CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Henry Morrow
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 am 
Utility Grade

Hi All, first post.

I recently got interested in shotguns after my wife got one.

Would like an English SxS that looks elegant,can be shot once in a while and won't break the bank.

Any opinions on this gun?
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Henry-Mo ... t103580280

having a hard time finding any info on Henry Morrow.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Henry Morrow
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi Ianr {hs# ,

Some info and personal observations for you:

Henry Morrow was in business in Halifax, Yorkshire and used that name from c.1886 to c.1890.
The company is first recorded as John Morrow in Halifax c 1874, then Charles Morrow until 1885. Obviously some family connection. They became Morrow & Co around 1897 and opened a further branch in Harrogate Yorkshire. No record of them after 1926.
Difficult to say if they made all the guns they sold, probably at least some were made in Birmingham and I think the Cabelas one is probably by Westley Richards.
With the Henry Morrow name that points to manufacture between 1886 & 1890 and the traces of original black powder proof marks would tend to confirm that.
The sleeving took place prior to 1986 so that is at least 25 years ago and there should be 'sleeved' marked somewhere on the barrels.

This has been a quality gun in its day but bear in mind it is now at least 120 years old and things wear out !. In that respect the ejector system could well be getting tired and gunsmiths familiar with it will be very thin on the ground.
Next is the 'off the face' situation. The gun would have been tight to withstand reproof after sleeving and should at least last for a mere 25 years :) . I imagine that at some time since then it has been fed a diet of 2 3/4" loads which will have shook things up a bit. To remedy the situation it will either need a new hinge pin or some tig weld on the hook, perhaps not too expensive but cash outlay nonetheless.
Lastly the wood being below the metal, this points to an over enthusiastic restoration or perhaps it has been refinished for the second time, or more. In any event it points to a fair amount of use.

Although it is a classy looking gun I would be wary, bear in mind Cabelas have already reduced the price and that on its own makes me wonder. If you could have it thoroughly examined by a competent 'English' gunsmith before handing over the $ that would be a great benefit but personally I would keep looking.

Post subject: Re: Henry Morrow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 am 
Utility Grade

Thank You for such an informed reply.

I'll keep looking!