CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mossberg 500 v. weatherby pa 8
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:06 am 
Utility Grade

I am looking to buy my first shotgun, and am looking or something relatively inexpensive (I can get both of these for 300). I have it narrowed down to these two guns. Is one of these better than the other? what the general opinion here? It seems from research that the mossberg is tried and true, but i havnt seen any bad reviews for the weatherby

/ is there some other gun in that price range that i totally missed?

Post subject: Re: mossberg 500 v. weatherby pa 8
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:09 am 
Field Grade

i personaly like the mossberg 500. i have one and i love it.. the other i would recomend is the remmington 870 express... check out youtube the have pretty good gun reviews there. thats what helped me narrow down my search. it is a good sourch for pros and cons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 am 
Diamond Grade

I have both, a older Mossberg 20 and a new PA-8 and the PA-8 is sure the best looking pump out there. The PA-8 is a smoother operating gun and is well built. I would go for the PA-8. Weatherby has good service but lets be fare, the Mossberg has stood the test of time.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:58 pm 
Field Grade

all are good guns... you just need to find the gun for you. some things to consider... the size of the barrell, does the gun "feel" right when you hold it, price is a biggie, and aplication. my mossberg is the perfect home-defence gun ... but i would never take it hunting. it was cheap. had plenty of accesories, but is loud. there are other perks to the mossberg ..like the slide release was on the left , and close to the stock ...i like that the barrell can be changed with ease . you pretty much just uscrew. and i like the tang safety. (only draw back on that is that with some aftermarket stocks the safety has to be replaced with a smaller. also it is plastic and should be converted to metal...$3.00 fix)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:36 pm 
Crown Grade

I have four Moss. 500s and one 535ATS right now. They have never needed a repair. If they ever do parts are available with a click of a mouse at VERY low prices. Parts can be at your door in a few days, and you can fix nearly anything on these guns yourself, plus they are American made. Or you can buy the other gun. Just remember, Weatherby does not make shotguns, and never did. They are just an importer that is very good at marketing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:30 am 
Diamond Grade

Browning doesn't make any shotguns eather, they just put there name on them, so what???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Just wanted him to be aware of this fact, and to know that Mossberg builds their own guns in America. It matters to some people. I include myself in that group. I own foreign built guns, too, but try not to buy them new in order to keep some of my money in my country. It is hard to do nowdays, but I believe we should at least give this a thought. I just remembered Mossberg also sells imported guns. I think I'm fighting an uphill battle that we are all losing. :x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:35 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 20 ga New Haven (house brand Mossberg M-500) that I have enjoyed for 32 years and wouldn't want to part with.

That said, I wouldn't want a brand new M-500. My old New Haven isn't a "fine gun" by any stretch but it is reasonanly attractive with its highly figured mahogany stocking. It was very smooth in operation when new and is very slick now. It is a functional field gun. It is everything that I suspect a new M-500 is not.

My dad paid $139.99 + tax for mine back in 1979. That is about equal to $425.00 today. Logically, if they built Mossberg 500s like mine now, they should cost about $425.00. But they don't. I suspect the reason is simply that they aren't made like they were 32 years ago.

I would save my money. If you can scrounge up $300.00, you can eventually double that.

I would also consider a pre-owned gun. This opens up the choices greatly, and includes guns in a class of quality notches above what you're considering. I think a used 11-87 or 1100 Remington autoloader would be much more satisfying to own and use than a cheap pump gun for most people. A pal of mine recently scored a deal on a nice Miroku (Chas. Daly import) over / under for around $800.00. That is a gun with real pride of ownership, durability, and resale value.

If you have to have a pump gun, really nice Ithaca M-37's and the occasional M-12 Winchester can be found for not much more than $400.00 on the used market. You'll get more for your money with either than I think you would cheaping out to buy a new Mossberg or Weatherby pump.

Look at it this way. Tomorrow, after church, I am going out to shoot a round of Sporting Clays. It is a 300 mile round trip for me so I'll burn about $40.00 in gas getting there and getting home. I need to feed my 11 year old "puller" and I might as well eat, too. So there's $20.00 worth of Whataburger to add on. Then thee is the ammo which will run about $25.00. And finally, my club gets $30.00 for a 100 shot full round on their sporting course. Add it up and we're on trak for a $100.00 day. Shooting is like that and this is where the expense really is. It isn't in the hardware. You only have to buy that once if you buy quaility first and if you ammortize the cost over time, buying good hardware isn't really that costly in the grand scheme of things.

JP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:32 am 
Crown Grade

You "suspect" the new Mossbergs are not built as well as yours. Interesting. I have owned them with single action bars on up and have three new ones and two old ones right now. The build quality has not diminished. The wood is a money saver, no doubt, but it works. You need to shoot some new ones. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:20 am 
Tournament Grade

My 500 has never failed to put ptarmigan in my freezer whenever I pull the trigger. Well made, very light (synthetic stock), points and swings like I'm pointing a finger. The action was a bit rough at first, but smoothed out fairly quickly with use. It's a gun I'd highly recommend.

I haven't shot a PA-08, but I've had one in my hands. Also a nice light gun, seems solidly built, and the action was like butter. Didn't seem to fit me as well as the Mossy, but that's entirely a personal preference thing and should have no bearing on your own decision.

Try them both and see which one feels better. If it doesn't feel right you probably won't shoot right.