
Crown Grade

With a patent date of August 12 1913, the gun could not have been made before that date could it?
I can find no listing for an "I" in a circle but will keep looking. One more favor please. Look on the bottom of the barrel under the forearm for any marks like the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown over that. Maybe we can pin down the country of origin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Think I found it! By the patent date. The Stevens Arms & Tool Company used that patent date on several guns they made.
Also think that the markings are worn or rusty or just dirty and maybe difficult to read. I found one listing for a J.W. PRICE shotgun made by the Stevens Arms & Tool Company for and was sold by the Belknap Hardware Company of Louisville, KY. The way to identify a Stevens gun is to look where the butt stock joins the fame/receiver. The wood butt stock will have two (one on each side) projections that fir into corresponding cutouts in the frame.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks, my son has the gun at his house and he is out of town on business, I will get the info for you asap. He will be back in a few days.