CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: semi auto for trap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

how important is a a high rib for trap and what semi autos under $1500 would you recommend

Post subject: Re: semi auto for trap
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

In my opinion, the high rib is not necessary.....semi auto, I would recommend the Remington 1100- Classic Trap.It is a great trouble free gun and usually has beautiful wood
on it.
salesrep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

We all have differing opinions...but ....a Beretta 391 Parallel Target is my choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The high rib is a personal choice. It should be based on how your gun fits you and what you need. It should not be used because you think the gun will shoot higher with a tall rib; this is a fallacy.

As for a gun, what is your dedication to the sport? If you're really serious about it, consider an O/U. The auto becomes difficult when shooting Doubles because you will likely be throwing your empty shells at the shooter next to you. However, there is a way around that...

The Remington 1100 Competition has a deflector and just throws the shells about 1 foot in front and just to the right of the shooter. This way it won't bother the other shooters. Also, you can have a deflector added to any auto. Tron (Joe Bowles) can do this for you.

The Beretta 303 Special Trap is a great gun and can be found for less than $800. The newer 391 is also a great Trap gun.

Whatever you choose, take your time and do your research. You will be glad you did.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:32 am 
Tournament Grade

im starting to get more serious and i want to upgrade to a better gun than my stoeger, nothing against it. i cant spend enough for a b gun level o/u so i figured a semi would work and most of the quality semi autos shoulder pretty well for me. i figured i could just get a shell catcher but for now i hardly ever shoot doubles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Browning and Beretta O/Us are not out of your range. I see them used for less than $2k fairly regularly here in the classified section. In fact, you can probably still get a Citori XT brand new from Guns Unlimited for $2K. Here's a used one for $1,750: http://www.gunsamerica.com/971702575/Gu ... T_Trap.htm

The Cynergy is also kind of inexpensive right now. They can still be had for less than $2K as well. Here's one for $1,899:http://www.gunsamerica.com/994398505/Guns/Shotguns/Browning-Shotguns/Over-Unders/BROWNING_CYNERGY_SPORTING_WALNUT_3.htm

I'm not trying to drive you toward these guns. The point is that there are deals to be had so, don't settle for one when you really want something else. You've already gone the inexpensive route with your Stoeger. Shoot that one until you save up enough to get what you really want.

I shot Trap for a long time with a Remington Model 11. I saved up and finally got an O/U. It was worth the wait.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:11 am 
Diamond Grade

Listen to Rastoff. After you buy the semi auto that you don't really want, you will loose more money when you trade it later to get what you really want. Unless you get a really good deal on a semi auto, save up and get what you really want. Another o/u to look for the is the Browning special trap. It was the model before the XT. I seem them from time to time in good shape at www.jaquas.com and other places for around $1,400.
Doug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot and have done quite well with a Benelli Super Sport. Just added a few things to make it better for trap versus its design intent, SC...

1) Added a Briley 6oz weight that replaces the barrel take-down nut...
2) Added a factory High Benelli comb...
3) Add a Birchwood Casey shell catcher...
4) Machined and attached an extended bolt handle which helped chamber a round when the shell-catcher was attached...

I shoot this gun with Full choke at singles yardage and Full or XFull for hdcp. At 40 yds on the pattern board it shoots approximately 8-10" above POA with a 22" density pattern, which I find about perfect for my style.

To answer your question, the Benelli Super Sport would be considered a mid-rib design, although I have seen where Benelli calls it a high rib. IMO, I believe the shorter height of the rib is better than a high rib at the greater hdcp distances, say 23 yds and back...good luck

'Quiet eyes make you look good; and looking good breaks targets.' -- Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jack,
My Benelli SS is Identical to yours except for the shell catcher, POI is the same too along with 22" pattern. Really like mine, some trap and a lot of hunting.
DDF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The term "High Rib" is relative. Not everyone thinks of it the same. Here are some pics of what I mean:

This gun is actually called the High Post Rib-

This one is not called a high rib, but it sure looks higher-

This one is a low rib model-

This one looks high, but is actually a low rib gun relative to the comb-

So you see, it's all relative. The rib height needs to be considered in relation to the comb. How tall it looks is irrelevant otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lets' see now.

I have owned many brands and types of trap guns. And even built up a few from field guns as well. (As well as some custom made black powder trap guns.)

At least 8, maybe even 10 Berettas, including a competition 682 combo. (Now that was a good gun with the Unsingle barrel, but the O/U didn't shoot to the same point of impact. Bummer) (Two of the best shooters were old single shots, out of back in the late 1960's. One of which I still have.)

That last one, along with one of my two field, but built up into trap guns, a pair of BPS, are being used by a freshman high school kid on the school trap team today. (In less than 15 rounds of trap, and I do mean less than 15 rounds ever, after I got him started he had broken a perfect 25. Yep, we shot his cap!)

Now how long did it take you to shoot your first 25? :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

Close to the same number of Brownings, at least 4 BT99's, Citoris, etc, etc.

3 Mirukos, including a Charles Daley Empire Grade, (the only one that I still have.)

Two Remington's, a 870 Trap, and a 90T HPAR. (The 870 was gone in less than two weeks.) :roll: The 90T stayed a little longer, at least long enough for me to put $900 extra into it, trying to make it shoot right, and even shoot for that matter. $300 plus to rebuild the action, and $600 plus to put a rib on it, like on the gun pictured below.

One Peraz, TM1 that I soon hated.

And oh yeah, a Benelli Cordoba, which like the SS, I wouldn't really call a trap gun, except in the lightest use of the word "trapgun". But a bunch better than lots of other guns, if that is what I have with me. And I do love my Benellis! The Ultra Lights the best, just wish they had been available back in my prime.

What do I still have? 5 Berettas, all autos other than that one single shot. 1 UGB Excel 25, (plus another in the sport model), and three AL 303's. Two original "parallel stock" models, from even before they were called parallel stocks. One I have had forever, and the other just a few months, I picked it up for $600 with two extra barrels, one of which I sold for $265, so I now have $335 in the gun. And the one pictured below, which I would put up against any gun of any type or brand, out there. $500 in this one, not much to look at, but Doug, eat your heart out! That is a Simmons rib, and a "Dutchman" modified type stock. Likely that Simmons did it either when it was new, or at least very new anyway.

That brass looking bar just above the bolt actually is a piece of brass welding rod, silver brazed to the barrel extension. It had the old piano wire, stuck in the drilled holes when I acquired it, but it was a POS. This one is permanent, until heat or abrasion takes it off.

NRA Benefactor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have an 1100 classic trap and like it real well,and you can find them used reasonable also.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 am 
Tournament Grade

thank you rastoff, that made perfect sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:00 pm 
Field Grade

As for a gun, what is your dedication to the sport? If you're really serious about it, consider an O/U.

So if I shoot a semi auto I'm not a serious Trap Shooter? PLEASE!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rak wrote:
As for a gun, what is your dedication to the sport? If you're really serious about it, consider an O/U.

So if I shoot a semi auto I'm not a serious Trap Shooter? PLEASE!!!!

Are you directing this at me? If you are, maybe what I intended wasn't clear.

The type of gun you use and your dedication are not necessarily linked. The reason I suggest an O/U has to do with the shell ejecting. I only know of one shell catcher that can catch two shells. It is expensive and only works with a few guns. Any serious Trap shooter will shoot Doubles. You cannot use a traditional shell catcher and shoot doubles. This leaves you with the option of pelting your neighbor with your shells or having a deflector installed. The deflector is also expensive.

I guess "serious" was the wrong word. If you're going to shoot all the disciplines, an O/U is better suited to Trap. Is that better?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

I do agree an o/u is nicer to shoot doubles with but with a classic trap without the shell catcher they will leave the hulls right next to you because of the barrel tang design and you won't pelt a shooter.You will still have to pick your hulls up though if you reload.I consider my self a serious shooter and I use semi's all the time.We shot last night here in Illinois at under 20 degrees but naturally you won't find enough people around to shoot doubles trap till spring,I think they are less serious. :mrgreen: LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

so heres something ive been wanting cleared up for me. do trap specific guns shoot higher than say sporting or field guns. i only ask because ive found a cynergy classic field for 1400 and if i add some weight and extended chokes would it work well for trap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know I'm gonna get lit up for this, but here goes nothing.

No gun shoots any particular way by itself. The shooter is an integral function of POI. With a rifle you have two sights to line up. This makes it possible for two different shooters to shoot close to the same POI with a rifle. Shotguns are not that way.

Your rear eye is functionally the rear sight on a shotgun. Where do you anchor your cheek on the stock? How far is your eye from the anchor point? What is the angle of the rib relative to the bore? Do you sight along the rib? Do you look down on the rib a little? How do you move with the gun? Are you able to keep your cheek on the stock as you move? All these aspects are important to how the shotgun shoots.

So, do Trap guns shoot higher than Field guns? The pat answer is yes. The right answer is, it depends on the shooter.

You will be able to use the Cynergy Classic Field for Trap. You may need to add an adjustable comb or maybe not. I don't think you can go wrong with that gun. If you don't like it, resale should be close to the purchase price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:39 am 
Tournament Grade

yea ive been looking into installing an adjustable comb. the only knock on the gun is that it has 28in barrels and im use to 30 but i use to shoot 28 so im sure i can readjust, plus the extended chokes should help