It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
 Post subject: Re: Versa Max
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:37 pm 
Utility Grade

Quote:
Quote:
The Versa Max isn't perfect: as supplied, my personal quibbles are the trigger weight and the diminutive bolt release button. John McDonough of Poplar Bluff, Missouri, has advised me that the more generous bolt release button from the "Versa Max Tactical" is readily available from Remington as a loose part and is easy to install. That leaves the heavy trigger break as the sole culprit not easily rectified. According to Remington, the Tactical safety button face is part # F405390 and is available for $4.20. You also need the Tactical Feed Latch Assembly part # F405391 (part numbers subject to change) at $40. So, the total for the update 44.20 plus $9 S &H, or $53.20 delivered as of this writing.

I am looking to add a larger bolt release this to my left handed Versa Max but I am not sure it works the left handed version. Does anyone know if these will fit?

Is there a larger bolt handle that will fit the left handed version as well?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

So my VM has been thru 3 seasons of hard waterfowling and I love the gun. My one question I have is what are you guys running for chokes? I run a popular aftermarket brand but the high volume of steel shot has been slowly expanding the chokes just below the threads and they keep having to be replaced? Is something wrong with the part of my barrel where the choke is cut or should I try a different brand of choke? Wondering what everyone else has been using.

Thanks,

Chase

Good things come to those who shoot straight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:09 am 
Utility Grade

I've just been using the flush fit chokes that were included with the gun and have been satisfied with the results so far.

But I can't say that I have checked for wear I'm the area you mentionned. I'll give a look-see.

I've only had my VM for a little over a year so I've undoubtedly got quite a few less rounds than you through it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Mikey 1299 - I purchased a Briley bolt handle for my left handed VersaMax. It fits both left and right handed models.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:05 pm 
Field Grade

casonet wrote:
Same thing happened to me. Called Remington and they sent me a new and improved one free of charge

Interesting. I found mine using a metal detector.

So you believe the bolt handle has been modified in some manner to stay in the bolt better? My Versa Max is of the same vintage as TuJays first Versa Max. The trigger group was replaced, and I've completed the tweaks to improve reliability as discussed in this Thread. This is the first I've read of an improved Rem Versa Max bolt handle. Might have to look into it further... Maybe call Remington, if they're still in business!

Did they replace yours under their original warranty period. Or after the warranty had expired. I could have bought a new bolt handle for $50. Or a metal detector for $75. So I bought the metal detector. If I ever need it again, I figure I'll be $25 in the black! :s

Last edited by PaulDH on Mon May 07, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:07 pm 
Field Grade

ataboy wrote:
lost mine 10 to 15 times, Remington sent me the tactical handle and this one has never flew off.

I thought the tactical bolt handle only fit the tactical model Versa Max? No? Did they send you a new bolt also?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I did find the one that I lost and comparing with the replacement that Rem sent me, the replacement does snap in a little more snugly. I believe that it was modified. And, yes, I was far beyond the warranty period. Remington probably recognizes that the original bolt handles were flawed because they asked me for my serial number.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:30 am 
Field Grade

The tactical handle fits great. It is much lighter also so I don't know if that helps it from not flying out or not. I do know it has never fell out. I actually had Remington send me two of them because I own two Versa Max's and have had bad problems with loosing the handle on both of them. I think I lost around six regular ones and not one tactical handle.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 am 
Field Grade

You don't need a new bolt. If you look at the Waterfowl Pro model they come with the tactical bolt handle.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:07 am 
Field Grade

Good to know. Thanks for sharing that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3810 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 187, 188, 189, 190, 191