CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 1100 Slide Block Buffer going going...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:00 am 
Tournament Grade

gone on one of my 1100's, mostly gone on another one. What happens when the last little pieces of nylon fall out? It appears the exposed part of the 12 ga buffer is gone completely and looking down the hole for it, I can see the retaining pin for the plunger.

Note: This is not the Bolt Buffer but the Breech Bolt Return Plunger Buffer at the end of the Action Bar.

If I can order these tiny parts from somewhere? Is it probable that I can use a very small drift and knock out the retaining pin and replace the buffer myself and from which side does the pin come out? How and what does the "Breech Bolt Return Plunger" do anyway?

I figure a few of you gun hands must know just what this 1100 Plunger Buffer business is and would you share this bit of gun-smithing repair expertise?

PS. I saw on the Remington parts diagram that it appears that the 1187 and 1100 have these same parts? Might they be the same size? If so I could order "new" instead of hunting for "no longer available."

Thanks large in advance and

Happy Holidays

DogTrot's favorite trots (photos)http://www.panoramio.com/user/2727214

" Man has mounted science and is now run away with." Henry Adams, 1862

Post subject: Re: Remington 1100 Slide Block Buffer going going...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:26 am 
Presentation Grade

You should be able to order them directly from Remington. It absorbs shock in forward movement. I believe you drift it out right to left. PN#'s F15827 plunger spring, F15711 retaining ring, F91199 plunger, F91198B buffer, F94555 retaining pin. All numbers are the same for 11-87/1100.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks 1CYLON3,

Especially for the PN# references from Remington.

I need to replace the buffers on the 20 ga and a 12 ga. The last piece of the 20's buffer fell out during the last inspection. One side of it's pin hole must be covered up by the bluing or paint, I'll have to sand off a bit to find it.

It looks like a pretty straight forward repair, if I can find a suitable drift or thin nail to tap out the pin. Evidently the 12 hasn't had a buffer for a while and it doesn't appear any damage has occurred.

Replacing the nylon buffers in these old 1100's after thousands of rounds must be a common maintenance and repair item. It's a small thing to ask to keep these great old guns running well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Rule of thumb. Right out unless you want it left in.
Apparently Remington has experimented with different plastic formulations over time. Being owned by Dupont for a long while I would have thought they had the ultimate knowledge base, but - I have seen a lot go bad, but my 1963 and 1966 and 1970 and 1977 versions all have the originals are still going strong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks Virginian,

Looks like I'll be making up a New Years list for Remington in a few days. I'd like to repair rather than replace the action bars, especially since I need to do more than one. I've successfully done some staking and If I can replace some buffers, I'll be feeling just Capital. Then if I can just start hitting a few more of those skeet birds, I'll need a size bigger hat.

Thanks again. I'll post results when it's done, good or bad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

While preparing an order for Remington I found the Slide Block Buffer to be so popular a repair item, it's listed in the Remington Country Store, Gun Parts section, near the bottom of the page. So I ordered 3 of them, plus as I'm sure Remington Country Store marketing folks desired. I also bought a few other less necessary gift type items. Happy post Christmas shopping. :roll:

http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/partsPaging.aspx?layout=0&number=3&catalogid=1&categoryid=3564&topcat=1038

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Repaired...

Yesterday I replaced the small Breech Bolt Return Plunger Buffers that are located on the end of the Action Bar, on two Remington 1100's. The Buffer assembly parts on the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge were the same size. However, the Operating Handle Retaining Ball and spring is not part of the Return Plunger Assembly on the 20 gauge.

After removing the Action Bar and cleaning it, I used a couple of pieces of hardwood to block it in place and keep it from moving. I used one of the blocks to raise and support the Slide Block to remove the Return Plunger Retaining Pin. Using a 1/16 drift punch, I removed the Pin, starting from the side of the Sliding Block where the Retaining Pin hole was visible. It took a couple of fairly strong taps to get the Retaining Pin moving.

Knowing the Return Plunger is spring loaded, I placed a towel to catch any parts that might come flying out as the Retaining Pin was removed. This was not necessary in this case. With the Retaining Pin removed, I could not get the plunger and old Buffer to come out, even after several tries and using the pliers with some fairly strong pulls.

What to do? I called the Remington Arms Co. repair number listed on their web site, wondering if this huge corporation would even let me talk to a repairman. Surprisingly, I got to talk with a gent named Travis who was familiar with the parts and repair I was stuck on. I was instructed to grab the plunger with the pliers again and apply a stronger pull. Relieved, I returned to the task at hand and pulled very hard and wiggled the plunger this way and that and out it came. The spring stayed in its place. Nothing flew out.

The Washer that is part of the Return Plunger Assembly is a tight fit and was what provided most of the resistance to remove it. The remainder of the old Buffer was also a tight fit which added to the resistance. On the 12 gauge, the steel ball that holds the Operating Handle in place rolled out when the Plunger Return Spring was removed. The 20 gauge Operating Handle Detent Ball is not part of the Return Plunger Assembly.

The Return Plunger, Spring, Detent Ball and Slide Block hole, were all cleaned and mucked out and re-greased. It appeared that the original lubricant was a grease and I chose to use an automotive axle grease as a replacement. I'm sure some will use other lubricants. I doubt that it will matter much.

After cleaning and lubricating, the Detent Ball went in first, then the Return Spring, next the Return Plunger with it's Washer was placed over its hole. The Washer was a tight fit and I used a piece of copper tube that I placed over the Plunger and tapped the Washer down into place. Next the Buffer was placed on the Plunger. It, too, is a tight fit and I put a little grease on the end to get it started. At this point I used a 12 inch Channel Lock pliers and adjusted it wide for a perfect bite to squeeze the new Buffer into place. Once the Buffer was in place it was tight and would not spring out. Yours may be different.

Next came the drill motor with a 1/16 inch drill. The drill is used to create a shallow channel in the new Buffer for the Retaining Pin. Use the hole for the Retaining Pin and drill once or twice through and then blow out the debris. The Retaining Pin has a bevel end and the opposite end has small fins to lock it in place in the hole. Lube the bevel end of the Pin to get it started and to help hold it in place and tap it with the light hammer to start it. Finish drifting the Pin into place with a larger drift till it is flush with the side of the Slide Block. Wipe off any debris, take the Channel Lock pliers and test the Plunger for it's spring back function. It may be a little tight but it must be free to move back and forth.

Now, you're all done with your repair and replacement of the Breech Bolt Return Plunger Buffer. Look to see how your new Buffer stands proud from the face of the Slide Block and will now prevent hard metal to metal contact between the Breech Bolt and Slide Block. Reassemble your 1100 and you're back in business.

I spent about two hours doing this repair on the first 1100, most of the time was spent gathering tools and setting up a comfortable work space, examining parts and thinking out methods to remove and replace the parts. Replacing the Buffer on the second gun took about half an hour. These parts are very small, take extra care to keep them from falling off your work space. The cost for the parts involved are about $3.50 each from Remington not including shipping. I ordered only 3 buffers and used two of them. Perhaps I should have replace the springs too. I would if I were to do this job again. This turned out to be a fairly straight forward repair and by doing it myself, saved me, my guess, about $60 dollars or more. Which is not really savings because I'll apply it straight to the skeet field. For more complicated repairs I'm grateful there are competent gunsmiths available.

Thanks to Shotgunworld.com forum and it's the readers and posters who offered advice on this repair and to Remington Arms Co., their parts and repair people, Owner's Manuals and for their excellent 1100 series shotguns.

Terms used in this repair:

Breech Bolt Return Plunger
Breech Bolt Return Plunger Retaining Ring (Washer)
Operating Handle
Operating Handle Detent Ball
Operating Handle Plunger Retainer
Operating Handle Detent Spring
Action Bar Assembly
Slide Block Buffer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

congratulations, nice pics to!