CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: j.manton shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking for value on a J.Manton double barrel shotgun that my grandmother has.
It has J.Manton engraved on both sides. It says J.Manton London Fine Twist on the steel on top between the barrels. It has a gold shield like pc secured on the bottom near the back of the stock. The barrels are about 31" long; the total gun length about 47-1/2". . I cant find a serial number if there is one and not sure how to remove the barrels if nescessary. Any info you can give would be appreciated. Thank you.
Darren

Post subject: Re: j.manton shotgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:58 pm 
Crown Grade

J. MANTON (JOSEPH MANTON & CO) name used on shotguns made by by one of two makers. First the name was used by Henri Pieper a Belgian maker located in Liege, Belgium. Second the name was also used by an unknown English maker. To determine which made the gun you will have to look at the bottom of the barrels for proof marks. To do this I will have to answer your second question, how to remove the barrels. To remover the barrels from the frame, remove the forearm. You do this by pulling down on the front of the forearm if there is no release lever showing. The forearm will pop off. Once the forearm is off, open the barrels as if you were loading the gun, The barrels will tilt down (off) and can be then lifted off the frame. Reinstall in reverse order. Proof marks will be found on the bottom of the barrels, and will indicate the country of origin. Belgian made guns will have the letters "ELG" in an oval with a crown over that while English made guns will have crossed scepters or halberds (spear-battle axe) with a crown on top and letters in the intersection. I suspect you have an English made gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:23 am 
Utility Grade

I believe the second part is correct. I see the spear axe cross thing and then stamped 11 and then the spear-axe again. It looks the same on both barrels except it looks like there is also a an additional 13 stamped on one barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:17 am 
Crown Grade

O.K. thanks for the come back. As I said the maker is unknown but I can make a guess that the gun was made sometime between 1880 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Europe (England). As to value, that will depend on the guns condition, the amount of original finish remaining on the metal and wood as well as the mechanical condition. The gun falls into a classification known as a "Trade Brand Name" shotgun. That is a shotgun made by some major maker for and sold by a wholesaler or retailer or in this case an imported who chose the name to go on the gun. Guns of this period were designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the time and for the ammunition in use back then. They most likely will have damascus barrels chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells loaded with black powder and lead shot. They were not designed for modern high pressure smokeless powder 3 inch or magnum shells loaded with steel shot. I have to recommend that you don't attempt to shoot the gun. Values can range from a high of maybe $200 for a prime example that appears to have come out of the factory yesterday afternoon to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk fit only for parts salvage or a fire place poker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your info. I appreciate the history. It is in nice condition; slight rust on the barrels but everything seems to be in working order. I will let her know. Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:37 am 
Utility Grade

I am following this thread and have realized the proof marks on my barrels indicate Belgian origin. I am also curious as to the value of this gun I have inhierited from my father.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Wow! Following a two and a half year old thread. You should know most of the information by now including value which ain't much. As to the Belgian proof marks ("ELG" in an oval), your gun was most likely made by Henri Pieper or as they were later known Anciens Establissment Pieper. a very large maker of inexpensive shotgunslocated in Liege,Belgium. And the gun was also most likely made some time between 1880 and 1914 when World War One cut off exports from Europe in general and Belgium in particular. As such, the gun is going to have damascus barrels and most of us here on the forum consider it unsafe to shoot. The gun was designed and made using the technology and metallurgy of the times in which it was made and for the ammunition in use back then which was 2 1/2 inch shotshells loaded with black powder and lead shot. Th e gun was not designed to shoot longer,2 9/16 or 2 3/4 inch shotshells loaded with smokeless powder and certainly not 3 inch magnums loaded with high pressure smokeless powder, steel shot or solid slugs. My suggestion is hang it on the wall or put it in a gun cabinet.