CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review of my new Yildiz special me 20 gauge.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:41 pm 
Field Grade

I bought me a Yildiz special me 20 gauge the day after Christmas. The gun shoots as good as it looks. I went to the local skeet center where they are real friendly. The gunsmith their put a little grease on the pins and other wear spots for me. That was a good piece of info. to have because the owners manual did not tell me that.
The only complaint I have is that the Academy web site says it comes with a skeet choke but comes with cyl., imp cyl., mod., imp. mod. and full. I don't blame Yildiz the chokes listed are the same ones that the owners manual says comes with the gun. Academy needs to know what they are selling.
I shot just 25 rounds through it I am learning to shoot skeet so I only hit 11 out of 25. I am going back tomorrow to shoot at least 50 rounds of skeet or trap.

Post subject: Re: Review of my new Yildiz special me 20 gauge.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:04 pm 
Field Grade

you might want to be careful, thats how i started out, just stoped to shoot a round, three pw loaders a couple xs skeet brownings a 870pump 410 a set of chamber mate tubes and still thinking about getting more stuff, i have not missed a sunday shooting in a year, i take that back a week ago or so the snow was blowing so bad we could not see the skeet houses.
keep it fun
troe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Way to go Michael, you are really going to like the 20 Ga. Do you reload?? I worked up a 5/8 ounce load for my 20 Ga and my wife really enjoys shooting it, easy on the shoulder and is deadly on doves!!! A big plus is it also cycles in her Beretta Urika 2 391 20 Ga.

cdb

Last edited by cdb1097 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:15 pm 
Field Grade

cdb1097 wrote:
Way to go Michael, you are really going to like the 20 Ga. Do you reload?? I worked up a 5/8 ounce load for my 20 Ga and my wife really enjoys shooting it, easy on the shoulder and is deadly on doves!!! A bug plus is it also cycles in her Beretta Urika 2 391 20 Ga.

cdb

No I don't reload. I have been considering it but spent my extra money on the gun. I have been told that I want save any money reloading because Wal-Mart has the 100 round value packs for $21.99. I do realize that I can load shells to help my skeet shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In the 20 and the 12 gauge, you won't save "big" money reloading, but you can save $0.04 to $0.08 per shell, especially if you load light loads thereby saving on shot.

But all things considered, reloading for the 20 or 12 is not a "profit making enterprise". On the other hand, if you have time on your hands or just want to get away from the TV it can be fun and cut your costs of shooting a bit.

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

OMG has a whole new meaning. OBAMA MUST GO!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:28 pm 
Field Grade

Did anyones gun come with a skeet choke or is this just a misprint on Academy's web site. I don't think that it is much of a difference in the skeet choke or the cyl. or imp. cyl. that I used today...is there?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hi Mike

My 20 came with one skeet choke, but I added Briley Skeet's to both barrels.

You can install cyl & skt, or, skt and imp cyl for the skeet field if you have only the factory chokes.

BTW, the Pro Factor, (& Brileys if any are left), skeet chokes are on sale at Academy for around $6 each.

Cyl bore is no choke at all, skeet is next, Imp Cyl is next, then Mod, then Imp Mod, and finnaly, Full.

The Y's factory chokes are labeled with notches. 5 notches is cyl bore, and 1 notch is full.

They are very small increments in constriction from each step. You can find a chart showing the actual measurements of each on the internet if you look around.

Take care 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2fewdaysafield wrote:
In the 20 and the 12 gauge, you won't save "big" money reloading, but you can save $0.04 to $0.08 per shell, especially if you load light loads thereby saving on shot.

But all things considered, reloading for the 20 or 12 is not a "profit making enterprise". On the other hand, if you have time on your hands or just want to get away from the TV it can be fun and cut your costs of shooting a bit.

Agreed, you will not save a ton reloading 12 & 20, but you can build special loads, light loads for the recoil sensitive (Wife), light loads for target practice, on those days when you shoot 150-200 rounds. You can also build loads you can't buy, try and find a 3/4 ounce 12 Ga. load, or a 5/8 ounce 20 Ga load. Gets you away from the TV (yep), and a whole lot more fun busting clays with something you made yourself :D :D Or missing a clay with a shell you made yourself :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
But you are correct, no real big savings in 12 & 20. The other down side is your gun, your shells, you miss, your fault, nothing else to blame :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cdb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Michael M wrote:
Did anyones gun come with a skeet choke or is this just a misprint on Academy's web site. I don't think that it is much of a difference in the skeet choke or the cyl. or imp. cyl. that I used today...is there?

Being honest, there is not a huge difference between Cyl, SK1, SK2 and even IC. And given that these are mass market choke tubes you really should pattern all your tubes with the different types of ammo you use. It's not all that unusual for a tube to be marked as one thing but to pattern entirely different than its marking depending on the load.

The other thing is....if you hit the bird, you hit the bird. If you miss, you miss. A more open choke just isn't going to buy you too many more broken birds. That's why the really good shooters can hunt geese or pheasants with a 20 or 28 gauge and knock 'em down just as dead or deader than I can with a 12 gauge. If you center your target in the pattern it will break for fall. If you miss, it won't. I can shoot skeet with M/M or Sk1/SK2, but seldom will it change my score by 1 bird if at all.

Best....2few

Robert E. Lee's 200th birthday was 1/19/07. I hope AP Hill takes that hill at Gettysburg in every dream he has. Freedom isn't free. 11B; 54E20

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2few is absolutely correct, you do not want to become a choke wh_ _ e like me, 15 guns with choke tubes and 111 chokes!! :roll: :roll: :oops: Choke lube cost me more than the guns :lol: :lol:
And keeping track of all of them :roll: :roll:

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:57 am 
Field Grade

Thanks 2 few and cdb1097 you two have been alot of good help for me. I am glad I found this site.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We're glad you did too Michael M! Don't be a stranger!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cdb1097 wrote:
2few is absolutely correct, you do not want to become a choke wh_ _ e like me, 15 guns with choke tubes and 111 chokes!! :roll: :roll: :oops: Choke lube cost me more than the guns :lol: :lol:

cdb

That's just you being a "guy" cdb! I mean what good is a girlfriend if she doesn't come with some toys? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 pm 
Field Grade

Just got back from shooting 50 rounds of skeet (two boxes of shells). I did not to to well but the gun preformed good. My top ejector has a hard time ejecting sometimes but everyone tells me after everything loosens up it should work better. So far for the money the Yildiz O/U is a lot of gun for the money.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hey Michael M....

"Sticky" ejectors seems to be a common problem with the Y-Guns. It seems to come from preservative they use to protect the guns in their journey by sea from Turkey to the US. A lot of time often passes from the time the gun is completed and packed to the time the gun is purchased from an Academy Store.

During that time the preservative seems to dry up a bit and often makes the ejectors "balky" or "sticky". I've had no problems with mine, but that is because SGRSS20 really slicks them up before he ships them to us here in "No Academy Land".

If you will look around the forum a bit, there have been several threads on this very issue. When you have a little extra time, look through the forum and you will find instructions on ways to take the ejectors apart and clean them. This seems to solve the problem nicely Just be careful!!!!....if you don't do it right, there are small springs and pins that seem to like to get flung across the room never to be found again! :shock:

Read a few threads on how to clean the ejectors, do it carefully and you should have no problems.

If you have any trouble finding the threads with instructions, let me know and I'll dig a few up for you.

Best....2few

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

2fewdaysafield wrote:
cdb1097 wrote:

cdb

That's just you being a "guy" cdb! I mean what good is a girlfriend if she doesn't come with some toys? :lol: :lol: :lol:

HAHA you got that right 2few, I have one gun, that other one of Turkish descent I have extra full turkey, extra full, full, Light full, Improved Modified, Modified, Light Modified, Skeet 1, Skeet 2, Improved Modified, and Cylinder. Of the 11 I think I have used only 4 :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:

cdb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'd say that sweetheart has some toys!!! But at least you keep her happy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's a common malady to think "that other" choke tube is just what you need to make you hit everything :lol: :lol: One can get caught up in tubes and measurements like Chuck and I have in the past. Cyl .000, sk1 .0005 and IC .009 of choke, are all fine for most skeet shooting. SK2 is actually a misnomer in the standard skeet game---it is a LM choke of about .012 that is sometimes used in DOUBLES skeet from all stations when you have ties and a shoot off. Even then it isn't needed if you shoot them properly, which means quickly, from station 4. Or it is used in international (low gun) skeet for the second shot. You don't see standard SK2 tubes anymore, but the big tube makers have them for some guns.

Whatever you call the tube, just remember that each .005 is worth about 5 more yards in achieving an effective pattern, starting at 20yds with cyl. (we won't talk turkey) In addition, there is a slight diff between gauges especially when you get to 28 and 410caliber (410 really changes the performance of said tubes).

An alternative to opening the fixed chokes of a fine gun, is spreader loads which can be quite effective.

Few is right on about the ejector problems. I will answer michael with a PM on his problem and fixes and help with a very tight gun.

HAPPY NEW YEAR --- almost :H

reed

obama's gonna go to hell!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Reed. Did my PM make to you about hiring you to tweek my gun?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes Mike----trying to get to your answer!

reed

obama's gonna go to hell!