CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Benelli M2 - My review (I decided to go for it)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:04 am 
Field Grade

This post was right on time I have the M2 on my short list for a do all SG.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:15 am 
Utility Grade

I have had my M2 since 06. Ran about 2500 rounds through it, mostly 1 1/8 oz dove loads. Not one single malfunction. i have patterned it with 3" 2oz turkey loads, and field loads. Recoil is heavy, but I have found you need to hold buttstock tightly to shoulder, seems like it helps the kickpad to work. My first auto was a Winchester model 1 I got in 1977, if I hadn't broke it I would still be using it. The light weight and reliability make this gun better than any other auto I have shot. I look forward to not needing to buy another auto for the rest of my shooting career.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Bought the M2 today in black 26"bbl, 12ga. I love it already! Ive wiped it all down, added a light coating of oil and its ready to go for tomorrow to shoot! I have a stoeger m2000, and after it I decided I wanted something similar that met all my needs before. The m2 fits great and is very light weight...will probably add a limbsaver but its a great gun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:14 am 
Limited Edition

I bought the M2 black 26".....shot it hard for a couple days thinning out a huge flock of pigeons @ a dairy barn....like shooting doves in Argentina....next day shot quail....then to Texas for Rio turkeys... won a local skeet shoot with it back home...then cleaned it.....a great go to do it all gun.
I kept my Beretta 390...I've documented over 10,000 rds thru it with one malfunction that I recall.
The Beretta has less recoil, but then again it is a gas operated heavier gun.
The Benelli is much easier to maintain/clean, and works flawlessly in cold weather duck blinds where the Beretta always cycled slow after a box of 3 inch magnums....it never failed to cycle, just cycled slow.
If had to pick just one, I'd probably lean toward the M2...heck of a gun.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:33 am 
Tournament Grade

thanks for the review....

-Brady-

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Great thread ..

I picked up one

Light easy to shoot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Whats the difference between the Montefeltro and the M2? How does the Super Sport compair to the Montefeltro and M2 as far as recoil and muzzle rise?

.45ACP is......(mind wandering)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Got my left-handed M2 as a christmas present for myself in 09' and have loved every shot fired. Mostly used for trap and skeet shooting. For the first shells fired I went back to my old stomping grounds and used it to bag a few ringnecks. The gun is amazingly well balanced and light. With trap shooting I've done really well and I won't comment on my skeet abilities. Easy to clean and maintain. All I have left to do is find a good HD gun and I'll be done shopping for SG's. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:52 pm 
Field Grade

I have been trying to decide if to get a Benelli M2 for sometime. I purchased a used (less than 50 rounds fired) Remington 1187 Premier and was disappointed to find out that it will not shoot the ton of Walmart Winchester shot gun shells I have. Looks like the 1187 is going up for sale and a Benelli M2 will replace it. Too bad as the premier polished, engraved and has beautiful walnut on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:11 am 
Tournament Grade

awmp wrote:
I have been trying to decide if to get a Benelli M2 for sometime. I purchased a used (less than 50 rounds fired) Remington 1187 Premier and was disappointed to find out that it will not shoot the ton of Walmart Winchester shot gun shells I have. Looks like the 1187 is going up for sale and a Benelli M2 will replace it. Too bad as the premier polished, engraved and has beautiful walnut on it.

You won't be disappointed! Ive had a few thousands rounds through my M2, always cycled cheap walmart trap loads and any other 2 3/4" shell as well as all my 3" steel reloads. It has functioned flawlessly, awesome gun!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:43 pm 
Field Grade

I've had an M2 for just over a year, I only use it for shotgun sports so it has only had target loads through it. I've ran about 3,000 shells through it so far, including about 500 reloads. It's a great autoloader even for "low" loads. My 1oz load is probably equal to 2 3/4 dram or a little less and it cycles fine.

I've had 1 failure to eject when it was relatively new, and maybe one or two Benelli "clicks," when the rotating bolt fails to fully engage into the chamber, the firing pin doesn't strike the primer, you just hear the "click" of the hammer striking the pin. The "benelli clicks" were caused by my winter gloves hitting the bolt handle as it was moving forward.

I put the comfortech gel recoild pad on my satin walnut stock, and it has felt even more comfortable.

The only downside is by the ejection port gets marred up after a few thousand ejected hulls since it's made out of aluminum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:39 pm 
Field Grade

Well the review in the original post has cost a significant amount of money.

It convinced be to purchase a left handed M2 28" for clays. BTW the all black ones appear to have been removed from the 2011 catalog, so I grabbed one quick. I've a few hundred rounds through it and have the following comments.

My M2 currently does not like really light target loads, it ejects but the next round fails to rise on the lifter. The Remington Gun Club cycles in it just fine, so I happy with that. Obviously the may change with more rounds through the gun or I may eventually opt for the reduced power recoil spring available from Wolff. I'll give it time before going that route.

Edit - Fixed my cycling problem HERE

Recoil, I've read a lot of posts regarding how low the recoil is on the M2 and how you can't tell the difference between the M2 and the 391. I've now shot them side by side and I can tell you that I can tell the difference! The 391 is the softer recoiling of the two. Do I wish I'd purchased a 391... nope. I don't have a recoil problem with my OU and the M2 is just fine for me.
[edit] I had a further thought, I wonder if the recoil reduction in the M2 favors heavy/hunting loads? It might explain why some think the recoil to be equal to other gas guns while others think not.

I cleaned and lubed the entire gun before it's first outing, I've cleaned the barrel after shooting, But I may never have to clean the action/trigger ever again, it stays that clean.

I think my M2 and I will be happy together.
I now know why they don't tend to turn up on the used market.

All the best

Barry

EDIT
Fixed my cycling problem HERE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:09 am 
Limited Edition

Barry, yes that's where the comfortech really shines; heavy loads. AA Supersports in a SS seem lighter than they do in a 391. I do agree, a 1oz Fiocci or B&P will give the 391 a bit softer edge.

.45ACP is......(mind wandering)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Benelli's are fine shotguns. For guys like me who hate pampering a timid or picky shotgun that has to cleaned often to cycle, the Benelli is a joy as you hardly have to clean them. With regard to the finish, Benelli's consistently have a poor finish. Berettas generally have a nice finish and being under same parent company and similar price level you would think they would too. I have a Cordoba I am having Cerakoted for this very reason. Nice review.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I shot my M2 for the first time last week. This is not my first Benelli, but it is the first with the Comfort Tech stock. WOW! What an amazing difference it makes! I shot it back to back with my SBE and it is much softer on the shoulder. Unfortunately for my bank account, because of this gun I'm considering a SBEII or Super Vinci.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

As a long time Benelli shooter, I just bought my wife an M2 yesterday. I got it used for $500. I know what it's all about. I've had an M1 super 90 .20 and a SBE for a few years and they have all been great. I know this one will be the same. I am going to shorten the stock and it will be my wife's gun...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have been shooting my dad's 2007 or 2008 Super Black Eagle 2 and LOVE it. The CT stock is great and the recoil doesn't bother me. Most trips to the range include about 500 rounds of thrown clays so it could be punishing but the CT makes it a non issue. I currently have my eyes set on a Performance Shop Super Sport the the m2 is much closer to my price range and as far as i can tell the only difference between the SBE2 and the m2 is the 3.5" vs 3" chamber and the shape of the trigger gaurd. I do like the over sized trigger gaurd on the SBE2 though because i always shoot with gloves on. Oh and I'm looking at the black syn finish with the CT stock and the 28" barrel since i mostly shoot clays.

Here's the SBE2 before a light day at the range.

Benelli Vinci 12ga 28" Black
Benelli SBE2 12ga 26" APG HD
H&R/NEF Pardner Pump 12ga 28" cut to 19"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm 
Utility Grade

I like my Benelli shotguns too. I own an M2 in 12 and 20 ga and on older M1 in 20 ga. My only complaint is that is is hard to push a shell into the magazine. I can get a sore thumb after a 100 rounds. It is much more noticeable with the 20 gauges. I think its because to 20's are more narrow. Don't if there is anyway to lighten up the shell stop spring. That would help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:04 am 
Field Grade

Very good review! I have the exact same model and man do I LOVE it. You think paying $1000 for this gun is bad? Up in Canada I couldn't find one for less than $1700 taxes in.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just purchased an M2 today after looking at autos for a while. I was set on the versa max until I went to pick it up. I was less than impressed. I was dead set on a 3.5" gun. Having hunted for years with a 3" and never having a problem and looking at every gun in the store again, I made my mind up for the M2.

Should be a winner and it'll get some good use starting next weekend. Our 2nd split on duck season opens back up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next