CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brenneke slugs???
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does anyone have any experience with the 20 ga Brenneke KO slugs?

They look like they might be a bit milder than some of the other stuff out there.

Post subject: Re: Brenneke slugs???
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:49 am 
Field Grade

The KO is an improved Foster type slug with excellent penetration. The K.O is an ideal deer load and offers superb accuracy at medium ranges. Like all other Brenneke slugs it has build in guaranteed knockdown power. Calibre: 12 GA 2 ¾” Weight: 437 grs, 28,4g Game: deer, wild boar, coyote barrel: smooth and rifled chokes: all range: up to 60 yards

Spec's are for a 12 ga.

Just pasted this in for you to look at if you haven't already. It looks like it's good to only 60 yeads which would be good for most cover hunting, deer, etc.

RGJZ06

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

FB, I can't offer you insight on the 20ga version, but if you're looking to shoot hogs down here the brennekes are a good choice.

Another alternative, although I've not had good luck with them, are the 20ga lightfields. They have been deforming into frisbees and deflecting. They are accurate as heck in my gun if that's worth noting.

The Brenneke KO's I've been shooting in 12ga 2 3/4" so far only (but I'm thinking of trying them in a 20ga,) and have been very pleased with the performance. One notable recent shot at close range went down through the top of the skull, through the spine into the body cavity, took out the heart and lodged outside the ribs under the skin, perfect straight line through everything. The slug kept ~100% of it's weight, did not deform much, and penetrated very well on a hog that field dressed at 165. I can post pics of the slug as I have it laying around.

For comparison:
20ga Brenneke KO 2 3/4": 383grns @ 1,476 ft/sec = 1,606 ft/lbs
20ga Lightfield EXP 2 3/4": 383grns @ 1,500 ft/sec = 1,923 ft/lbs

Based on comparing the above mfr's website-stated info, there's a rat in the woodpile somewhere! I think that's why you're asking about the "weakness" of the brenneke's, no?

If you can get away with a 3" shell, maybe you can look at the 3" mag version; 437grns @ 1,476 ft/sec = 2,120 ft/lbs.